Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
I am just starting to investigate older coach options. Retiring in 3 years, but we will be selling our sticks and bricks up North a year earlier and are working 3 months per year in our FL retirement house now due Covid remote work options now available. This may lead to us being able to buy an RV earlier while still working remote. Plan to RV 6 months per year in Q1 and Q3.

1. Are there any issues insuring or financing an older coach?
2. I was under the impression you could not buy mechanical breakdown insurance if over 10 years old, is this true?
3. I am a mechanical engineer and very comfortable troubleshooting mechanical and electrical systems, even to the point I have designed and installed a full solar system for a club. I also have prior pull behind camper experience. Is there anything you would warn against as coaches start to age? I would plan to pay for a full inspection prior to buying. Roof condition/ construction and no water damage are my top concerns.
4. Lastly, I was previously thinking that a 4 year old coach might be the sweet spot to reduce depreciation risk, but have most systems in like new condition and have worked out all the construction punch list. That is obviously a price point at least 2x above these early 2000’s coaches. I have recently been thinking about buying a new Diesel truck and going the 3 year old 5th wheeler route to minimize depreciation and keep the total cost below $150K but my wife really like the idea of access to the back while driving or at stops.

I am really thinking the older DP route while upgrading some of the systems like all new tires, batteries, etc and allowing a bit more per year for budgeted maintenance might be the best path forward. All advice appreciated.

Financing over 10yrs is a bit of a chore.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #58

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
1. Are there any issues insuring or financing an older coach?
2. I was under the impression you could not buy mechanical breakdown insurance if over 10 years old, is this true?
3. I am a mechanical engineer and very comfortable troubleshooting mechanical and electrical systems, even to the point I have designed and installed a full solar system for a club. I also have prior pull behind camper experience. Is there anything you would warn against as coaches start to age? I would plan to pay for a full inspection prior to buying. Roof condition/ construction and no water damage are my top concerns.
4. Lastly, I was previously thinking that a 4 year old coach might be the sweet spot to reduce depreciation risk, but have most systems in like new condition and have worked out all the construction punch list. That is obviously a price point at least 2x above these early 2000’s coaches. I have recently been thinking about buying a new Diesel truck and going the 3 year old 5th wheeler route to minimize depreciation and keep the total cost below $150K but my wife really like the idea of access to the back while driving or at stops.

I am really thinking the older DP route while upgrading some of the systems like all new tires, batteries, etc and allowing a bit more per year for budgeted maintenance might be the best path forward. All advice appreciated.

I doubt you will find some company that will finance anything older than about 6 yrs. Its not like they want that on the books.

Save some $ and find someone that will let you cover the balance you didnt put up.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Our 2000 Alpine is four wheel disc with ABS., and as mentioned Beaver had them too. I've never experienced brake fade in our coach. So I guess I'm throwing Alpine into the mix of searches as well. IMO, any QUALITY made coach pre emission would be my first search criteria. Good luck.
So based upon some responses here, I was clearly wrong about when disc brakes became available in the industry. My apologies.

My point though, and it is an important point, is AVOID any used coach with drum brakes. The WILL fade to nothing when you need them the most. And yes, our 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial had an engine brake and it was working properly. I will always remember coming down I17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Engine brake engaged, and transmission shifted down appropriately, the coach would gradually pick up speed to the point that the engine would reach it's red line (maximum rated revolutions per minute) so the transmission would UPSHIFT itself to the next gear and away we would go! Trying to time quick hard brake applications to avoid this and not loose all braking capabilities left me knowing my next coach would have disc brakes. Please don't under estimate the importance of this.
So when choosing a used DP, climb under the front and look for yourself.
Ken Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #60

My 95Crown Royale has 4 wheel disc brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Davis View Post
3 pages of responses here, and no one has mentioned the brakes. Best I can tell, most DPs didn't switch from drum brakes to disc brakes until the 2010- 2011 time frame. I once had a 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Nice coach, but I sold it because long descents often scared the crap out of me. The drum brakes would fade to useless very quickly, and the engine brake and transmission just wouldn't hold it back. This is a SERIOUS design flaw and knowing what I know now, I would never own again.

To me getting disc brakes is far more important than pre-DEF engines.

One other consideration. Lots of folks opining here that miles don't matter on diesel engine coaches. Well that may be true for the engine itself, but the suspension components, steering components, differentials, drive shafts etc all wear at the same rate regardless of type of engine.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Most companies will finance a coach up to 10 years old.
The main RV finance companies are Good Sam, Bank of the West, and SunTrust Bank.
If a coach is over 10 years old, some folks will use a home equity loan to finance it. Using this method the rates are lower.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Who knew buying an RV would be so complicated. We started looking at used class C’s. Current pricing makes them so close to new we looked at new models (no stock). Now we are onto used class A’s.

Any thoughts on a 2004 Fleetwood Providence 39s, at a dealer, vs a 2008 Holiday Rambler 40skq private seller (took in on trade)? Honestly my head is about to explode. If any of you, more experienced folk, are in central NJ I’ll buy the steak and beer if you help me out.

Mark
MDM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #63

Lot's of head scratchers in this thread.

I bought a 2000 Monaco last year. My credit union had no problem financing the entire purchase. They went off KBB value and were able to loan up to 100%. I put a healthy amount down and have an 800 credit score but the idea you can't finance anything over 6-10 years old? Ridiculous!

Drum brakes being a problem? Do you know what semi trucks use? DRUM BRAKES! I spent this winter snowboarding all across the western united states and did every awful pass and downhill you can think of (and many of those in adverse conditions.) You know what I never had trouble with? Brakes. Drum brakes worked flawlessly and I'm 38' and around 30,000 lbs. My engine brake didn't work and I still didn't have any issues. Geared down and did stabs as needed. Never once lost brake feeling.

Here are my tips while shopping for a Class A:
- Look for a coach that does NOT have the base engine and generator. If the original owner purchased upgrades in those two areas ($$$$) then they likely didn't skimp in other places.
- Check tires and battery dates. This should indicate how well your coach has been serviced and maintained. These are both big ticket items that should represent the level of care it received.
- Push and feel around all of the walls and ceiling for soft spots and visually inspect for water damage (check roof for any areas with "new" sealant and look below this area.) Water damage and rot is the main way these older coaches can "break down" and repairs are EXPENSIVE.
- Layout is the MOST important thing about the aesthetics. For me this means my coach needs to be fully functional with the slides in. I need to be able to cook and access the fridge while stealth camping in an urban environment/truck-stop/rest-area/beach/etc. Everything else (except for layout) can be changed/remodeled.

Find one that ticks all the boxes and be ready with cash to buy (things are moving quickly -- if you waffle on your purchase it will be gone when you make up your mind.)

Keep some money in reserve for the little things that are going to go wrong (and don't let them ruin your day.) Things are going to break and sometimes it will happen at the worst possible time (ask me how I know?) It's all part of the adventure! As long as you've got ice
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM2 View Post
Any thoughts on a 2004 Fleetwood Providence 39s, at a dealer, vs a 2008 Holiday Rambler 40skq private seller (took in on trade)? Honestly my head is about to explode. If any of you, more experienced folk, are in central NJ I’ll buy the steak and beer if you help me out.
Fleetwood is a budget coach. Holiday Rambler is towards the top. There is no comparison in the build quality of the two. I would establish your budget and narrow it down to a few builders that you feel comfortable with -- go back in years to find a coach in your budget. Watch the market for a few weeks and you'll get an idea of what a "fair" price is when you see one pop up.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Everyone recommends the brand they have. Typical I guess.
We do love our 02 Journey by Winnebago. Easy to get parts for too. No DEF.
I think they're an overlooked gem for the money myself.
I didn't recommend any DP's I have owned…
I was an RV tech back in the 90's and the top quality built coaches at that time were Prevost, Newell and Foretravel.
If I wanted the best built coach that I could possibly get for the money it would be a converted Prevost. I know some people prefer the Detroit series 60 engine but I would hold out for a supercharged 8V92. A Country Coach conversion would be the cherry on top of the ice cream.
I always thought I would get into a Prevost but I need a much shorter wheelbase these days or I would have one myself.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #66

Thanks for all the input! There's one for sale close to where I live I might go look at. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...TGH-5016241889
Old 04-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #67
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Davis View Post

My point though, and it is an important point, is AVOID any used coach with drum brakes. The WILL fade to nothing when you need them the most. And yes, our 2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial had an engine brake and it was working properly. I will always remember coming down I17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Engine brake engaged, and transmission shifted down appropriately, the coach would gradually pick up speed to the point that the engine would reach it's red line (maximum rated revolutions per minute) so the transmission would UPSHIFT itself to the next gear and away we would go! Trying to time quick hard brake applications to avoid this and not loose all braking capabilities left me knowing my next coach would have disc brakes. Please don't under estimate the importance of this.
So when choosing a used DP, climb under the front and look for yourself.
My Country Coach weighs in at about 35k lbs. and I tow a 4K lb. truck. I’ve gone down many grades living out west, including the 10% grade on the Teton pass. I’ve NEVER had brake fade with my drum brakes. I’ve always felt in total control when descending a mountain. It’s important to keep your Rpm’s just below redline to to insure maximum use of your engine brake.

Bill
Old 04-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Thanks for all the input! There's one for sale close to where I live I might go look at. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...TGH-5016241889

That looks like a good candidate, let us know how it works out if you go.

Keith
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #69

Buying coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM2 View Post
Who knew buying an RV would be so complicated. We started looking at used class C’s. Current pricing makes them so close to new we looked at new models (no stock). Now we are onto used class A’s.

Mark
What amount of money are you looking to buy a coach for.
Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #70

[QUOTE=Ludmilla;5701668 Also make sure they know what maintenance SHOULD be done. Oil and filter changes are not sufficient. Mileage on a diesel is not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

What other maintenance is really required? Serious question.
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money