Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Best water softener

I'm looking to buy a water softener for my Newmar mh. Ive had to fix my faucets several times due to hard water.
Dmduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #2

I found a possible low cost work around if you're interested...

I just installed this on the incoming PEX pipe in my RV. I have no idea if it really works but from what I've read, it's possible I suppose.

Electronic Descaler

Here's a link to my ad free article about installation. Water - Scale Reducer...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #3

Buy ANY Brand of portable water softener that is ON SALE
That is the Best one as they all use resin beads, then salt to regen etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Buy ANY Brand of portable water softener that is ON SALE
That is the Best one as they all use resin beads, then salt to regen etc
True Some are easier to regenerate some have good pre filters some have pre-filters with expensive filter cartilages
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

A lot main portable brand units look nearly the same to me, some have different color tanks. The smaller the unit/ the harder the water, the more often it will need to be regenerated .
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

on the go water softener. almost 6 years of use and very happy with it. we have a whole house water filter with a carbon filter set up between the park water and softener
Old 09-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I use the On The Go portable water softener. They make several sizes. I started with the 8000 grain and now have the 16,000 grain installed in the wet bay.
https://www.amazon.com/Go-OTG4-DBLSO...2866272&sr=8-8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Softener On the go installed.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	344555  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

I just installed this on the incoming PEX pipe in my RV. I have no idea if it really works but from what I've read, it's possible I suppose.

Electronic Descaler

Here's a link to my ad free article about installation. Water - Scale Reducer...
Jim thats interesting as there are other units such as EDDY and Scalesweeper that are 100's times more in cost and people are saying they are getting results

greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #9

None of them work...
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

Electronic Descaler

I worked in industrial refrigeration, and we supplied evaporative condensers and cooling towers which required water treatment to prevent scaling. There were several electronic and magnetic treatment devices on the market. Most did not work very well if at all. Most fall into the classification of "snake oil".

Ken
Old 10-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I worked in industrial refrigeration, and we supplied evaporative condensers and cooling towers which required water treatment to prevent scaling. There were several electronic and magnetic treatment devices on the market. Most did not work very well if at all. Most fall into the classification of "snake oil".

Ken
Since I didn't find any ads for the devices where it was tested in an independent lab (except one), it's just guess work. I couldn't find any such documents so I'm doing some field testing. And at under $20, worth it if it works. Only out $20 if it doesn't. I'm of the opinion that it might work better in a low use situation, like an RV, and not work well in a high use situation...like a roof mounted swamp cooler for a huge building.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I will suggest that the "On The Go" unit is popular and I see a lot of them. I recently bought the 15000 grain model, called their Double Standard size. I was surprised at the weight of it, before I added water. It's very heavy. I know I will get lazy and not use it if I have to haul it out each time I connect it. Consequently, I intend to mount it in the coach and plumb water to it and back to the wet bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

Weve been on the road for almost six years as full timers. Clean fresh water was the first item and at the top of our list from day one. Keeping our water supplying equipment, faucets, water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, and so forth from scaling was also important. Moving water filters and a softer, in and out of a compartment, due to weight, was also at the top of the list.

So, we decided on the on-the-go 1600 gram water softener to take care of our water along with some in-line water filters. We also decided to plumb the whole system into one of our bays to keep from having to move the setup in and out every time we moved. Its worked awesome over the time its been installed. We can change filters without any issues as well as performing a regeneration and back flush without taking the water softener out of the bay.

I would recommend this type of a setup for the clean soft water and convenience and ease of use. Good Luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php 2.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	345225  
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:27 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Weve been on the road for almost six years as full timers. Clean fresh water was the first item and at the top of our list from day one. Keeping our water supplying equipment, faucets, water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, and so forth from scaling was also important. Moving water filters and a softer, in and out of a compartment, due to weight, was also at the top of the list.

So, we decided on the on-the-go 1600 gram water softener to take care of our water along with some in-line water filters. We also decided to plumb the whole system into one of our bays to keep from having to move the setup in and out every time we moved. Its worked awesome over the time its been installed. We can change filters without any issues as well as performing a regeneration and back flush without taking the water softener out of the bay.

I would recommend this type of a setup for the clean soft water and convenience and ease of use. Good Luck!!

Nice setup. I saved the photo for future reference when I install mine. I don't want to be lugging this stuff around, so I will do the same. Thanks
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water