Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #1

Best inexpensive RV backup camera?

Hello! We are looking to install a backup camera in our 'new' 1993 Fleetwood Coronado 27R, it appears former owner had one in there, but took it out when he sold it. So i assume the wiring is in there, all we need is the camera and the receiver, correct?
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good one that won't break the bank?

Thank you much!
Rebeca
Rebeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #2

Rebeca-

I can't speak to the price of equipment, but if you're looking to figure out what might be plug-in compatible with your wiring you could call Tim at RV Cams. Posts about Tim here on iRV2 are generally positive. I haven't done business with him (yet).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cameras and monitors are available on Amazon at under $50 for each.

Here's a Camera that should work - http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCMRV9W-...2%3A1248879011
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #4

The RV Safety systems work very well and are equally well priced.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

A 7 inch lcd monitor can be purchased from ebay for $29. I have three of them in use, and all work fine.

Quality in the camera makes a difference. Try to buy a CCD type instead of CMOS. Having said that, many are happy with the inexpensive camera's also.

A good waterproof CCD camera can be about $100.

You should be able to reuse the existing cable, but you may have to engineer some connections.

Fred
Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #6

Dumb question, how do I find Tim? ��
Rebeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #7

Rebeca-

If you're asking about Tim from RV Cams, there was a link to their home page:

RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)

in my post #2. The RV Cams phone number listed there is (877) 378-2267.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I would recommend checking out the systems available from Rear View Safety. The link is Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com. I installed one of their systems and am extremely happy with it. You would have to ask them about wiring compatibility or consider one of their wireless systems. I chose their wired system for $399 with a rear camera plus left and right side cameras. They have simpler systems as well at a lower cost. The camera quality is excellent and all three cameras have IR night vision, which works very well. Good Luck!
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #9

amazon

I just put a 60.00, wired, 7 inch monitor on my 30 footer. Works excellent. I would steer away from wireless as a lot of reviews are iffy.. Amazon sells it from Belle. You can see the same systems all over Ebay but most ship from China. Comes with 33 feet of wire.
dewflicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewflicker View Post
I just put a 60.00, wired, 7 inch monitor on my 30 footer. Works excellent. I would steer away from wireless as a lot of reviews are iffy.. Amazon sells it from Belle. You can see the same systems all over Ebay but most ship from China. Comes with 33 feet of wire.
I've had wireless B/U cameras on my 30 ft MH and my present 36 ft MH. They both worked very well. I bought each element separately from Amazon. The camera is license frame type hooked to a wireless Bluetooth transmitter and receiver that come as a pair from Amazon. The camera & transmitter is controlled by the b/u light circuit in the tail of the coach.
I hooked up the 7" color monitor (dash mounted) and Bluetooth receiver to a toggle switch on the dash. It was almost impossible to find the wire running to the b/u lights under the dash.
It saves a lot of installation time if you don't have to run 40 ft of video cable through or under your coach if you go wireless. BTW, the picture is crystal clear.

Total cost of materials was less than $100.

a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You haven't yet said for certain that the cable is in your MH for sure. You also need to make sure everything is compatible. I purchased an entire system from Costco.

1 Backup Camera System with 7" LCD Screen by Rear View Safety

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera