Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #15

Depreciation on RVs really isn't as bad as many make it out to be as long as you buy right. Far too many folks overpay and then can't understand why the RV is worth 1/2 of what they paid after a couple years.

It seems tow-able RVs can be had for around 70% of MSRP while class A and C I've seen as low as 60% of MSRP.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Depreciation on RVs really isn't as bad as many make it out to be as long as you buy right. Far too many folks overpay and then can't understand why the RV is worth 1/2 of what they paid after a couple years.

It seems tow-able RVs can be had for around 70% of MSRP while class A and C I've seen as low as 60% of MSRP.
The OP was discussing entry level class A's. I haven't heard of entry level A's for 40% off MSRP. I read a lot and not saying it can't be done given the right circumstance but it is definitely out of the norm.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
My new 2015 Precept 35UN listed at 135,000, I paid 79,000, that is almost 42% off list price. I purchased in September 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36UN.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	134378  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

Curious what you thought wasn't built well about the Winnie? We have a Vista 31be bunk model and we are happy with it, and feel it's well built for an entry model. Also make sure you test drive it you can tell a lot about a motorhome when you're driving it down the road.

At the price point you're at (if new) it will be entry level so make sure you compare apples apples to apples.

I did notice that the new 2017 vista models they upgraded the front shades and a few other features (maybe added an inverter but not sure). Plus it has a lot of sleep space for kids with the bunks and the overhead driver bunk. You'd have no issue getting it for under 90k and would actually be closer to 80k than 90k.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #19

Wife and I went with the 16 Coachmen Pursuit 30 with their Azdel composite construction and an outdoor kitchen. Is entry level, but sleeps well, and the bunkhouse models will sleep lots of kids. Had the normal quality issues starting out, but nothing that hasnt been handled by factory and made right.
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Were it me, I'd be at a Newmar dealer first.

Then I'd buy a 3 to 4 year old version of the model I liked

X 2!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did Thor once, won't do that again. Now have an Itasca 35F with the primary feature being the extra 1/2 bath. If I were to do it again and stay within my budget range, I'd start with, Newmar, Tiffin, or another Itasca/Winnebago in that order. Advice from above on going used gets you the best values.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Were it me, I'd be at a Newmar dealer first.
Then I'd buy a 3 to 4 year old version of the model I liked

This guidance is excellent for nearly all the reasons mentioned in several of the other posts.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #23

I'd advise against an entry level anything - - I did that and got an entry level Thor ACE. kept it about 1 1/2 years. The dealer where I got my current, new Tiffin said most ACE owners keep them about a year and a half...go figure.

Get better, even if used. Depreciation isn't an issue, to me, if you keep it and USE it. It's only an issue if you try to bail.

Ultimately, get what you want. They often say to buy your last coach first, or at least your third coach first. Probably not a bad sentiment. Will save a lot of frustration and money in the long run.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
WDW

Take a strong look at Coachmen's. 35BH. You can get a tremendous, well built coach with some nifty features. We bought one and have had great success. Recently we got the chance yo get a private factory tour. We had a chance to see two 35 BH in production. To see them in different stages and have even more confidence than before.

We compared Winnebago, Jayco Precept, Georgetown and Thor's ACE. We previously owed wonderful Jayco Greyhawk. When you look at the storage, finish, features you might find that our suggestion works for you.

Can you buy better - sure, but you can pay more. The Ford F-53 is a solid platform.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
Did Thor once, won't do that again. Now have an Itasca 35F with the primary feature being the extra 1/2 bath. If I were to do it again and stay within my budget range, I'd start with, Newmar, Tiffin, or another Itasca/Winnebago in that order. Advice from above on going used gets you the best values.
This is at least the third post in this thread that is basically saying the same thing. Worth noting for anyone shopping for a first RV.

Both Canyon Star and Bay Star are very nice gas units from Newmar. Go check them out, shop for a used one that fits your budget.

Some things we really liked about our Winnebago/Itasca when we bought it, and still holds true today:

Built on a chassis with much higher capacity than the unit requires - this gives us a ton of room for cargo and towing.
Tanks are as big as luxury diesels. If you get smaller tanks you'll find you're out or full all the time - 85 water, 50/45 gray and black holding. Many of the units today are cutting down on tankage capacity which is not a benefit.
Good insulation and double-pane windows - easy to heat and cool and very quiet inside
Slides are all on the drivers side, opposite of your 'camp' side. Many of the newest coaches have slides on both sides now. No Schwintek slides mechanisms - never an issue.
All top-tier appliances and components - same as diesel units from the same vintage - they work well and hold up well. All our stuff still works after 12 years. Did just replace the roof air unit - $750 for a DIY job. Ouch!
Higher quality upholstery and floor coverings - we took the carpet out for vinyl, seating surfaces still look like new 12 years later.
Fiberglass roof - still just like new, never leaks
Flush cargo doors like the high-end units - look nicer, work better, and provide better access. Cheaper models have cut-outs in the sides with framed doors - also common on c-class units.
Parts are still readily available for all winnebago models - the company has a long and solid run - not being sold out or closed down.

I could go on but you get the idea. If you buy quality they hold up better and hold their value better.

I just put new tires all around, did all the engine and chassis maintenance. On the 'sun side' when it's stored I removed all the vinyl graphics and painted them on, buffed it out, and it looks like new again. Had new name decals made.

This is a $40K to $50K unit, was over $100K new list. We got a good discount but it was still a lot of money and a lot of depreciation. However it was over a good long time.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a