Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #15

I think the route number you are looking for is 17.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrrvr View Post
I believe you were referencing I81 to I66 east to US17 south, although unless you had a reason to run I95 it is not the shortest route to AZ

I guess I'm as confused as others are. If the OP is headed to AZ from MA the last place I would want to go would be I-95. As the Roanoke resident said, just go down 81 to 40 and then you can cut further south at any time to I-10 or I-20 if you want to be sure to avoid snow. Unless there is some very compelling reason to take I-95 I would just take a much more leisurely drive down 81 to 40. Few mountains and not nearly the hassles of I-95.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Clarification

Tremendous response folks I appreciate it.

There seems to be confusion regarding my inquiry. We usually go to Key West leaving in January. We take 84 in CT and pick up 81 in Scranton. We drop down 81 until we get past DC to avoid the congestion. We then shoot over to 95 and travel the coast to FL. KW is not an option this year.

This year we are going to AZ via Texas in December. To avoid the possibility of bad weather in the mountains of VA and TN we will get off 81 south of DC and hook up with 95. My question was what is the exact route numbers to cross over from 81 to 95 south of DC?

We will pick up 10 in Mobile (and eat at the Fish House) then cruise on West through Texas and up to AZ.

60Vette
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Tremendous response folks I appreciate it.

There seems to be confusion regarding my inquiry. We usually go to Key West leaving in January. We take 84 in CT and pick up 81 in Scranton. We drop down 81 until we get past DC to avoid the congestion. We then shoot over to 95 and travel the coast to FL. KW is not an option this year.

This year we are going to AZ via Texas in December. To avoid the possibility of bad weather in the mountains of VA and TN we will get off 81 south of DC and hook up with 95. My question was what is the exact route numbers to cross over from 81 to 95 south of DC?

We will pick up 10 in Mobile (and eat at the Fish House) then cruise on West through Texas and up to AZ.

60Vette
If you are scrapping your plans to hit Key West then how about going down 81 to I-40 West to I-75 South to Chattanooga to I-59 south to I-65 South. That takes you right into Mobile without having to hit the east coast at all and with a minimum of mountain driving. Also, your odds of bad weather would appear to be no greater going inland than they would be running down the coast.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Playing with Google Maps, starting from Scranton, Pa, If you use I-81 to I-40, then at Knoxville TN switch to I-75 to Chatanooga, TN, I-24 to I-59 to Birmingham, AL to I-65, it's a 1,165 mile drive to Mobile, AL.

An alternative is to go S on I-81, W on I-80 to I-76 in OH, S on I-71 to Louisville, KY, then S on I-65 to Mobile. 1,299 miles, 2 hours longer drive time.

Using your route, I-81 to I-66, then US 17 to I-95 to Jacksonville, FL, then W on I-10, it's 1,372 miles.

Note: For a fish dinner, you'll then leave Mobile and travel on I-10 to Arizona. You'll have to deal with New Orleans or use I-12 to Baton Rouge, then Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Tuscon and Phoenix on I-10. From Scranton, Pa to Phoenix, AZ using this route through Mobile, it's 3,016 miles, 43 hours of driving.

If you forget the fish dinner, driving from Scranton, Pa, It's 2,471 mi, 36 hrs by using I-81 to I-40 to get to Phoenix, AZ.

The shortest route is I-80w to I-76 in OH, then S on I-71 to Columbus, OH, I-70 W to St. Louis, I-44 to Oklahoma City, I-40 W. 2,345 mi 34 hrs.

If all this extra driving is to escape snowflakes, I'd point out that until January, snow doesn't usually stay on the roads, even in the 'mountains' of WV, VA, TN, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you are scrapping your plans to hit Key West then how about going down 81 to I-40 West to I-75 South to Chattanooga to I-59 south to I-65 South. That takes you right into Mobile without having to hit the east coast at all and with a minimum of mountain driving. Also, your odds of bad weather would appear to be no greater going inland than they would be running down the coast.
I agree with this. We have done the 81 route every month from November to March over the years. We stop in Stauton VA. The first night. One year they had snow on the ground but I have not seen anything more than rain when we stop there.

It's not that high at that point. After that it's an easy jump to the end of 81 then head south.

I would do that 10 times vs getting onto 95 then driving to Florida and hanging a right once.

I do visit my parents on the east coast of FL. We Get off on 77 towards Charlotte and pick up 95 north of Savannah.

But each person has their preferences on route and type. Me I have preferred 81, it's about 40 miles further for us over all if going to Florida but it's a set the cruise control and relax type drive. 95 is a swear at everyone stop and go until you hit the Carolina's.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #21

You can A: from 81S take 66E to Route 17 to I95S at Fredericksburg. B: from 81S take 64E to I95S at Richmond C: take 81S to the end at I40. I would pick C and be prepared to do B. If bad weather is around, skip A (it's pleasant and pretty but nowhere near the advantage people think)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #22

Thank you all for your replies. After 2 years staying home in the Berkshires of western MA to attend elderly relatives I'm happy to get back down south.

Be safe,

60Vette
60Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #23

You're already on the internet, just go to google maps.