Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #1

Best (and minimum!) length for full timing

Just like to get some input on what others have found to be a good length for full timing in a DP. I am partial to smaller (32') though am leaning to 36'. We will have at least one and preferably two slides. What are the things you get when adding that four feet, or four more feet? We will have a toad and definitely plan to visit national parks and dry camp throughout the west. I know this is very subjective, but would love some feedback. Thanks
bettertogeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #2

Ours is 36'-11" with two slides, and what we got in addition to the extra storage, is the bath and a half, L-shaped couch, which faces the TV and fireplace, and 4 door fridge. I don't really think it's the length you should consider as much as the floor plan you will be most comfortable with. Although we don't full time in ours we do take extended trips. It's nice to have the comfortable seating for just hanging out inside the MH, watching TV or getting out of the weather ect. The bath and a half is great and something we wouldn't do without as it is very nice to have while traveling and we don't like to use the CG facilities. We have not had any problems getting into State CG's and if you have the Toad, you will do most of your exploring with that.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

That's a hard question to answer! We're getting ready to try a one-year period of fulltiming. Since we will be going from a 2600 sq. ft. home to a 320 sq. ft. MH, we're really glad that we have the 40'! I know there are lots of folks fulltiming with much smaller rigs and are very satisfied.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It comes down to creature comforts, storage space, toys, and your significant other.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #5

It all depends on what your are comfortable with. We decided that 40' works best for us & 2 dogs.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #7

Up to 40' buy as long and as many slides as you can afford. You won't regret it. A raised frame chassis that allows pass through storage compartments is a plus.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #8

We have a 36 ft. fifth wheel. I got it because my wife can throw things accurately at less than that, but not very fast and 36 feet gives me time to duck.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best (and minimum!) length for full timing

AZ.... When we (two of us, with cat) were shopping over 3 years ago, we had no MH experience at all, only small popup camper experience, so a lot of the design issues that many find crucial never even hit our radar. But we knew certain things: that we would live in this 365. Not camping, but living. There would be no escape; that it had to be able to withstand the rigors of same without constantly breaking.

We knew from our history with popup, and an earlier boat, that space is important. Having to constantly move out of each other's way gets tiresome fast; having to do without certain things because there's simply no place to store them is equally tiresome. We believe that these are factors that often lead to the premature end of dreams.

In the end we bought a quality brand for reliability, and forty feet with three slides for the room (plenty of floor space for two big comfy recliners) and the amenities (a dedicated cabinet for clothes washer/dryer). We also shifted our target age back 3-4 years so we could afford it.

Consider these things as you plan. A coach will only seem "too big" for a short time, but "too small" will last forever.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 AM   #10

Two years ago when I first started looking for a motor home for full-timing (and I'm still looking), I asked that very question to an experienced RV salesman... he said 38 ft. min length for full-timing.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #11

It could be said that this is one of the never ending debates on the forum - or that the debate is actually over because the majority of responders state that bigger is better. At one extreme is a couple I know of that full timed for 14 years in a 24 ft. Safari Trek. They even shipped the thing to Europe for a while. I guess the other extreme would be found the minute regulations allow longer vehicles. I can forecast manufacturers introducing a 50 ft. DP with full wall slides on both sides and some people would line up to buy the things.

Your choice is somewhere between "camping", and having a collapsible house that can be moved. One of my favorite motorhome stories took place at the 1995 Safari factory sponsored "Homecoming" in the Florida Disney campground. Someone asked Safari founder, Matt Perlot, about slides. His response was that "No motorhome with the Safari name will ever ever leave my factory with a slide". Well... it seems that 'ol Matt mis-read the voice of the customer, and we all know slides are almost a must on today's RV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaficionado View Post
Just like to get some input on what others have found to be a good length for full timing in a DP. I am partial to smaller (32') though am leaning to 36'. We will have at least one and preferably two slides. What are the things you get when adding that four feet, or four more feet? We will have a toad and definitely plan to visit national parks and dry camp throughout the west. I know this is very subjective, but would love some feedback. Thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #12

First of all next I know for me and my DW A 34ft to 36ft with at least 2 slides is enough as we lived in a S & B that's paid for. and is only 28ft long and 22 wide so we are used to a small area. We love to get close Go figure We are still very much in love. Best advice go look at them with both of yall in it. Move around and see if yall got enough room. spend at least 30 min or more in it while looking and moving around in it.
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

We presently have a 35' 6" DP (in signature). We've been fulltiming officially for a little over a year. If I could change anything with our present rig, it would be to have a bath and a half. There's some tweaks I'd make to the present floor plan also. But, so far, we've been very happy with the size of our coach. When it comes right down to it, it's really what's important to you and your partner.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #14

Really liking the Winnebago Journey 36G...at least online. Hope to check one out in person, with my wife, very soon.
bettertogeth is offline   Reply With Quote