Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #71

Another question. I am really only looking at coaches 2002 to 2007, so pre DEF and sort of focusing on Monaco right now ( the number of manufacturers and models is daunting) . Do most of these coaches have ABS brakes?
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #72

I sure wish someone made a DP in a bunkhouse model. Seem most DP are set up with only one bed. No side bunks or drop down bunks.
SuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #73

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2162 View Post
Another question. I am really only looking at coaches 2002 to 2007, so pre DEF and sort of focusing on Monaco right now ( the number of manufacturers and models is daunting) . Do most of these coaches have ABS brakes?
Some, but not all. Easiest way to tell is turn the key on to the run position, usually at "wait to start" engine preheat time.
If it has ABS, the "ABS" idiot light should illuminate and go out once the engine is started. Not many straight air/drum brakes of that era had ABS, although Bendix did offer it as an option on class 7-8 trucks.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:44 AM   #74

I would look for a used converted Prevost, Newell, or Bluebird. I have owned 2 Prevosts that were 10 yo when I purchased them and then kept them for 10 yrs and 200k miles. I did not have a problem finding financing for either of them. Biggest pain was rewiring after a rodent chew of 60 wire flat cable. I was able to buy the schematics, electric, plumbing, entertainment for a very reasonable price from the converter.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #75

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyjerry View Post
What amount of money are you looking to buy a coach for.
Weíre hoping to be road ready below $70k + or - depending on the rig.
MDM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Used MH and financing

If a VET, try USAA. 2 years ago they wanted to finance my 2007 Damon Astoria Pacific for 15 years for full book. Great DP with Cummins Allison. Towed Ford Fusion on dolly and air brakes, jake break, transmission, and occasional touching break petal for a few seconds handled mountain driving between Cody and Sheridan just great.

Engine is 5.9 Cummins ISB-2 with 300 hp @2700rpmAlittle sluggish on some mountain grades but went as fast as I wanted to drive.

Would recommend a Damon Astoria Pacific for comfort, value, and performance even though Damon absorbed by Thor and no longer built. No def used and Freightliner Raised Rail Chassis is a good one.

If you see any signs on ceiling of water leaks allow at least $7,000 for replacement. I had new metal bracing, decking, and 2 layers fiberglass put on mine.

Wish you and others great success in finding mh that works for you.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We decided to focus on build quality, move back in age of the coach to what we could afford. Roads are bad, need a heavy and quality suspension to keep the cabinets on the walls. No regrets on a Prevost Liberty.
canman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #78

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Country Coach built their own semi monocoque steel chassis called the DynoMax. It was also used on a few other makes for a while. Very solid chassis with good insulation.
First and second are a possible rollover aftermath. I don't know anything about it.
Third is a DynoMax chassis
Fourth is a Prevost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged CC3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	326098   Click image for larger version

Name:	damaged CC1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	326099  

Attached Images

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
I'm in the pre DEF camp myself. Cat got out of the on highway engines around this time due to emissions regulations but have plenty of support from the heavy equipment side..2008/09 coach build would be the last of the pre def era. I think a Mid to higher end coach with the least amount of electronic gadgets on it the better. Examples would be manual hydraulic Jack's vs automatic Jack's, mechanical gear driven slides vs hydraulic slides standard Dsi water heater over older hydro hot units, and a residential fridge..system's that are more reliable, simpler and easier to trouble shoot and repair would be my choice especially if budget matters. The Spartan would be an upgrade in chassis but may be more expensive to repair and harder to find parts for. Monaco, Newmar, Tiffin and of course I'm biased to National would be make my list.
I disagree about manual vs automatic hyd jacks and slides. Mine has never given be one minute of repair problems. Yes the Spartan chassis was a $5,000 upgrade in 2000 over the Freightliner chassis; however parts are widely available as this is a bus chassis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
I sure wish someone made a DP in a bunkhouse model. Seem most DP are set up with only one bed. No side bunks or drop down bunks.
There are a few out there and I'm always surprised that there's not more.

I guess the old saying is still holding true in the DP (especially luxury DP) world;

" Cocktails for 6, dinner for 4, sleeps 2. "
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #81

Diesel coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM2 View Post
Weíre hoping to be road ready below $70k + or - depending on the rig.
Gotcha. I think there are two of you looking on this thread. If you can pm me, I might have what you are looking for. If this post isnít allowed please remove, thank you.
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #82

For all the drum brake naysayers, the drum brakes will have more pad material and usually have more braking than disc brakes. The thing is with drums is the drum expands as they get hot and separate from the pads when braking unless it is taken up by the system. Some think the brakes are fading, well they are but it is not why they think it is. So you release the pedal and grab some more....... And drums are heavy.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearranged View Post
For all the drum brake naysayers, the drum brakes will have more pad material and usually have more braking than disc brakes. The thing is with drums is the drum expands as they get hot and separate from the pads when braking unless it is taken up by the system. Some think the brakes are fading, well they are but it is not why they think it is. So you release the pedal and grab some more....... And drums are heavy.
Not sure if drums have more stopping power. When I am behind tractor trailers sometimes I see a sign on the trailer.

Warning. Trailer has disc brakes. Stopping distance reduced

That would indicate more stopping power.
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #84

2008, I believe it was the first year for DEF. The bugs weren't worked out. I remember reading posts on DEF problems.

Gary 05 AMB DST
gryhester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money