Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #43

Hello Dolphin, I too recall the 60's and early 70's when I was 16 and gas was less that 30 cents a Gallon and my '58 impala 327 Cube In, used to get almost 15 MPG at 70+ MPH however my pay was considerably lower then too. As a Pte in the Canadian Army I was only getting $98 per month so the price of gas is relevant to my current rate of pay which is about 20 times more and price of gas is about the same. I think beer was about 10 cents a bottle at any pub now it's around $4.50 - $6.00 and tastes just as good at the current price. although I don't consume as much so it's cheaper even at the price.
Hicksie
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
just thought I would start this since I have a new 35 foot class A gasser on order and a new-bee to rv-ing
ford v10 362hp 242 wb 22k chassis

also what speed do you cruise at @ what mpg ?

thank you
mike
Try to go downhill as much as possible
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
US or Imperial MPG?
In this case, the 10MPG I was referring to was US MPG...which is about 12 Imperial. Solid numbers. I have a couple friends getting similar numbers, while others are getting 6-7, so I count myself as fortunate.

MPG with motor homes down to perfect combination of driving habits (1), engine/trans (2) weight and weight placement (3)...and then beyond that, tires, luck and body style/aerodynamics are 4,5,6. I placed luck before aerodynamics because sometimes there's not much, if any difference between machines, but you'll just have one that's better on fuel for no apparent reason. haha
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
update: went down to the bottom of Maine. We some pretty heavy winds and rain the entire way down and back (10hrs total), but even after boogying down the road at 70-75mph, we averaged over 10mpg!! Gas is so much cheaper in the US too I noticed! From empty, it cost me almost $100 less to fill!!
What are you using to calculate your MPGs. We got between 7 and 8 MPGs driving from OH to FL ~1k miles if we kept it below 62 MPH. On the way back we were running tight on time and drove it 70 most of the time with 75 here and there and we lost 2 MPGs. Ours is also a 36 footer with the new V10. I have to admit that I find it hard to believe that yours could achieve double digits.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
What are you using to calculate your MPGs. We got between 7 and 8 MPGs driving from OH to FL ~1k miles if we kept it below 62 MPH. On the way back we were running tight on time and drove it 70 most of the time with 75 here and there and we lost 2 MPGs. Ours is also a 36 footer with the new V10. I have to admit that I find it hard to believe that yours could achieve double digits.

To get the most accurate check you must use total mileage divided by total gallons over several consecutive fill-ups. If you have a computer device giving you a MPG read-out it is likely not correct.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #48
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
To get the most accurate check you must use total mileage divided by total gallons over several consecutive fill-ups. If you have a computer device giving you a MPG read-out it is likely not correct.
I keep seeing this assertion, but no evidence. Is the same true for automobiles?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My GPS allows me to enter the mileage, fuel amount, and cost and gives me a readout that shows "MPG" last tank and this trip and overall. When we went east to Regina from Vancouver Island last fall we got readings that varied from 6.2 (Crowsnest highway going over the Summit Lake summit) to 13.6 out on the prairies. I seldom go over 55 M (80K) when I travel and this gives me my best fuel economy. Being retired I plan on 300 mile days so I just puddle along staying out of everyone's way, as much as I can.

My over all MPG since I got the GPS is showing 10.1
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I keep seeing this assertion, but no evidence. Is the same true for automobiles?
Yes, I have seen this for over 20 years on the cars and trucks I have owned. I did have 2 GM cars (Aurora and Buick PA) that were always within a tenth. Absolute worst were Chrysler vehicles including two Ram pick-ups. My current daily driver (2013 KIA) and toad is always about 1.5 gallon higher than actual.

With a motorhome and the large tanks involved, just being a little off level at a fill up can vary the true tank fill. This will of course vary from actuals. I figure my mileage at the end of the trip on the final fill, I also just for the heck of it calculate at the individual fills, amazing how much the individuals vary can from each other.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
We've done the manual method and the scan gauge is dead on...probably better since it goes into decimals.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #52

Cruise set at 60mph. Average around 7mpg with mix of moderate hills and flat interstate.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Cruise set at 60mph. Average around 7mpg with mix of moderate hills and flat interstate.
+1

How is it that some folk are getting double digits? What's the secret? I don't even think my coach will give me that even with the 5 star tune.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm getting about 7.6 mpg with generator running. Cruising at 68-72 mph
Boatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I don't know about anybody else, but I use what's basically an advanced version of ScanGauge. While I trust that it gives a pretty accurate readout, that, combined with GPS, and my old rough calculations all add up to my 10+mpg being bang on. I'm no stranger to cars/trucks, and how much MPGs can vary, especially in heavy trucks. We had 2 identical vans, rolling on the same Goodyear tires. One got about 16-17mpg, the other a solid 20mpg. Nothing I did fixed the poor mileage of the other. Despite running perfectly, we replaced literally everything that could possibly effect fuel consumption (injectors, plugs, wires, coil/cap, air filter, ERG valve, o2 sensor, you name it. We even switched to synthetic blend for kicks). The outcome? Sometimes you get lucky, and get one that's easy on fuel

And it's understandable. There's a zillion components, all with variable tolerances, and all of which can be broken in and worn differently. As a rule, you could find of the 2 vehicle (especially older ones), and chances are, their fuel econ wouldn't be the same.

The best recorded MPG I've every achieved (keeping in mind, I have power / MPG adders), was with the wind at our back, and I hit 11.6 US, or 14 MPG imperial. This was obviously verified not only by the computer, but by the extra distance I got out of the 1/4 tank I had left. I keep it at 60, only use cruse on the straight aways, I get a gradual run towards hills, and coast down hill.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #56

Typically pushing 70mph+, I get about 9.25 mpg or so. I had one trip where I was pushing 85 to 90++ and got 8.25 mpg.

Tags
class a, gas