Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
You know depends on Ford or Chevy guy. But I got 1992 class a GM 454 Itasca Sunrise 27 ft and it's perfect size to get around with turns super sharp also some newer don't . But far as size 27ft with 158 wheelbase . Is a perfect motorhome. Once you go past that 158 inch wheelbase things start getting more difficult. 454 in 27ft 12,300 lbs it's a rocket ship 4:88 gears with over drive. 10 mpg . These are just my likes .
70mph no problem at about 1800rpms. 👍 385 ft torq at 1600rpms.
Thanks Itasca66, When you say things get more difficult over 158 inches, I'm not sure I know how you mean... I thought handling was easier in longer wheelbases..?
PacificRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificRVer View Post
DHart: Yes, Newmar looks like a great model. However, their wheelbases are 200 on up and I also haven't seen a Baystar under 30'. I will research them more, though. Thanks.
Actually, not correct. My Bay Star Sport 2702 is on a 178 inch wheelbase and is 27' 11" long. I have an 18,000 gvw and weighing each wheel showed the coach is very evenly loaded. With the correct tire pressures and proper alignment it handles just fine. No issues with 19.5 tires-most of the blow-out horror stories are about 22.5 rubber.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It sounds like you are describing my 2002 safari trek 2830
That's a nice unit, Isaac-, appreciate your telling me about it. Unfortunately, that floor plan wouldn't work for us, although it is a nice one. It has some really nice features--lots of kitchen! I can see why you really like it. We'd like a second bed in addition to a rear queen BR.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks Itasca66, When you say things get more difficult over 158 inches, I'm not sure I know how you mean... I thought handling was easier in longer wheelbases..?
My 27 ft is a 158 inch wheelbase is about same as 4 door extended cab truck 2008.
Yes longer wheelbase might ride nicer going down the road but getting around in parking lots and campgrounds state parks etc. Over 158 inch wheelbase it needs more swing at corners . It's a personel preference thing . If you watch guys parking and getting around . It all comes to light. So it's something to think about . I noticed most newer ones are longer wheelbase under 30ft now. I had to go back to the 90s to get shorter wheelbase and shorter turning . Turn radius in early 2000 wasn't that great.
I think it got better in mid 2000s. Look up different chassis . I think next step was the full axel in front you need to go to the 33ft workhorse chassis or bigger To get better turn radius. I'm sure there's guys in forum that know more about different chassis they made it's just something to look in to when purchasing a big motorhome.

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Actually, not correct. My Bay Star Sport 2702 is on a 178 inch wheelbase and is 27' 11" long. I have an 18,000 gvw and weighing each wheel showed the coach is very evenly loaded. With the correct tire pressures and proper alignment it handles just fine. No issues with 19.5 tires-most of the blow-out horror stories are about 22.5 rubber.
DHART, Thanks for the correction. I had missed the "Sport" and was looking at their brochure for the Bay Stars. I looked at your model online today and it looks like a floor plan that could work for us. I can really see why you like it, lots of wardrobe, looks comfortable... I'll keep my eyes open for a 2011 or -12 in our area to see. We still have to research the maximum wheelbase and turn radius we can accommodate, and that may take awhile. DH is working long hours out of town, so I have to work around his schedule. So glad you corrected me so that I looked again, thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I like the floor plan of the Thor Axis series. I've only seen them online, but I think you'll find the 25.2 fits your list, but I have no idea how it handles.
Thank you, Barb, I'll take a look at that one. Appreciate your response.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Oops, I apologize, AITG, the response to DHART was actually to your correction. I especially appreciate the info about how each wheel is very evenly loaded and about the tires. That is the kind of info I find it hard to find, other than through experienced owners. In case you didn't see my initial response to DHART (who I thank again) I'd forgotten the "Sport" when researching the Bay Star, and found the Bay Star brochure online. I've now researched the "Sport" and like it. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #50

Quote:
DHART, Thanks for the correction. I had missed the "Sport" and was looking at their brochure for the Bay Stars. I looked at your model online today and it looks like a floor plan that could work for us. I can really see why you like it, lots of wardrobe, looks comfortable... I'll keep my eyes open for a 2011 or -12 in our area to see. We still have to research the maximum wheelbase and turn radius we can accommodate, and that may take awhile. DH is working long hours out of town, so I have to work around his schedule. So glad you corrected me so that I looked again, thanks!
We looked at a Bay Star Sport, the 3013, though we want a Bay Star 3113 which is the same floor plan but a foot longer in the bedroom. There are some key differences between the lines like the chassis, generally 18000 lb vs 22000 lb, queen beds vs king in some Bay Stars and smaller refrigerators, 6 vs 8 cf. But other than that, they are basically the same coach. We didn't notice any significant differences in the materials, design or quality of the two lines. The queen bed and the cargo capacity of the 3013 are deal killers for us but otherwise, we'd be looking at the Sport.

I can tell you from all of our research that the Vegas, A.C.E., FR3, etc., are not on the same level as the entry level Newmar coaches. Newmar is several steps above those in many ways. We're ordering a 3113 this summer.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
My 27 ft is a 158 inch wheelbase is about same as 4 door extended cab truck 2008.
Yes longer wheelbase might ride nicer going down the road but getting around in parking lots and campgrounds state parks etc. Over 158 inch wheelbase it needs more swing at corners . It's a personel preference thing . If you watch guys parking and getting around . It all comes to light. So it's something to think about . I noticed most newer ones are longer wheelbase under 30ft now. I had to go back to the 90s to get shorter wheelbase and shorter turning . Turn radius in early 2000 wasn't that great.
I think it got better in mid 2000s. Look up different chassis . I think next step was the full axel in front you need to go to the 33ft workhorse chassis or bigger To get better turn radius. I'm sure there's guys in forum that know more about different chassis they made it's just something to look in to when purchasing a big motorhome.

Itasca66
Itasca66, Thanks so much for your further explanation and your personal experience with the shorter wheelbase. In looking online, the shorter wheelbases do seem harder to find.

Very interesting - your explanation helps me to better understand how wheelbase affects the amount of "swing" in a turn. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #52

I see alot of them Ford v10s on new rigs what's the gas milage on a 30 footer. The Bay star sport looks alot like a Monaco. At 22,000 lbs it's alot of rig. Looks pretty nice. 👍

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
We looked at a Bay Star Sport, the 3013, though we want a Bay Star 3113 which is the same floor plan but a foot longer in the bedroom. There are some key differences between the lines like the chassis, generally 18000 lb vs 22000 lb, queen beds vs king in some Bay Stars and smaller refrigerators, 6 vs 8 cf. But other than that, they are basically the same coach. We didn't notice any significant differences in the materials, design or quality of the two lines. The queen bed and the cargo capacity of the 3013 are deal killers for us but otherwise, we'd be looking at the Sport.

I can tell you from all of our research that the Vegas, A.C.E., FR3, etc., are not on the same level as the entry level Newmar coaches. Newmar is several steps above those in many ways. We're ordering a 3113 this summer.
Dan, I'm glad to know from someone who has done some good brand research, about the quality of Newmar and that you felt the Sport and Bay Star were similar in quality. The 3113 looks great. I couldn't tell whether the 3013 had a pass-through. Storage in and out is very important to us, but even more important is the ability to get it in our parking spot. That will be the biggest challenge for us.

If you have a chance, I'm also interested in your perceptions--and others' perceptions, too--of getting into parks/camping spots with a 31' vs. a 29'. Am wondering if I'm making too much of that extra couple of feet making a difference. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I am sure that is true, but they are not really in the same price range? The Vegas/Axis is a unique concept worth looking at if you are wanting a small coach, and decide if it fits your style.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Dan, I'm glad to know from someone who has done some good brand research, about the quality of Newmar and that you felt the Sport and Bay Star were similar in quality. The 3113 looks great. I couldn't tell whether the 3013 had a pass-through. Storage in and out is very important to us, but even more important is the ability to get it in our parking spot. That will be the biggest challenge for us.

If you have a chance, I'm also interested in your perceptions--and others' perceptions, too--of getting into parks/camping spots with a 31' vs. a 29'. Am wondering if I'm making too much of that extra couple of feet making a difference. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.
We looked at two rigs the day we saw the 3013, that Sport and a bigger Bay Star. One of them had pass through. Not the huge, cavernous pass through you see on class C's but enough for a ladder, an outdoor rug rolled up, etc. In fact, that rig had two compartments with pass through bays. I looked at the video we took but unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the storage bays

As for length, we're limiting ourselves to 35 feet and prefer something in the 32 to 33 foot range. I'm not sure you'll see a significant difference between a 29 footer and a 32 footer when driving and parking. But we've never owned a motorhome so what do I know? I'm going off of what I've read and heard.

If you're really concerned, test drive a couple of coaches in varying lengths and see what you think. Then look at the type of campgrounds you want to visit and see what kind of length limits they have. I doubt you'll find much consistency but the shorter your rig, the more campgrounds you can get into. Then again, the less room you have and the less stuff you can carry. It's a trade off but in the end, a floor plan you can live with is probably is more important than a few feet of length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I am sure that is true, but they are not really in the same price range? The Vegas/Axis is a unique concept worth looking at if you are wanting a small coach, and decide if it fits your style.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. FR3, A.C.E., etc. with popular options MSRP at around $120-130k. Bay Star Sports in similar lengths are only about $5k more. The 3013 we looked at was $131k. Those are generalizations but as far as we're concerned, you get a lot more in the Bay Star Sport even if you do pay a little more. Bay Stars, Sport or otherwise, are head and shoulders above most other entry level coaches but the prices don't reflect that in the Sport line.

The Vegas/Axis are unique but after seeing them and seeing some Sprinter based class C's, I think the Sprinters with the diesel engines are the better buy if you're looking for something that small.

YMMV
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #56

I guess I see and ACE and FR3 as 80k+/-,

If you are saying the baystar sport can be had for under 90 with negotiations, I agree there is not much difference in price point.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a