Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
careful Doug, I'm just looking has gotten many a RV'er into a new coach.
Oh, believe me, I'm not "asking for a friend". I really was asking for a guy who was asking me.

A new coach of ANY type is way out of budget for me, especially the ones mentioned above. I'm fortunate to have the old rig that I have now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #16

My Tiffin Bus on their Powerglide chassis does not have a steering assist of any kind. However, I find it very easy and relaxing to drive. It's our second Powerglide and it is noticeably better than the previous Freightliners we have had. Many times at the end of a 450-500 mile day, I'm reluctant to stop for the night, but the DW says it's time. Guess she gets tired of reading and napping. I've driven my sons Newell which is very quiet and smooth, but the steering assist is so good that it lacked that "feel for the road" that I like. I'm sure I would get used to it in time. About the only time I might want a steering assist is in gusty side winds above 30 mph. That's when I look for a place to park for the night.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I bought a nice lightly used low mileage Ventana for $150k. It suits me well and has comfort drive which is an obvious advantage. It still didn’t do well in curves, high winds, evasive maneuvers etc, so I added Active Air (another $10k) and it handles like a dream. I’m not in the big coach camp; 35’ is a little too big for some of the places I go, but I like “big coach” features. And Active Air is what makes the biggest difference in handling.

So if I were making the decision, and handling was a major criteria, I wouldn’t bother with Newell or Prevost or any other brand based on “how they handle”, no matter how much money I had; I’d buy the Newmar of choice (so I could choose the length I wanted - probably 40’ max) to get comfort drive, order it with all the options I wanted, and then add active air. The difference is really significant.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
That has to be the quote of the day!
Our first was a gasser, end of a 8 hour drive day I felt abused. Used to tell wife I felt like I was wrestling a hippo all day.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #19

If it were me, Id go with Newell.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
That has to be the quote of the day!
Our first was a gasser, end of a 8 hour drive day I felt abused. Used to tell wife I felt like I was wrestling a hippo all day.
Great quote!

I knew how this felt the first year I owned my Journey since I tend to stay in the western desert corridor. When I travel north/south or south/north I was familiar with the winds buffeting the RV for hours at a time. And I'd often arrive exhausted from 'wrestling a hippo'. But then I installed these:

...and just like that, driving in the wind got easy. I hardly even notice wind or passing vehicles any more. Just yesterday there was a temp roadside sign warning of high winds on my route, and when I arrived at this RV park in Quartzsite (came up from Yuma) the manager mentioned how bad the drive must have been in the wind. Which gave me the chance to point out that I hardly noticed and what I use...V-Spoilers. That's not the only brand, there's another that I forget the name of, but boy do they work. Big ol' semi's pass me on two lane roads heading the other direction at 65 MPH and I barely notice any buffeting at all. Strong winds don't seem to rock the RV much either, even when gusting.

I don't sell them and don't get a kickback from the company. And to me, they seem like the low cost (even though they were $267 when I got them) method of improving handling in the wind or from traffic. After 4 years of owning them, I wouldn't be without them. Such a simple gadget, but they work!

If you want to read my review of them with additional pictures, here's the link to my AD FREE blog article. Installing V-Spoilers...

Enjoy the journey!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #21

Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Comfort Drive on Newmar or Newell is a nice plus, but nothing will ride better than a coach that is 45' long, has a tag and weighs in at 60K. Like stated earlier, the weight helps a lot. A Newell with Comfort Drive would be my choice if I had a spare $2 million.
Having driven everything from a 1970s vintage class A to a 50,000 lb tag Navigator there is nothing that beats the heavy coach. The stability with the outboard air bags is very reassuring when rolling down the highway, its more of a challenge when negotiating the tighter confines of a campground or city but that comes with experience.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #22

While I do not have the most extensive experience, certainly none with Prevost and Newell, I think I would agree with most of the above comments including these generalizations:

1-bigger and heavier rigs generally drive & ride better.

2- DP TAGS, along with the increased weight they carry, generally drive & ride better. Think about the physical properties of a 39 or 40 ft gasser, with a single rear axle and a long 10 foot rear overhang to give the wind leverage. Hmm?

3- New, quality, bigger tires drive & ride better than worn, lower quality smaller tires.

4-Independant front suspension, along with air/active air Generally ride and drive better.

5- Steering tech like “Comfort Drive” absolutely assist in a positive driving experience.

While it’s great that money is no object, there remains the value question of “is it worth it?” The best way I know to address this, is to do an honest assessment of how the coach will be used. If your friend will be camped/parked 95% of the time and only on the road 5% of the time, then I would say living features and floorplan take a higher priority & value than the driving experience. On the other hand, if you’re on the road much or the majority of the time, I think that more readily justifies late model Newmar DP or consideration of a Newell or Prevost. Also, as others have noted, they should just get behind the wheel of some of the coaches under consideration, and experience for themselves what bigger tires, IFS, Comfort Drive, or an extra million dollars or two feels like behind the wheel.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motor, motorhome