Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This will get you started: pex cutter; various pliers, cutters, and screwdrivers; battery powered drill and a good set of sharp bits; jig saw; air and water pressure gauges; duct and awning tape; a decent multimeter; tape measure; straight edge; assortment of various hardware; pinch clamps if you have an Aqua Hot; fuses and circuit breakers; spare cabinet door hinge; scissors; electrical and teflon tape; coax cable; bright flashlight and head lamp; long and short cable ties; open end wrenches (SAE and metric); socket set (SAE and metric, regular and deep well, 1/4" and 3/8"); ratcheting handle and bits (Hyper Tough from Walmart works well); sharp knife; spare TPMS sensor and batteries; wire and a wire stripper; crimp connectors and crimper; and sharpies. I keep a large tool box and most of the stuff listed on one side of my coach and a small, easily accessed tool box with common items on the other side. I hope this list helps you.
Steve 716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #44

This is a very good thread. I think tool collections are more of a journey than a destination, and some of these posts have reminded me of some things I need to carry on the rv.
One thing not touched on is the dilemma of having tools in two places. I have twinned a lot of the basics like vise grips and socket sets, but at times I've screwed up and found both of a particular tool were left at home. We just got back from a month long trip during which I realized I somehow left my extension cord at home. My electric impact gun wouldn't have been very useful without it. This never used to happen when we were full-timers. I need to add tools to my pre-travel checklist.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #45

A good sturdy tool bag that stands up ...With many pockets ...works great for me at work . Can put stuff in and out as need near you. Has shoulder strap I have climbed a many a ladder with it. A lot of it is basic electric tools 1/4 socket set ..3/8 rail ratchet.. two plastic parts boxes stacons...too much but add few big tools on the way I can fix most plant break downs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #46

So many good tools have been mentioned, I'll try and think of the offbeat stuff.
1. A big piece of cardboard you can lay on so you don't get dirty and gloves.
2. Hand cleaner and a good battery powered bright light for night work.
3. A 5 foot piece of 040 stainless steel safety wire rolled up. Will hold a lot.
4. Duct tape, JB weld, hand wipes, orange traffic cone.
5. Pop rivet gun and rivets.
6. A bottle of Rain-X in case the wiper motor fails(this happened to me and the
Rain-X saved my bacon.)
7. The largest breaker bar you can find.
8. A hacksaw
9. A roll of eternabond tape for that tree limb that attacks you.
10. A tire plug kit.
11. A spare tire and a bottle jack.
12.A plastic welding kit.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #47

Great Thread, I was about to ask the same questions as I think I either have to big a tool box or carrying the wrong stuff.
dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #48

One thing worth considering is that Lowe's makes a nice 300pc assortment and you catch it on sale a few times a year. I think they may even have one that's in blow-molded plastic now, which is very nice.

I've switched over to Kobalt and away from Craftsman because I noticed the Craftsman quality going down, the Kobalt quality going up and because I can normally find a Lowes anywhere we go, so if I break it, replacements are generally easy.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
One thing worth considering is that Lowe's makes a nice 300pc assortment and you catch it on sale a few times a year. I think they may even have one that's in blow-molded plastic now, which is very nice.

I've switched over to Kobalt and away from Craftsman because I noticed the Craftsman quality going down, the Kobalt quality going up and because I can normally find a Lowes anywhere we go, so if I break it, replacements are generally easy.
And now BOTH are available at Lowes......
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
So many good tools have been mentioned, I'll try and think of the offbeat stuff.
1. A big piece of cardboard you can lay on so you don't get dirty and gloves.
I used to carry a big piece of cardboard until I found a Magic Creeper:

Cloud Cap Innovation brings you the revolutionary Magic Creeper; the versatile mechanic and household creeper. With a stunning zero ground clearance, this wheel-less creeper takes the stress out of working in tight, low clearance, and hard to reach places. Whether it is maneuvering under the car, the RV, in the garage or under the house, the Magic Creeper makes it happens seamlessly. The unique tubular shape acts like a track moving along effortlessly for up to 5 feet without the need to reposition; and the best part, your tools can go with you! Simply set them on the mat next to you and slide to where you need to be. The tools slide right alongside you and are always within reach. The unique tubular shape also allows the Magic Creeper to function as a low clearance dolly for moving heavy or awkward items. It is perfect for sliding items easily in and out of a pickup bed, for moving heavy pots in the garden, or for shifting that filing cabinet in the office. The patent pending multi-layer construction boasts a rugged outer layer designed for superior strength as well as water, oil and puncture resistance. The resilient middle layer provides comfort, insulation, and protection from hard work surfaces; while the super-slick inner layer acts like millions of tiny ball bearings allowing for smooth and effortless movement even on rough and uneven surfaces. Unlike traditional creepers and dollies, the Magic Creeper's specialized materials won't damage expensive floor finishes and it is maintenance free! When the job's done, simply wipe it down, roll it up and store it away. The 60 inches x 28 inches Magic Creeper rolls up and secures to a mere 29 inches x 5 inches, and weighs in at just over 3 pounds; making it easy to store in your trunk, under the car seat, in the RV or anywhere else you may need it. The Magic Creeper is so versatile, easy and convenient to use, you'll want one with you wherever you go.

Available here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just don't step on that thing while it's laying on the ground...you'll depart vertical and arrive horizontal with a thud.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
My tool box is too big to haul around so I spent $30 at Harbor Freight for this 130 pc set. Not professional mechanic quality but good enough for my needs and it stores easily.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ase-63248.html
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
And now BOTH are available at Lowes......
They are - but like the feel of the Kobalt tools much better. The ratchets are smoother, lock into place better, etc. Plus I've got about 3 full sets of their sockets and wrenches laying about.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:30 AM   #53

For those near a Sams club or member if every store has them. As far as socket set ,this was pretty nice starter set think it was $84. You might not need 12 & 6 point sockets in all the sizes that are duplicated until you loose one.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_194017.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	240447Click image for larger version

Name:	20190401_194000.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	240448
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #54

https://www.geardate.com/products/ma...SABEgIpwfD_BwE

Think I need this
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #55

For getting under the bus if its wet or whatever ?
I use one of the patio mats we carry.
A large and a small size.
Or an old carpet runner we cary
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #56

I have a lot of tools but still needed a set that was organized and portable so i just picked up this on below off ebay, it's probaly 90% of what i need.

GearWrench 239-Piece SAE/Metric Mechanics Tool Set
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote