Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #29

I have the Newmar Baystar Sport 2903 (2016) and absolutely love it. We like the open floor plan without having a big blocky bathroom dividing the area.
I have no problems driving it, but as my first RV, I have nothing to compare it to. On the other hand as the first large vehicle I've ever driven, I have no problems driving it.
I really wanted the 3004 (love the kitchen space) but couldn't find one at the time. It has bunks which we were going to convert to storage. It sounds like it might be a good fit for you since there is no dinette.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wheelbase

In general, a shorter wheelbase will have a bouncier ride. That said, doing the CHF, changing to high quality shocks like Koni, and adding things like beefier sway bars, track bars, sumo springs, steering stabilizers, etc. shouldn't cost more than a couple thousand $. Tire pressure and quality of the tires also affects handling. Based on comments here and elsewhere, seems that Ford has improved the ride/handling of the F53 chassis in recent years (2015 +)
Old 01-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
Our first adventure in the RV world is a 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2705. They only made 19 of this model. I don't know why it was discontinued.

What drew us was:
A split bathroom
No dinette
Removable coach table
Folding center console table
Length
Gasser vs diesel
The BSS 2705 gets my vote for best small class 'A' as well. Just a great layout. Instead of a dinette, you get a pull-out table between the front seats. We opted to add this table to our coach, and it's really nice to have a coffee or meal for two.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
In general, a shorter wheelbase will have a bouncier ride. That said, doing the CHF, changing to high quality shocks like Koni, and adding things like beefier sway bars, track bars, sumo springs, steering stabilizers, etc. shouldn't cost more than a couple thousand $. Tire pressure and quality of the tires also affects handling. Based on comments here and elsewhere, seems that Ford has improved the ride/handling of the F53 chassis in recent years (2015 +)
A lot depends on who runs the wrench. Having a shop do the work will easily add up to four or five thousand. Smart shopping and your own wrench will significantly reduce it.

AFAIK the big change was the 6 speed transmission. I don't recall anything about handling for a given unit. Some brands and some models definitely seem to handle better than others. At least that is the reports around here.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #33

It is interesting to read how some describe "unsafe" driving conditions with their RVs, and others report little to no issues with theirs, all built on the same frames. Some have spent thousands to " improve" handling, some have climbed under the RV with basic tools, completed the "CHF", and adjusted air pressure and drove across the country!

Could it be the different floor plans? How the weight of the appliances and furniture are disbursed ?
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #34

2017 hurricane

We have just purchased a THOR Hurricane 29M and really pleased with the MH. It has great power, 10 Miles Per Gallon, and the new Ford tranny is smooth
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #35

IF you make a chart of different vendors of a floor plan you like you will find differences in wheel base and weight ratings that could account for a lot of the differences in handling. In general heavier weight rating means heavier running gear holding things down. Longer wheel base means more stability on the road. They usually go together.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieK View Post
We 're looking at new small class A motorhomes (under 30'). Reliability, ride, a minimum of slides and no dinette are important to us. Gas or diesel? Best brand? If you have a small class A, what is your advice?
We just bought a THOR Hurricane 29M, love the size, OK with the price, Power and Torque is good, Runs on cheap fuel, Gets 10 mile per gallon, AND IT'S GOT A KING SIZE BED!
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #37

New to forum and also looking at Class A's

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. Have read this thread and have found some great info. Thanks for that to all posters and to the original poster! We currently own a Class C Four Winds 2007 24 ft, which is too small for our plans to cross the U.S. in a year and a half. Like the original poster, DH and I are seriously considering a smaller, recent year used, Class A, probably not more than 29 ft. so it can fit in our parking area (we need to maneuver around a utility box area and then straighten out to fit between the next door neighbor's garden and our garage).

In researching Class A's, I'm concerned about sway and have made note of the suggestions for after-market items to help that, and also the weight as one factor. I know that floorplan is also #1.

At this point, I have a couple of other questions I could use some help with (below). Any other thoughts are welcome as well:

-It sounds like the length we're considering shouldn't be as much of a factor in fitting into spaces in most parks, does that sound right?

-One reason we want to get away from Class C's is their tendency to leak in the front cap, even with good maintenance (as we've experienced only too well). Are there any common leakage issues with the Class A's, assuming good maintenance around the seals?

-I see several models discussed here and am researching these, and have just come across the 2016 Jayco - Alante Floorplan: 26X. (We need to buy used and I haven't seen an older model in this one.) Wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of Jaycos in general and of this model for quality of build, sway/handling, or anything else? F-Series Super Duty Chassis, Triton / V10 engine, TorqShift 5 speed automatic, wheelbase 158 inches (I see that this is a factor in sway, but the shorter wheelbase is needed to fit into our parking space), GVWR 16,000 lbs., towing is 5k (we don't plan to tow), 19.5 G tires. Not sure which of these specs are the most important.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
PacificRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #38

You know depends on Ford or Chevy guy. But I got 1992 class a GM 454 Itasca Sunrise 27 ft and it's perfect size to get around with turns super sharp also some newer don't . But far as size 27ft with 158 wheelbase . Is a perfect motorhome. Once you go past that 158 inch wheelbase things start getting more difficult. 454 in 27ft 12,300 lbs it's a rocket ship 4:88 gears with over drive. 10 mpg . These are just my likes .
70mph no problem at about 1800rpms. 👍 385 ft torq at 1600rpms.

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
As others have said.. look at BayStar. Newmar builds awesome coaches!

We just sold a 2016 3124 BayStar that was an awesome and perfectly reliable coach... we just needed more space and diesel power for towing.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like the floor plan of the Thor Axis series. I've only seen them online, but I think you'll find the 25.2 fits your list, but I have no idea how it handles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #41

It sounds like you are describing my 2002 safari trek 2830 there is a good walk through video on you tube for a twin of mine. I am posting from my phone the walk through was posted by parkwayrv has some mistakes like calling it 25 ft instead of 28 really 29.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #42

Small Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
As others have said.. look at BayStar. Newmar builds awesome coaches!

We just sold a 2016 3124 BayStar that was an awesome and perfectly reliable coach... we just needed more space and diesel power for towing.
DHart: Yes, Newmar looks like a great model. However, their wheelbases are 200 on up and I also haven't seen a Baystar under 30'. I will research them more, though. Thanks.
PacificRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a