Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #1

Best Gas Class Under 35’

Hello all,

We are in the research phase of purchasing a Class A. We are new to the lifestyle and there are so many nuances. We do plan to attend some shows in the next few months.

We are looking for some feedback. We are interested in a unit under 35’, with a washer/dryer, outside kitchen and quality manufacturing. We have so far narrowed it down to the following even though they are in different tiers:

Tiffin Alegro Open Road
Entegra Vision 29s
Coachman Mirada 32ls

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Jtambasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

I would try to personally see each unit in person. Then you can make the decision which one is best for you. There's a few different tiers there but you can easily decide based upon the little details which one works best for you. Sometimes little details will sway you such as storage compartment size and shapes. I am sure each one of those are good units. Personally seeing each and weighing out any pros and cons will be the best way to decide.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #3

Thanks for feedback Ohiomike.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #4

You are going to get a lot of opinions that probably won't help you much.
Define best first and include it when you ask the question.
When I chose my '16 Bounder I made a list. The list contained must haves, nice to haves and other determining features.
A large shower was first on my list. Value for my money was high on my list. The Bounder came with so many things a Tiffin or Newmar didn't and ultimately that was the swaying factor for me.
Would I say the Bounder was "best" quality? Probably not. It was "best" for me at the time. Almost 7 years later is has held up quite fine living in it full time too.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Plenty of good options in that average size. First is gas or diesel. Diesel you might have to go to 36 or so.

Several good options in the 35 ft range. None will give you the space of a 45 footer but the 35’s give you more state park access.

Find the floor plan that works for you in the size / price range you want.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #6

My 2004 Southwind 32V was the best ever
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:07 AM   #7

I've recently gone through the same research and ended up buying what seemed best for but ended up with a floorplan that has a hidden flaw: I cannot use the bedroom whithout fully extending the slide-out!
So my advise is to watch all the reviews available on youtube related to the models on your short list. Matt's Review tries to show the RV with the slides IN at first and comments on the layout as is.
That is very important if you plan to use your RV facilities at lunch time while traveling.

Or else, check for basement cargo capacities, wheelbase to RV lenght ratio, awning lenght, wheel size (22.5 ideal), then check for amunities.
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #8

You really have to look in person and have an open mind. Our last coach was a Mirada and it was fairly problem free. We used it several months a year and it was fine for that. We currently full time in a Canyon Star 3710 it is an order of magnatude nicer. Better insulated for cold weather, better constructed, and all wood, rather than wrapped cabinetry. Mechanical systems are much easier to access. While its built on the same ford chassis, there are a lot of differences.
But of course, you pay a lot more money for those differences.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:09 AM   #9

I have to wonder why you chose those brands, and not others like Winnebago and Newmar for example.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #10

Those brands have the floorplans and amenities that we are looking for. We are open to any brand so we started narrowing it down by what we wanted in a floorplan.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #11

My personal opinion is that of the 3 you have listed, go for the Tiffin Open Road. I assume you are looking at the 32SA floor plan, which is, actually 35’. We had a 2019, 32SA that had a great, open layout. It was airy, spacious, plenty of room in the bedroom area. The separate shower and toilet area was a plus, although I did not care for how the toilet was angled into corner and was on a raised platform. If you’re a bigger person, it’s an interesting fit. Storage, both inside and out is great. My only complaint about the rig is the chassis. And you are going to find this on any gasser with the F53 chassis - it’s a rough ride, noisy from the engine area.. I’m a Tiffin fan, especially one from the pre Thor and pandemic era. As others have said, layout, layout, layout - spend time in the unit with all involved to see what space you really have. After that, it all depends on what you want or need to do to improve the ride / chassis.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #12

Check out Fleetwood Flair 29M. It looks like the Entegra has the same floorplan but the Flair has a king bed. We have been happy with ours...it has had small issues, but they all do. There is a Holiday Rambler with the same layout, they are basically twins.

I have been happy dealing with REV (the maker of Fleetwood and Holiday Rambler).

I think Entegra is a more expensive coach than the Flair so you be the judge. We were looking for floorplan and price as the main drivers, but the hitch became important to me too. I like that the Fleetwood has an 8000 lb hitch (though it cannot pull 8k, that is another discussion in another thread) and that the numbers allow for good carrying capacity, so I didn't need to buy a new toad. It is one of the very few with that hitch, the others are limited to 5k.

It seems like you have a wide span of "tiers" in your three options, from premium, to basic.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'll be the first to warn you. In general "quality manufacturing" and the RV industry are mutually exclusive.
If you purchase a new coach be prepared to take it back to the dealer (or even the factory) for dozens of repairs. Some will take multiple visits and parts will be back ordered.
I would also advise you to look at used coaches as then you can see how good or bad they have held up over the years.
Look at as many coaches as you can. Even ones not on your list. You will learn from each one. Take pictures and make notes that you can review later.
I agree on making a list of likes as well as dislikes.
Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I guess I'll be the first to warn you. In general "quality manufacturing" and the RV industry are mutually exclusive.
If you purchase a new coach be prepared to take it back to the dealer (or even the factory) for dozens of repairs. Some will take multiple visits and parts will be back ordered.
I would also advise you to look at used coaches as then you can see how good or bad they have held up over the years.
Look at as many coaches as you can. Even ones not on your list. You will learn from each one. Take pictures and make notes that you can review later.
I agree on making a list of likes as well as dislikes.
Good luck!
They have their issues, no doubt. Mine has had issues with the Ford chassis as well as minor issues with the coach made by Fleetwood. It is annoying, so you should know this going into it and plan for it. I'm not in the "dozens" category, but it's been to Ford about 3 times and to General RV about 3 times in the past 15 months and 10,000 miles since we got it. None of the RV issues have been "major" on mine, thankfully. Major to me means water leaks, appliances not working, slides, awnings, electrical. That stuff has been rock solid.

Ford issues:
Parking brake
Parking brake round 2 because when they fixed the first one, it created a leaky pinion seal
Front tires (Goodyear replaced them, out of round)
Leaking oil drain plug

RV issues:
LED running lights filled with water and burned out
Windshield corner trim blew off (I drive too fast?)
Entry step pad broke
Headboard trim fell off
Interior slide trim buckled
Exterior slam latches stopped locking
Generator turned off in hot weather (still working on this one)
Cab AC lines misrouted
Door strut failed
Driver seat rotation cable misrouted

Other work:
Alignment at a truck shop
Koni shocks (done by me)
Track Bar (done by me)
Dynamat (done by me)

Bottom line is that it's been a bit of a project...it's not like buying a new car. And now it's out of warranty, so my trips to the dealer should decrease and my DIY should increase.

Tags
gas