Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Best Lubricant to keep door quiet?

What are you using to lubricate your door seals? Ours can squeak without mercy while running down the road at speed. I have used our slide lube product which silences it for about 3 days, then it is back.
Or, if yours is silent without lube perhaps it's a build quality or adjustment issue?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Good evening Dark Sky; I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor 34PBS coach. Door and coach is very quiet going down the road. I get a rattle of the screen door bottom guard which I have had a hard time getting to be quiet. Also I am sure my door is still not adjusted properly. If there is a lot of movement in the door, I could see that you would get the noise. Have you been able to locate an adjustment procedure for your door? Maybe the door strikers need adjustment! For years a lot of people used silicone spray to keep squeaks down to a minimum. I know that it can drive you nuts. Hopefully some owner with your coach can give you more info to eliminate that squeak. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Your squeak may not be the seals, but the latch. On my prior coach, I could completely eliminate the squeak by putting a piece of a plastic grocery bag around the latch pin. Try that trick next time without lubing the seals to help isolate what the source is. The trick then is to find a long lasting grease for that pin.

Dick L. ‘04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
The trick then is to find a long lasting grease for that pin.
I wrap that pin with 2-3 layers of electrical tape. I replace tape about every 3 months. Grease on that pin ended up on my clothes. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Dark Sky".....You could have any one of the above issue causing your squeak. I always look for any shiny spots on the screen door, near the corners where it might be rubbing.

As to lube, once or twice a year, I would spray the entire door frame and seals liberally with Pledge. I would then wipe down the entire door and frame. This did two things, it lubed the seals and cleaned the door and frame. Give it a try.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:24 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I purposefully use Boeshield's T9 water-proof dry lubricating spray on my steps, entrance door and basement hinges. Easy to use, no mess, does not attract or collect contaminants like ever-wet lubricants can and last a long time between applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...pray+lubricant
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 Boeshield's T9
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I wrap that pin with 2-3 layers of electrical tape. I replace tape about every 3 months. Grease on that pin ended up on my clothes. All the best.
Squeak drove us nuts until we put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the metal pin...totally silent now. I replaced the tape after about a year when it started tearing off the pin.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #9

Yep T9 spray lube for hinges and any moving parts.

Yep, probably is either your screen door latch, main door latch or both. Latches probably need adjusting to tighten them up against the jam better. We went through this same thing when we bought our MH. After several adjustments, and narrowing down exactly what was squeaking and rattiling we finally got it.

You might find that going to Home Depot and buying a roll of thin, foam, self-adhesive weather stripping and putting that in some areas might help tighten things up and stop the squeaks.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dielectric grease lasts a long time. Keeps rubber/seals soft, lubricates, stops squeeks, is waterproof and moderately inexpensive. Hardware and auto stores.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Thanks Everyone who took time from their holidays to respond. Further info, the door 'seems' to be tight, but I will take a look for shiny spots or other evidence of a poor fit. I will then start with wrapping the latch pin, then try Pledge (easier to source than T9, in our kitchen so no trip to the store needed).

In the interest of Science I will report back, but our next road trip is not scheduled until January. I might take it out for a spin before then, so results may be sooner.

Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #12

Latch pin in my Minnie...drove me crazy! Old fella at Ace said to try Slick 50. (Comes in a red spray can.) Hasn't squeaked since...8 years!!
jbarry130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

Thanks again for yet another excellent suggestion. Unfortunately there will be a delay before I can test any of these solutions. I am on active jury duty and we need to make a short term trip for family business immediately after, and then there's that Christmas thing. I might move the bus very late in December since I'm going to need a safety check, will have to decide what to try first. Most likely this will be dictated by what I happen to have on hand at the time.
Again, Thank You Everyone for your time. I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday season! (Oops, not December yet, too soon?)
Old 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Squeak drove us nuts until we put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the metal pin...totally silent now. I replaced the tape after about a year when it started tearing off the pin.

Alway learning on this forum! The squeaking door on our rig has been driving us crazy. I would lube it and it would last just a day or so. I put a couple wraps of electrical tape on the metal pin also and .... totally silent!!!

Thanks

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, quiet