Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post
I want to tow a 10k trailer with race car also. What chassis do you have? Most have suggested I get a Freightliner chassis but I've found a nice Dutch Star on a Spartan that looking promising.
first 130k miles spent towing this..no problems.. spartan mountain master chassis...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n_a.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	144960  
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club

THE SEARCH IS OVER!

I found a 330HP - 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire today.

It has only 50,000 milesand maintained meticulously. Raised frame Spartan chassis with brand new Michelin tires, all fluids and filters just changed, new radiator, hoses, and belts, in motion satellite, 2 slides, and super clean inside outside and underneath...and it has full body paint, so no decals to deteriorate.

The fella I bought it from is the 2nd or 3rd owner, he said he knows the previous owners and has all the maintenance records from day one. I did have to pay up some to get the deal done, but after seeing how clean it was, and how it had been maintained, I was happy to do so.

I know several of you said to just keep looking, and you were right.

I was getting a little disgusted with the search, not with the fact that I was not finding the right RV because I had plenty of time. I was disgusted buy some of the sellers. A few of them either had a room temperature IQ, or they were out right lying about the condition just to get me there, they could care less how far you had to come.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers,
Jim
Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Congrats on your new rig. Got that giddy feeling do ya...we have all been there!!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post

THE SEARCH IS OVER!

Great choice and you lucked out finding it in excellent conditions. Happy traveling!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 AM   #47

Quote:

THE SEARCH IS OVER!

It has only 50,000 milesand maintained meticulously. Raised frame Spartan chassis with brand new Michelin tires, all fluids and filters just changed, new radiator, hoses, and belts, in motion satellite, 2 slides, and super clean inside outside and underneath...and it has full body paint, so no decals to deteriorate.

The fella I bought it from is the 2nd or 3rd owner, he said he knows the previous owners and has all the maintenance records from day one. I did have to pay up some to get the deal done, but after seeing how clean it was, and how it had been maintained, I was happy to do so.

I was getting a little disgusted with the search, not with the fact that I was not finding the right RV because I had plenty of time. I was disgusted buy some of the sellers. A few of them either had a room temperature IQ, or they were out right lying about the condition just to get me there, they could care less how far you had to come.

Jim
don't know what you paid...and don't need to know...but gonna say this...you are about 10k ahead of game with all the stuff that was done..that and you found one that makes you happy

enjoy....how bout some pics?

also wanted to add....pulling a 7000 lb trailer doesn't seem like that much and should do it with ease...I pulled a 12,000 lb all over the west coast with a 5.9 in a 97 discovery on a freight shaker...slowed down on the hills... but did just fine..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #48

Quote:

THE SEARCH IS OVER!

Jim
Jim, it ain't REAL until you post the pics!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
OK,
I understand it's not true till the pictures.
I have to admit that I bought this without the wife, and I am happy to say that when we picked it up, she was thrilled with it.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEWMAR PICTURE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	145420  
Old 11-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #50

Very nice!! Care to show some inside pics?
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice. I've been following this thread as I'm ready to upgrade and all your parameters seem similar to mine

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #52

also a new buyer

a great thread and thank you for your input

you have defined my criteria - a quality coach - spartan chassis if possible
side radiators - get it fully checked out and pick my future home

I am leaning towards a Newmar mountain air 40

I can do most interior repairs and minor engine vehicle maintenance

a ? do you take your RV to an independent (not the selling ) garage to be checked out mechanically ?

and if so are their recommended RV dealers/shops on this forum?
thanks again
Norcolmille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcolmille View Post
a great thread and thank you for your input

you have defined my criteria - a quality coach - spartan chassis if possible
side radiators - get it fully checked out and pick my future home

I am leaning towards a Newmar mountain air 40

I can do most interior repairs and minor engine vehicle maintenance

a ? do you take your RV to an independent (not the selling ) garage to be checked out mechanically ?

and if so are their recommended RV dealers/shops on this forum?
thanks again
Not sure if you have a Freightliner, or a Spartan chassis. I would tell the seller you wish to have an "enhanced" DOT inspection done by the chassis manufacturer, and schedule an appointment with the chassis repair station. There should be one located with an hour of so of pretty much anywhere. You can do the extended test drive on the way there and back. Our inspection at a Freightliner repair shop took about 2 hours. Their bays were full, but the weather was nice, so they did it in the parking lot which worked out well for me as I rolled around under the coach with the mechanic as he inspected. I asked lots of questions, he gave me a "tour" of the underside and the drive train. Money well spent. He didn't find much wrong, recommended belts be changed, and the air dryer be replaced, and pointed out one oil seep, but that was all that was wrong. He was thorough, he measured brake lining remaining, etc. Cost was $147.00 in April of last year. Money well spent!

If the seller, either a dealer, or private party balks at getting the coach inspected by an independent/unbiased repair shop, walk, or better yet, RUN AWAY!

You may or may not want to have an inspection of the Coach itself as well. Not sure what your comfort level is with doing the inspection yourself. A professional will charge from $200 to $350 to do the Coach inspection (as opposed to the chassis inspection). We did our own, and covered the coach pretty thoroughly.

Maintenance records are a MUST in my opinion. Actual RECEIPTS are king! If seller tells you of maintenance accomplished, but can't back it up with receipts, figure the maintenance was not accomplished.

Also, CHECK YOUR TIRE DATE CODES! Anything over 2 years old, figure in a deduction on tires. Anything over 7 years, the tires require replacing! Tread remaining means NOTHING on a Coach. Age is everything.

Good luck in your search!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #54

thank you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Not sure if you have a Freightliner, or a Spartan chassis. I would tell the seller you wish to have an "enhanced" DOT inspection done by the chassis manufacturer, and schedule an appointment with the chassis repair station. There should be one located with an hour of so of pretty much anywhere. You can do the extended test drive on the way there and back. Our inspection at a Freightliner repair shop took about 2 hours. Their bays were full, but the weather was nice, so they did it in the parking lot which worked out well for me as I rolled around under the coach with the mechanic as he inspected. I asked lots of questions, he gave me a "tour" of the underside and the drive train. Money well spent. He didn't find much wrong, recommended belts be changed, and the air dryer be replaced, and pointed out one oil seep, but that was all that was wrong. He was thorough, he measured brake lining remaining, etc. Cost was $147.00 in April of last year. Money well spent!

If the seller, either a dealer, or private party balks at getting the coach inspected by an independent/unbiased repair shop, walk, or better yet, RUN AWAY!

You may or may not want to have an inspection of the Coach itself as well. Not sure what your comfort level is with doing the inspection yourself. A professional will charge from $200 to $350 to do the Coach inspection (as opposed to the chassis inspection). We did our own, and covered the coach pretty thoroughly.

Maintenance records are a MUST in my opinion. Actual RECEIPTS are king! If seller tells you of maintenance accomplished, but can't back it up with receipts, figure the maintenance was not accomplished.

Also, CHECK YOUR TIRE DATE CODES! Anything over 2 years old, figure in a deduction on tires. Anything over 7 years, the tires require replacing! Tread remaining means NOTHING on a Coach. Age is everything.

Good luck in your search!
thank you- the forum members are awesome. Candid and helpful. Thanks again
Norcolmille is offline   Reply With Quote