Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Best coach for winter in cold climates

We are going full time in August/September and plan to spend the winter in Colorado with family - about 9500 ft I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and via forums. So far the Entegra has the best insulation I have found. I am also considering Newmar. We are looking for 2008 to 2011 at this point.
Any feedback on either of these coaches or, any others I may have missed in terms of working well in a cold winter? We will be living in the coach through the winter.
Many thanks in advance.
Bstreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Foretravel units with the Aqua Hot are about as good as it gets for handling the below zero temps.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Fore travel if your budget will permit,.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Newmars with heated tile floors and Oasis heating system should do well. We've had our in some very cold weather.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Insulation in the upper part is only part of your concern. I had an 03 Phaeton that we would leave WI in mid January and travel south. Although the bottom of the coach was insulation board, I had 2" of urethane sprayed on the underside including the wet bay tub. I also added a 12 volt "Back Seat Heater" (like Holiday Rambler used for years) to the water compartment. The coldest we had was -17* with full fresh water and the temp monitor was never below 38* with the 12 volt heater set to come on at 42*. Nothing ever froze up, but without additional insulation under the wet bay, it surely would have. Every coach I have seen does not have insulation under the wet bay tub. Most are not built for cold weather.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra and Newmar independently rated above the rest in the mid-range coaches, in that order, but they both use similar building styles. Newmar uses electric floor heat while Entegra uses aqua hot tubing routed under the floor. Aqua hot works;hear good things about electric as well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Aqua hot, Hydro hot....etc works great and will certainly keep you warm inside......BUT you better have an endless supply of diesel fuel or be able to go get a tank full every month. I keep my floor heat on and an oil/elect heater in the living area and in cold weather the hydro hot sucks the fuel. So much so all I could think was wow as the $$$$ rapidly evaporated from the fuel tank.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #8

So far the coldest we've stayed in our Newmar Dutch Star as been around 0. Wet bay never got below 45.

The inside stayed at 72, I don't fear the cold. Nor do I have to prep the way we did in our Fleetwood Providence.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a fantastic forum. Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful and helpful responses. As much as I 'd like I do not think we can swing a Foretravel. I am glad to see the Newmar Dutchstar and Mountainaire do very well in the cold. We will be buying a used coach and there may not be a used Entegra available when we are ready to go.
I also like the idea of looking at and possibly adding to the insulation in the wet bay. We will have access to power so can run small heaters/light bulbs in the basement and possibly for the hydrohot system too.
Can hardly wait to hit the road.!
Bstreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
You might want to look at Triple E coaches made in Canada. Reason is that it's cold up there and they build coaches that can handle the cold.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #11

I live in Colorado and have stayed in temps as low as 10 degree, but don't like the fact that the heater runs constantly. You will use huge amounts of propane and would be wise to add an external tank to the MH. Some Jan & Feb days can get up to 45 degrees but we head south to miss most of the cold weather here.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The furnace LP or Aqua Hot ---Oasis will need to run during cold weather or your holding tanks and plumbing will freeze up under floor, electric heaters will only help in living area.
If its a LP furnace large propane bottles can be hook into the LP plumbing for long periods.
Tank drainage will be the problem and water hose, sewer hose you may not be able to leave hooked up.

Here are some links for winter camping and normal winterizing.

Here is a thread of someone's experience winter boon docking.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #13

Not to be redundant but the purpose of a motorhome is to move when the wedder gits cold.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Insulation is only one of the issues with cold weather living. If you are planning on showering, cooking, etc you have to be aware of the ventilation. Most coaches have poor to marginal ventilation so a lot of the moisture generated by living in it can migrate into the walls. Come spring there may well be a mess.

Tags
winter