Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Vito. We have a 2004 Monaco Signature with the Detroit diesel that has 134,000 miles on it. It is a solid coach. I have come across a person who has a Monaco Dynasty with 800,000+ miles on it and it is still going strong. We absolutely love ours. I see these coaches are now going for 80,000 to 100,000. They are well worth it.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #16

Best used DP for the money?

Easy ... 2008 Newmar Kountry Star.
All the beautiful quality of a Londonaire, less some of the fancier options, powerful Cummins 400isl, side rad, comfort drive. All at a very affordable price.
I didn’t pick wrong

Here 1 example.

https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Kountry-S...559985-UX81865
Old 04-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
I agree with Vito. We have a 2004 Monaco Signature with the Detroit diesel that has 134,000 miles on it. It is a solid coach. I have come across a person who has a Monaco Dynasty with 800,000+ miles on it and it is still going strong. We absolutely love ours. I see these coaches are now going for 80,000 to 100,000. They are well worth it.
DAMN Chet, 800k miles? The highest I've seen have been in the 250k plus and still going and looking great but 800k is impressive for a non-bus structure. What year Dynasty was it?

Ours only has 130k on it and I'm making that push to 200k myself.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
DAMN Chet, 800k miles? The highest I've seen have been in the 250k plus and still going and looking great but 800k is impressive for a non-bus structure. What year Dynasty was it?

Ours only has 130k on it and I'm making that push to 200k myself.
Hi Mike, It was the same vintage as our coaches. I can't remember if it was an '03 or '04. It was one of the green tan ones and sure looked good. He said the engine, a Cummins had to have the manifold gaskets replaced about 100,000 miles ago.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Hi Mike, It was the same vintage as our coaches. I can't remember if it was an '03 or '04. It was one of the green tan ones and sure looked good. He said the engine, a Cummins had to have the manifold gaskets replaced about 100,000 miles ago.
Thanks for the response Chet. That is impressive to say the least.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I'm in the pre DEF camp myself. Cat got out of the on highway engines around this time due to emissions regulations but have plenty of support from the heavy equipment side..2008/09 coach build would be the last of the pre def era. I think a Mid to higher end coach with the least amount of electronic gadgets on it the better. Examples would be manual hydraulic Jack's vs automatic Jack's, mechanical gear driven slides vs hydraulic slides standard Dsi water heater over older hydro hot units, and a residential fridge..system's that are more reliable, simpler and easier to trouble shoot and repair would be my choice especially if budget matters. The Spartan would be an upgrade in chassis but may be more expensive to repair and harder to find parts for. Monaco, Newmar, Tiffin and of course I'm biased to National would be make my list.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #21

This is an interesting post as at some stage will probaly move to a DP. For me if getting a Newmar it would have to be model with adjustable comfort drive. Not sure if that means a 2008 or 2009.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #22

A great Tiffin Allegro Bus 37' 2002 but actually a 2003 model (36OP) is coming onto the market it June. We are getting ready for a last big trip (Oregon to Key West, FL) and will be putting the coach on the market when we return. It is in great shape and the normal items that get replaced with age have been done. It is a trouble free coach in perfect mechanical condition. I am expecting no problems on our 8000 mile round trip. It will be priced around $51K. Cat engine will be about 110,000 miles at the end of our trip. Stay tuned for the listing.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #23

Maintenance record- well cared for
Floor plan you like.
One that has actually been used- lot rot is real.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #24

Hard to go wrong with a Travel Supreme if you can find one for sale. Mine is a 2002 and not glamorous but sturdy and reliable. Cummins/Allison, raised rail chassis for good basement storage, and side radiator for easy access to the engine compartment. Average 10mpg at 35,000 lbs.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
DP Pusher to buy. I may have one For Sale.

My wife and I may be selling ours. Purchased used in 2020. We have a 2000 Country Coach MAGNA, 385 CAT C-10, Allison 6 speed. Purchased at 38K miles.
We are are on a trip now and will be returning west soon. Rig was stored inside and part time under cover. At the time of purchase there were many little items that needed attention. I have gone through it and fixed everything. I am having the M110 steering gearbox leak fixed before we leave Texas. Box doesn’t need rebuild, just sector shaft seal and any other seals following disassembly. Other than that there are no leaks of any kind. Towing my small SUV I consistently show 8.2 MPG. That is from Oregon to Texas. Not positive if we really want to sell. If we find the right Prevost, we’ll sell the CC.
Butterball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #26

1999 Safari Serengeti oldy but goodie

You won't find a better built rig than Monaco. Loved our Safari, plus no fiberglass outer walls to get water damage on, all outside walls are aluminum and ceramic title floors that after 20 years old still haven't cracked. You can still find many of these rigs with under 100k on them with plenty of life left and under 50k. And air ride suspension for sure, my Safari had eight air bags and rode like a Cadillac.
Good luck
swilli155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #27

DP choice

Most diesel engines should last longer than most coaches with a little care. I like my pre def CAT but I think you should choose a coach you like the looks of and the inside layout, then have it checked out. Pick something you like that matches your style and planned use. Do you want spring or air suspension? How long do you want? Shorter ones appear be light in the front. Do you want turn key or a project? You get the idea. A few years ago i talked to a gentleman with a super c 550, said he had owned a 350 and a 450 before, but it wasn't until he had the 550 that it handled like he wanted.

97 Safari Sahara 3550 300HP CAT
OnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Go with tiffin!!!!

TIFFIN is the only RV manufacturer that consistently uses "normal parts" that can be bought anywhere, has been top-rated for making a quality product that most everyone can service, and has succeeded in not going broke or out of business, as so many others have.

TIFFIN has been acquired by the "Thor" group --- which owns many, many RV companies --- with the agreement that Tiffin will continue to be run by the Tiffin family and will be the "Top of the Line" RV brand for Thor.

Since the 2008 economic bust RV company after RV company has gone out of business. Think carefully about what this means to you and to getting service and maintenance on your new-to-you bus.

Again, Tiffin is the only diesel pusher I would recommend.
Leslie: 10 years full-time, "See the USA" RVer in Tiffin 39' diesel bus & Jeep Grand Cherokee; then house with Phoenix Cruiser 21' Class "C" & no toad; & house with Tiffin 34' gas Allegro Open Road & no toad.
EasyRVing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money