Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #1

Best used DP for the money?

Looking at moving up to our first DP or maybe even a Super C. Want to stay under 100k so we are looking at used coaches over 37'. What years motors are better then other years? Cat or Cummins engines? What to look for and what to stay clear of? We've had 5 Gas RV's but never a DP so any other advice would be great.
SuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #2

We shopped for about a year. Decided that we wanted a Newmar Dutch Star or a Tiffin Phaeton. I had a smaller budget so ended up with an older coach. I would not want anything newer than 2008. Ours is on a Freightliner chassis, which seems to be a good one. I understand the Spartan chassis has issues with the ball joints for some years. Ours has a CAT engine which has proven to be OK. We have put about 12K miles on it. I did replace the tires, batteries, carpet, radiator and all engine hoses. I also had the leveling system serviced to insure all was correct. Ours is much older than what you will be looking at. I set aside monies for repairs etc, when we made the purchase.

Just my opinion. Others will be different.
Make sure the floor plan works well for your needs.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
My personal experience is only with Cummins. More power is better so I would look for at least and ISC or better an ISL. Starting in '04 I think the fuel injection system was improved to the common rail style. Before that the system sometimes has lift pump issues. The years before EGR and DEF pollution devices were added in about '07 or '08 have less things to cause trouble. Also in '04 I think the turbo was upgraded to the VGT design for higher and more efficient boost. So in my opinion an '04-'07 ISL would be a sweet spot and in your budget. It is also what I have so you can see what my bias is.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

The usual answer is High end coach model better cabinets and most every other detail that means dropping back a few years from lower models. At say 80k you can do very well IMHO. If you want hundreds of answers now to your question has been asked.on monthly basis. Do a search. Keep a 10 - 20% nest egg to fix and possible break down ,upgrades ect. All depending on your financials of course.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

You'll be hard pressed to find a decent Super C under 100K if you don't want a lower end coach. The are so new that the depreciation hasn't gotten there yet. That said, I think I have seen some pretty old showhaulers in that range but they were probably 15-20 years old. The advantage of them is they are built on semi chassis. You may also be able to find a Renegade in that price range that is in that age range too. The problem with Renegades is they are generally not set up to sleep many people. They seem to have been designed for race teams and thus lack some of the more refined elements you see in other coaches. Good luck and happy hunting.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

Problem with super c's is turn radius, my friend wanted one for years, bought one and sold it a year later due to turning radius.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #7

What about these Gulfstream Supernovas'?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...331-5015980008
SuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

We bought our 04 Phaeton a year and a half ago for 55K. It was our first DP and my idea was if we like it we can upgrade but it would be easy to sell if we didn't. It has a CAT which wasn't my first choice. I have always been a Cummins guy. Now, we are so happy with the rig that was built during the RV "golden years" we have invested 10K plus in upgrades and wouldn't consider trading up for a newer coach that most likely is of lesser quality and the potential problems that come with a DEF motor.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

Cat or Cummins should not be your deciding factor. Look for quality manufacturers (Newmar, Tiffin, Country Couch). Look for one that has been well maintained and they have the maintenance records to prove it. Also make sure they know what maintenance SHOULD be done. Oil and filter changes are not sufficient. Mileage on a diesel is not a big deal. I cannot recommend anything with paint checking. Hopefully one with upgrades. Then look at floor plan - one you can live with. Look very carefully for water damage.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Your best bang for the buck will be a Monaco product, 2003-2008. Monaco was the #1 RV manufacturer during those years and there are thousands to choose from.
Monaco built Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari.
Like one of the other posters said, I would look at upper end coaches with a side radiator and tag axle as they will stand the test of time. A Monaco Dynasty, Executive, or Signature will have 10 outboard air bags and 10 shocks on a custom built Roadmaster chassis. A Beaver Patriot or Marquis is also an excellent choice. The interior woodwork in a Marquis is the finest you will find at any price. A Holiday Rambler Imperial or Navigator is a great coach.

Another hidden gem is Travel Supreme. They are the predecessor to todays Entegra coach. I would recommend a Travel Supreme Select.

Allow plenty of time for your search (6-12 months).
Search nationwide, not just local.

Split up duties with your spouse. Take a clipboard, an inspection mirror, and take plenty of pictures and notes.

Regardless of Cat, Cummins, or even Detroit, ask what the engine torque rating is, not horsepower. Try to get 1000 ft lbs minimum if you tow a car, or if you travel out west.

Watch pricing as it's all over the place (as much as $50k difference on the same make/model.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #11

SuperDad, showed my husband the the Supernova as it looked like a friends rig that he told to sell 13 years ago. The same engine in a pickup requires removing the cab to work on the engine and no air ride.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Your best bang for the buck will be a Monaco product, 2003-2008. Monaco was the #1 RV manufacturer during those years and there are thousands to choose from.
Monaco built Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari.
Like one of the other posters said, I would look at upper end coaches with a side radiator and tag axle as they will stand the test of time. A Monaco Dynasty, Executive, or Signature will have 10 outboard air bags and 10 shocks on a custom built Roadmaster chassis. A Beaver Patriot or Marquis is also an excellent choice. The interior woodwork in a Marquis is the finest you will find at any price. A Holiday Rambler Imperial or Navigator is a great coach.

Another hidden gem is Travel Supreme. They are the predecessor to todays Entegra coach. I would recommend a Travel Supreme Select.

Allow plenty of time for your search (6-12 months).
Search nationwide, not just local.

Split up duties with your spouse. Take a clipboard, an inspection mirror, and take plenty of pictures and notes.

Regardless of Cat, Cummins, or even Detroit, ask what the engine torque rating is, not horsepower. Try to get 1000 ft lbs minimum if you tow a car, or if you travel out west.

Watch pricing as it's all over the place (as much as $50k difference on the same make/model.
Best of luck!
I can agree with some of this but certainly not all of it.

Good deals come and go quickly. Search until you get a handle on value, can recognize a good deal and have narrowed down your requirements. It doesn't need to take a year or even 6 months.

There is life after Monaco. They produced and excellent product. That said there is something to be said to buy a brand that is still in business. Not a deal breaker but I enjoy being able to go to the Tiffin store for certain parts.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #13

In your search, make the interior and floor plan your priority. You will be "Living" in it far more than you will be driving it. To me, it wouldn't matter if it was Cummins or Cat as I have had both with good results. They are both good power plants and service is available anywhere. Often, the Cummins service center is also a Cat center. They both will have the appropriate Allison transmission for the power of the engine. 380 HP and up will get you the torque needed for the coach. A good rule is to have 1 HP per 100# of loaded weight. A 40,000# coach with 400 hp will be fine. Yes, 500hp is better, but not needed. If you get the floor plan and interior that you and your wife agree on, you will both be Happy Campers.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
SuperCs really didnt become common until 2010-2014.. You will be spending a lot for one.

Like Vito said, spend some time on looking for a Monaco/HR on a Roadmaster RR8S (side radiator) or RR8R (rear rad) and you wont be sorry.

It took me 3 yrs to find mine.
Chassis for Tag axle Monacos/HRs are RR10*
Dual outboard airbags per wheel.

Good forum - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/

Tags
money