RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Best Wax/Polish and Gutter Extenders

Looking for recommendations for the best Wax/Polish for a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE Class A Motorhome, and if it is better to hand wax or use a power buffer. Also, best gutter extenders. Thanks for any help you may have.
ascdds is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hand polish. The best thing out there, IMHO, after 13 years of using it is ProtectAll liquid wax. Spray it on and wipe it off. I use Turtle Wax Ice car wash first.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use the same thing I use on the tow vehicle. NuFinish or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I use ProtectAll spray on lights, plastic trim, etc. It's easy on and easy off...thus it does not last as long as the two mentioned above.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

Gutter extenders

Had time finding ones to fit my Storm till I read here to use clothes pin. I clip one on each side, works great stays on during drive. Replace every so often with new. Cheap, no drilling works great
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Here is a thread that you can reference and in post 20 you'll find links to other related threads and some of my detailing pontifications.... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wash...ng-384879.html

But in short......

How much time and care do you put into your cars' finish?

How much time and effort are you willing to put into your RVs finish, including how much time are you willing to take to just wash it so you don't muck up the paint by washing / drying it?

Waxes and sealants are "finishes" and a "buffer" does nothing other than the large pad may make it easier to apply. Sealants are simply a more practical finish for an RV vs. a carnuba wax.

A polish does "paint correction" i.e. removes surface imperfections such as scratches, micro scratches / swirl marks / holograms. Unless you are trying to preserve some valuable collector car with old single stage paint, a "buffer" is pretty much necessary - for a novice / general hobbyist a dual action orbital is the most appropriate, while a direct drive rotary is for pros only. There are machines in between, but not going there now.

A wax or sealant is applied after polishing.

There are cleaner waxes / sealants that have a very mild polishing properties.

When it gets down to it, it's more about the time and effort you take than what product you use, until you get really serious about paint care............

Enough for now.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

Here is a link to the previous 400+ threads for your question, but you can follow the link in the previous thread and have what you need and this search link can provide alternatives.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22w...=14&gws_rd=ssl
Old 05-31-2018, 01:20 AM   #7

How about one that actually 'prevents' the black streaks?

I mean once the finish is clean and waxed no more streaks.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:06 AM   #8

How does the clip on closepin work a a rain gutter extension?.It 6 in the morning here and I am sure I am missing something thank.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:11 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Rejex and hand apply, wipe off.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
How does the clip on closepin work a a rain gutter extension?.It 6 in the morning here and I am sure I am missing something thank.

I think maybe they are clipping the extenders on with the clothes pins.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #11

Gutter extenders

On my Storm I have short gutters. I use the clothes pin with spring and clip it onto the gutter so it is pointing straight out. The water will follow the clothes pin out away from the RV . Until I did this, I use to get water drain all down the side. This gets the drip away from the sides. Again strange but works great and easy to just swap when they get old and cost effective. Found a link to a picture of what it looks like

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-con...lothespin1.jpg
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Rejex and hand apply, wipe off.
This didn't get enough attention. I bought Rejex after some random comment on this forum a few weeks ago, could have been this one. I finally got around to applying it. Keep in mind I wash my RV regularly, but a few days in the heat had the bugs baked into the front cap and windshield. I spent hours with a magic eraser on my windshield, and buffing bug guts off my cap.

Finally applied Rejex by hand and wiped it off by hand. This step took only about 45 minutes (for the whole front, the side mirrors and the side windows). I did the full front windshield as well.

My first test today, driving through Minnesota. Bug guts galore all over the front. 5 hours in the heat. Arrived at my destination, pulled out a bucket, filled it with some water, took my lambs wool mitt and pole and spent 5-10 minutes wiping off the front of the coach. Everything came off with almost no effort, would say it is 99% back to being clean.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Used clothes pins for years. White plastic ones work and look fine.
bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #14

for an experiment....take a stick and a clothespin and clamp the stick to the gutter extension, inside where the water would be running from, and when it rains, watch where the water goes....then you'll know.....and I'd never use a buffer....if you have a oxidized surface, I'd use a clay cloth, available at any auto paint store, and water to prep the surface, then apply Nu-Finish by hand.....but, most folks don't want to make the effort to do anything manual.....if you use a car wash soap to wash with, the Nu- Finish will last a year or more......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote