Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
How can a guy or gal not know? The manufacturer provides a tire pressure placard on the vehicle. In my experience, every placard lists a pressure which will support an axle at its maximum rating. In some cases drive and tag axles only require 80-90psi, yet the tire will likely have a max rating of 120psi. It would require an almost unimaginable degree of ignorance to just inflate all the tires to the sidewall maximum, when the basic information to make a knowledgeable decision is so readily available.

I agree, however, if I would have only gone by the tire placard, I would have eventually had one or both of the steer tires fail. My placard calls for 110 psi on all three axles. According to the inflation chart the correct psi was 115 in the steer, 85 in the drive and 70 for the tag. Running the steer underinflated might not have ended well.

We have side tracked the OP's question. To that, my response is: The correct temperature to set the pressures is the temp on the day you will drive the coach. 10 psi higher is an accepted and recommended practice.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
“For every 10 degrees increase in temperature, your air pressure will increase by approximately 1 psi.
Conversely, for every 10 degrees drop in temperature, your air pressure will decrease by approximately 1 psi.
Though this doesn’t sound drastic, it takes a toll over time, particularly when temperatures change from season to season. For example, if you check your pressure on recently driven tires in the afternoon, by the next morning during the coolest part of the day the pressure could have dropped by as much as 5-10 psi. This is enough to impact performance, fuel efficiency and treadwear. It is critically important to check your tire’s air pressure regularly, especially during colder months.”

The RV Tec at Midway RV told me for my 4326 the correct psi was 110-115 in the steer, 85 in the drive and 100 for the tag.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree, however, if I would have only gone by the tire placard, I would have eventually had one or both of the steer tires fail. My placard calls for 110 psi on all three axles. According to the inflation chart the correct psi was 115 in the steer, 85 in the drive and 70 for the tag. Running the steer underinflated might not have ended well.

We have side tracked the OP's question. To that, my response is: The correct temperature to set the pressures is the temp on the day you will drive the coach. 10 psi higher is an accepted and recommended practice.
Shame on Tiffin for putting such a placard on your coach.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Shame on Tiffin for putting such a placard on your coach.

The problem was in the proportioning valves taking weight off of the drive axle and shifting it onto the tag and steer tires. Once they were replaced with regulator valves, which Tiffin paid for, the steer axle was right at the weight rating (14,600#) of the steer tires @110 psi. The placard was a carryover from previous years when Tiffin used that axle on the front of the same model. Mine has the 15,600# axle. Newmar went through a similar issue a few years ago when they had some Dutch Stars come off the line with the front axles already overloaded. They replaced them with a heavier rated axle. Sometimes, the manufacturers don't get it right, but the good one correct the problem.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #47

^^^Do they still recommend 110psi for both rear axles?
Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #48

Can't believe this is a serious question,
It's common knowledge, EVERY spring and fall the air in
in front and rear tires need to be changed out.
A good local tire shop can do this. The air kind of losses
it's inflation values.
Look in your owners manual for tire 'AIR CARE '
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #49

Don't know. I haven't looked at any recently.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Just wondering how the airlines handle tire pressure while in flight from Anchorage to Honolulu or versa vicee.
Goodyear has 50-odd pages on the subject, if you care to learn more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41A2E205-9E24-4CED-A343-A804D62A1079.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	350952  
Old 12-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
it's inflation values.
That’s also a good time to replace the muffler belt. Of course, that should only be done when temperatures are between 60-70F, in shade, with a humidity level near 50%.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
it's inflation values.
Oh, and for gosh sakes, make sure you use the proper air in your tires when you change it - clockwise air for the passenger side, and counter-clockwise air for the driver's side. Otherwise the air in the tire won't rotate correctly as the rig runs down the road. It's ok for short distances, like when you are backing up into your site, but NOT when traveling long distances on the freeway. Doing so will wear down the air much faster!

The trick to getting the proper twist on the air is to make sure you put a couple loops in your air hose with the proper direction to the twist. No special air compressor needed, although if you want to carry two special air compressors you'll find the counter-clockwise compressors in the same isle as the left handed screwdrivers.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #53

Wonder how many auto parts stores will be getting requests for clockwise and counter clockwise compressors along with questions to MH dealers on how to locate the muffler belt?

Is it time to start another topic yet??
Old 12-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #54

Don’t forget the air replacement questions. Is there an environmental disposal fee for the old air?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Don’t forget the air replacement questions. Is there an environmental disposal fee for the old air?

Yeah. And I hear they are starting to require you to separate the oxygen from the nitrogen. Kind of like sorted recycling
Old 12-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

delete.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor, tire, tire pressure