Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Just bought the rand McNally 7720. I tried it yesterday. I wifi it to my iPhone. Not only do you get a great GPS it down loads quickly weather, and radar for the weather on your screen. You calm also get temperatures, dew points, winds

I am wait for my traffic receiver to be able see traffic on the main roads.
I am heading out on a 8 month trip out west in late March and all this information will be very helpful.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #30

How well does the height and weight feature feature work on the 7720?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
The height limit works very well. It give a warming if you change your route. In its initial routing, it checks for bridge heights and bridge limits, and avoids them. Sometime the route it gives looks a little longer. It's going around something.
The Lp tank is also a good one. There are many bridges and tunnels you can't not go on with LP tank. It will reroute you. I don't travel far without it
Merry Christmas.
Rick.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #32

Sounds good to have that capability.

Does anyone know of a GPS APP that provides Height, weight and propane restrictions?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the Nexus 7. You get a full tablet which is fast and light weight. Put Copilot on it and you'll have the GPS function you need with a nice viewable screen.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #34

does the co-pilot app provide height,weight & propane restrictions?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the non truck version it provides height. Truck version is height and length but I am unsure on the rest.

Edit;
I went to their site, http://www.copilotlive.com/us/

Weight/ weight axle it's there but didn't see propane.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I never thought propane was a problem. I don't know about out west but in the northeast it was great to have that help. You don't know you can't go until the last exit before the tunnels. Then you have fun going around city streets.
The weather function is great to.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #37

How does a GPS get their signals while traveling? Also doesn't the "Copilotlive" require an live internet signal to update the android phone? I have a "4G" phone, but there are still areas where I cannot get a signal. A good example is my ATT phone would not work at all around the Toledo Bend area.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How does a GPS get their signals while traveling? Also doesn't the "Copilotlive" require an live internet signal to update the android phone? I have a "4G" phone, but there are still areas where I cannot get a signal. A good example is my ATT phone would not work at all around the Toledo Bend area.
GPS signal is independent from the cell system and the internet. Geostationary Satellites transmit signals and as long as you have a clear view of the sky within Satellite coverage areas you can receive these signals. I doubt people will be driving an RV where there is no GPS coverage.

You can download all the maps and data for co-pilot, Navigon, TomTom and others. You can cache a limited number of maps and data for google maps but I belive the limit is 10 maps. Of course sufficient storage capacity has to be available on the device to download the desired maps.

NO CELL/INTERNET.CONNECTION IS REQUIRED TO NAVIGATE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE MAPS DOWNLOADED.

However real.time trafflic and.weather features require a connection to the internet.

My question was and is: For those who use a co-pilot app do you get height, weight and propane restriction info?

And is there any known GPS app that has this festure?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

GPS signal is independent from the cell system and the internet. Geostationary Satellites transmit signals and as long as you have a clear view of the sky within Satellite coverage areas you can receive these signals. I doubt people will be driving an RV where there is no GPS coverage.

You can download all the maps and data for co-pilot, Navigon, TomTom and others. You can cache a limited number of maps and data for google maps but I belive the limit is 10 maps. Of course sufficient storage capacity has to be available on the device to download the desired maps.

NO CELL/INTERNET.CONNECTION IS REQUIRED TO NAVIGATE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE MAPS DOWNLOADED.

However real.time trafflic and.weather features require a connection to the internet.

My question was and is: For those who use a co-pilot app do you get height, weight and propane restriction info?

And is there any known GPS app that has this festure?

Thanks
The GPS satellite constellation is comprised of over 20 satellites that are not geostationary. On some GPS units you can observe the current locations of the satellites.

Geostationary would not work for several reasons. With the orbiting constellation there is no loss of capability to far North or South and no need to aim antenna.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #40

I use a Samsung Player with Co-Pilot live. I like the fact that it has a larger screen, but not so large that it could not be carried in your pocket. Also it has all my music, which I play through the stereo. It is a pocket PC so use it to connect to wifi and get and send email when on the road. The real time traffic does not require an internet connection.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post

The GPS satellite constellation is comprised of over 20 satellites that are not geostationary. On some GPS units you can observe the current locations of the satellites.

Geostationary would not work for several reasons. With the orbiting constellation there is no loss of capability to far North or South and no need to aim antenna.
You are correct - sorry I had communication satellites on the brain when I referred to GPS units. Actually there are 24 operational in the US constellation.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #42

Rm 7715 gps

I got a Rand McNally RM 7715 w/ lifetime maps off E-bay a few weeks ago and am very satisfied with it, As far as I can tell it is the same as the 7720 but made to be sold by Wal-mart ( has a listing of Wal-mart stores with overnight info). I bought a 7710 a few months ago but returned it as the screen was terrible in sunlight. The 7715 screen is much better and the added features ( weather,etc ) are a great bonus. Plus the price on E-bay( $ 200-225 w/ free shipping) is also great. No height problems but as others have mentioned be aware!! Hope this helps.
bigdgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps