Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Bent Frame on 2019 Class A

We've got an almost new Class A DP(not a low end unit, MSRP was 400K) and have just had a strange problem hit us unexpectedly. We parked the rig and proceeded to drop the jacks to level it before opening slides, and one of them buckled outward. We took it to our repair facility thinking it was just a jack issue, but were told that it was actually the frame that had twisted or bent where the jack attaches and caused the jack to fail. Apparently they didn't figure the weight correctly when building the frame. It's going to be a huge repair, assuming FL can do it. We are concerned about the structural integrity of the frame going forward though! Has anyone experienced anything like this?
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That won't be a Freightliner repair. The manufacturer installs the leveler system so it will be their repair or an independent service center.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That won't be a Freightliner repair. The manufacturer installs the leveler system so it will be their repair or an independent service center.
X2 on it being American's problem. Most rigs that heavy have air leveling only as unless you are on concrete, the jack will end up pushing through even asphalt on a hot day. Which jack???
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you level the coach with more than one wheel off the ground?

We were in a campground in Virginia with a Tiffin DP next to us. They claimed they couldn't get the coach level, and proceeded to lift the whole coach to put blocking under all the tires and then all the jacks. (Not just a pad, but multiple levels on all jacks and tires).. Needless to say, the poor Tiffin didn't like that and all four jacks are now splayed out. We were just glad we left before they did!
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We really need more information. Saying the frame bent, doesn't tell us much. If you're frame rail bent, you've got big issues, but most jacks are welded to a bracket that is welded or bolted to the frame. If the bracket broke, that could just be a poor weld. They've been making the Discovery DP's for a long time, using the same chassis on every year model. I doubt that they suddenly have an issue.

If you can, please give us a more detailed description of WHAT actually bent.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #6

I will try to give more info, but what we have been told by the technician at the dealer service department (a very good tech we trust) is that the frame is twisted/bent. It is not the housing for the jacks that we had thought it may be, but it is definitely the actual frame of the motorhome - so it will end up being a FL issue. They don't think the actual jack caused it, but rather the weight of the unit being heavier than the frame was intended for. Our rig is not a Discovery anymore. Even the dealer service department said it's something they've only seen happen one or two times. All four wheels were on the ground, we were on pavement and it was already fairly level.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What brand is the coach. Your profile says Discovery.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Bummer deal. That is a significant design flaw. Hopefully the tech is wrong about the frame being overloaded and it was a bad frame weld or something. Otherwise, I don't think I'd want it back after they straighten it. What would prevent the issue from happening again. Further, there could be a roadworthy safety issue there too. You don't want that frame coming apart driving over railroad tracks on a highway.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
What brand is the coach. Your profile says Discovery.
It's another product by the same brand, I think I'll keep it at that.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Bummer deal. That is a significant design flaw. Hopefully the tech is wrong about the frame being overloaded and it was a bad frame weld or something. Otherwise, I don't think I'd want it back after they straighten it. What would prevent the issue from happening again. Further, there could be a roadworthy safety issue there too. You don't want that frame coming apart driving over railroad tracks on a highway.
Agreed! We are now wondering if we should get our insurance company involved or not? Keeping this rig with this situation is very concerning!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
X2 on it being American's problem. Most rigs that heavy have air leveling only as unless you are on concrete, the jack will end up pushing through even asphalt on a hot day. Which jack???
Huh?? How heavy? There are motor homes (his is a mfr same as Discovery) with air only but most have air and jacks. Yes, if you are on asphalt or sand or shell or gravel you need to watch what your jacks are doing. I'm not sure what you are selling here.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well....I hope you keep us posted on the outcome. I see you have the Liberty chassis which is a modified Freightliner. I'm guessing the rear is no different than a Freightliner XCR, Series B tag axle chassis, which is in thousands of coaches. Sure curious what they did to compromise it.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Starting to sound as if there might have been a flaw in the rail.

The coach should still be under warranty so I would be going after the dealer/manufacturer for a replacement unit.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #14

I'd definitely get more opinions and from VERY specialized people. The diagnosis well may be correct but I could also see something like this being called wrong. I'd be looking for things like frame analysis with really high-tech machines and measurements along with the analysis of experienced techs.

I make a good living coming behind contractors and other "experts" who have made a determination on big problems with houses and can tell you the "first responder" is wrong the majority of the time. Not that they are trying to be. It just happens.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, frame