Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #1

Best Insurance / Cheap Insurance

hopefully gettin the rexall home tues, gonna need insurance soon, last time i had ins on an rv it wss threw proggressive and part of thrthe roadside coverage included replacing drivetrain if motor/trans blew. is there any other ins companys that do this? im lookin for a balance between good coverage and price. if we goin to travel the country we def want motor/trans coverage (67k on the 460/e4od)
vogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Progressive Roadside would cover a drive train failure? Interesting because I had Progressive roadside and when I blew a tire and needed a big-rig truck service to bring and install a new tire, the gal from Progressive that answered my call did not even know what a motorhome was! After I finally got her to understand what kind of rig I was needing assistance on and the type of service I needed, she came back with several RV sales dealerships in area! When I explained that RV dealerships don't come out on the road and change out tires she said she couldn't help. I think Progressive roadside is best suited to having a locksmith come out if you lock your keys in the car or some extremely simple task like that.

That said, there are insurance discussions here all the time and the one thing most would probably agree on is that sooner or later, whomever you pick will start raising your rates and then you'll be looking for someone else. For me, a switch to Farmers was the right move. Cut 40% off what Progressive was trying to charge me on my last renewal statement.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #3

Cheap Vs Best.... very likely will not compute..
Old 08-05-2018, 02:29 AM   #4

i never ponied up the dough to get full coverage/roadside but im bout positive they had coverage like that. im a lil worried bout tackling all the mountains between mn n the coast pullin 3 tons of trailer. at 66k this is the least miles on a rv ever had (my bounder had 120,000^ still ran fine but who knows if it was original. p.o racked up 60k pulling his race car around the country) but im reading that at 60-70k they probly gettin tired. dont want to blow motor/trans and not have spent the extra 50 a month for the better coverage.

im not lookin specify for the cheapest. tryin to meet it in the middle adequate coverage, decent payment. if somethings gonna happen im guessin its gonna happen b4 i hit the coast, fuel pumps out from sitting rv hasnt been registered in 3 years moved all of 2 times last year.
vogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I don’t know about insurance coverage that takes care of drive train repairs, However, roadside assistance is available for not too much money. I tried AAA, who tried every way possible NOT to provide assistance for a flat tire, then sent out a little tow truck that had no tools to remove an RV tire! I switched to Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Having a major engine failure, they immediately asked if we were in a safe location, then sent out a tow truck, and called back to make sure the truck had arrived, and all was well. The tow truck driver was skilled at this sort of thing, disconnected the drive shaft, lifted the front, and hauled us off to the nearest dealership, about 30 miles away, that could repair our engine. I am very satisfied with their service.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I have a good extended warrant insrance that covers engine components, transmission, etc. along with coach components. What is need is liability and compresive coverage. I am searching for the best companies for this kind of coverage. Any suggestions?
kennyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

If you haven't done it yet, I would have a professional inspection done and repair or correct what they find wrong. Then I would change all the fluids including engine, transmission, radiator and rear axle. Depending on age, possibly flushing and replacing the brake fluid. How old are the tires? If setting for 3 years, I would replace them with new. To me, doing all of the above preventative maintenance is far more beneficial for a successful trip than any extended service contract. I have never purchased one and am not a fan of them. I am several thousands ahead in saved premiums over the last 20+ years.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Roadside service plans don't include repair parts, but sometimes can be bundled with other insurances, e.g. drivetrain repair, appliance & systems repair, body damage, etc. You need to list the coverages you want and then shop around fr companies that offer those and get quotes from them. Or ask an RV insurance broker to find them for you. You will of course need whatever liability coverage your state requires, plus any optional coverages (collision, fire & theft, roadside, repair, tire, etc),

Prices are going to vary with your location, RV value, coverages desired, deductibles, and personal factors, but "cheap" is most likely not in the cards. Drivetrain coverage alone on an older motorhome is going to be over $1000.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #9

I don't really understand the concern with the 66k miles. That's really not many miles on a vehicle these days. Of course you can have problems with a brand new one.
jtdiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance