Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 01:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Davis View Post
3 pages of responses here, and no one has mentioned the brakes. Best I can tell, most DPs didn't switch from drum brakes to disc brakes until the 2010- 2011 time frame. I once had a 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Nice coach, but I sold it because long descents often scared the crap out of me. The drum brakes would fade to useless very quickly, and the engine brake and transmission just wouldn't hold it back. This is a SERIOUS design flaw and knowing what I know now, I would never own again.

To me getting disc brakes is far more important than pre-DEF engines.

One other consideration. Lots of folks opining here that miles don't matter on diesel engine coaches. Well that may be true for the engine itself, but the suspension components, steering components, differentials, drive shafts etc all wear at the same rate regardless of type of engine.
Our 06 Wanderlodge has disc brakes. No one mentions Bluebird but if you want a welded steel bus chassis they offer great values. Our 450 Lxi has 2-4500 watt pure sine wave inverters plus another 1500 watt inverter just for the refrigerator. At 52K pounds it is a great ride. The M380 can be had for your budget. The online support for these buses is great with the WOG forum.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 04:07 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Best used DP for the money?

We have owned three motorhomes, and all have had disc brakes:
- 1982 Airstream Classic 30’
- 1994 Monaco Crown Royale - Signature Edition
- 2005 Monaco Signature (has drums on the tag axle)

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:35 AM   #45

Good luck on your search. We are on our third MH a 04 Phaeton w/CAT have had both Cat & cummins...cant tell a bit of difference....Expense on the Cat & the Cummins...CAT water pump--Cummins air compressor. plus normal maintainance. Several upgrades...will drive the Phaeton from now on ! Been doing this for 16 years anywhere from 4 to 6 months on the road per year. 161,000 miles total. Cant beat a Tiffin Phaeton IMHO
J. W. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #46

What is the consensus on Safari motor homes and how do they compare to Monaco?
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #47

Don't forget Foretravel, very nice coaches in the early 2000s. We had narrowed our search to semi monocoque tag axle chassis. We really liked Foretravel but alas I am too tall for these coaches. We like our CC, and saw some very nice Monaco and Beaver coaches as well.
'01 Country Coach Affinity 42 #6012 Cat C12 505hp
16 Wrangler
sbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #48

Newmar Dutchstar 4369 <2015.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Seems most people are saying 2003-2008 MONACO's or TIFFIN's are the way to go. I was expecting to see Newmar in there too?

Definitely Newmar also
Old 04-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Davis View Post
3 pages of responses here, and no one has mentioned the brakes. Best I can tell, most DPs didn't switch from drum brakes to disc brakes until the 2010- 2011 time frame. I once had a 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Nice coach, but I sold it because long descents often scared the crap out of me. The drum brakes would fade to useless very quickly, and the engine brake and transmission just wouldn't hold it back. This is a SERIOUS design flaw and knowing what I know now, I would never own again.

To me getting disc brakes is far more important than pre-DEF engines.

One other consideration. Lots of folks opining here that miles don't matter on diesel engine coaches. Well that may be true for the engine itself, but the suspension components, steering components, differentials, drive shafts etc all wear at the same rate regardless of type of engine.
Our 2000 Alpine is four wheel disc with ABS., and as mentioned Beaver had them too. I've never experienced brake fade in our coach. So I guess I'm throwing Alpine into the mix of searches as well. IMO, any QUALITY made coach pre emission would be my first search criteria. Good luck.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Easy ... 2008 Newmar Kountry Star.
All the beautiful quality of a Londonaire, less some of the fancier options, powerful Cummins 400isl, side rad, comfort drive. All at a very affordable price.
I didn’t pick wrong

Here 1 example.

https://www.rvt.com/Newmar-Kountry-S...559985-UX81865
That's a great example and a beautiful coach. We bought our 2007 quad slide Diplomat for 54K. I can do a lot of upgrading with the extra 46k. I didn't pick wrong.... IMO.

Best coach under 100k you might win the prize.
Best value I think our Diplomat is in the running. We also bought during covid which wasn't easy to find a deal.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #52

Just starting to look at old Coaches

I am just starting to investigate older coach options. Retiring in 3 years, but we will be selling our sticks and bricks up North a year earlier and are working 3 months per year in our FL retirement house now due Covid remote work options now available. This may lead to us being able to buy an RV earlier while still working remote. Plan to RV 6 months per year in Q1 and Q3.

1. Are there any issues insuring or financing an older coach?
2. I was under the impression you could not buy mechanical breakdown insurance if over 10 years old, is this true?
3. I am a mechanical engineer and very comfortable troubleshooting mechanical and electrical systems, even to the point I have designed and installed a full solar system for a club. I also have prior pull behind camper experience. Is there anything you would warn against as coaches start to age? I would plan to pay for a full inspection prior to buying. Roof condition/ construction and no water damage are my top concerns.
4. Lastly, I was previously thinking that a 4 year old coach might be the sweet spot to reduce depreciation risk, but have most systems in like new condition and have worked out all the construction punch list. That is obviously a price point at least 2x above these early 2000’s coaches. I have recently been thinking about buying a new Diesel truck and going the 3 year old 5th wheeler route to minimize depreciation and keep the total cost below $150K but my wife really like the idea of access to the back while driving or at stops.

I am really thinking the older DP route while upgrading some of the systems like all new tires, batteries, etc and allowing a bit more per year for budgeted maintenance might be the best path forward. All advice appreciated.
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #53

We have been very happy with our '02 Tiffin Allegro bus. We have had to replace some things: heater core, a/c compressor, the plastics on the roof and radiator surge tank. But now that they are replaced we should be pretty trouble free. For what we paid for the coach, we can do a lot of minor things and still be money ahead. My brother in law bought an Allegro Bus five years newer than ours and spend over $75 more. I can do a lot with the extra $75K. I also really like being pre-DEF. Nothing wrong with an older coach as long as it has been maintained.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Looking at moving up to our first DP or maybe even a Super C. Want to stay under 100k so we are looking at used coaches over 37'. What years motors are better then other years? Cat or Cummins engines? What to look for and what to stay clear of? We've had 5 Gas RV's but never a DP so any other advice would be great.
Best used DP for the money and over 37' ? ... 1990's Prevost... preferably one that was done by Country Coach.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Unless you buy a Newell or Prevost or other custom bus type conversion...aren't they all a house built on a chassis? Spartan is just a chassis, like Freightliner.

You are correct, my post was about why does a chassis make the building of the “house “ better when the same people built it.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everyone recommends the brand they have. Typical I guess.
We do love our 02 Journey by Winnebago. Easy to get parts for too. No DEF.
I think they're an overlooked gem for the money myself.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money