Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best way to clean black mold off a roof

New to us 09 Tour....took a look at the fiberglass roof and lots of little black mold dots on it...so looking for best way to clean the roof and keep it that way.
Thanks for your advice...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends on what your roof material is I have aluminum roof with fiberglass siding.
I used, http://d2ul0w83gls0j4.cloudfront.net...600/965375.jpg
goes on the end of garden hose spray on wait a few minutes then rinse and it works great.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

I do not want to put anything on my roof that I would not put on my paint, because you will get some run off, even if you have gutters. I don't know what some people use on thier roofs, but I've seen some awful run off staining, and it's more than just from roof oxidation.

I hate heights and really don't like being on the roof of the coach one bit...... The first time I thought I would use my automotive car wash and a pad on my extension handle, but it was just way too slick for my comfort..... I ended that session very quickly.........

New method is using several foam rubber pads I move around on, sit or kneel on one, then move the other 2 as needed to get around. When I did my first heavy scrub down of the roof on our coach about 8 months after we got it, I played Cinderella, took a bucket up on the roof with clean water, and a bottle that my wife makes up that contains baking soda and peroxide. I simply scrubbed down a small area at a time, then wiped it clean with a damp "rinse" cloth. Just work roughly a 2'x2' section at a time. Took about 3 or 4 hours, but came out very nice. (Required quite a few bucket rinse outs and fresh water refills).

Since then, I have just rinsed it off with water a couple times (standing at the back near the ladder on my pads, and just spraying it with a hose), and then recently did a hands and knees wipe down with a very diluted all natural cleaner, and it looks fine. I do need to clean up the dicor a bit when I decide to get serious on the roof again.

Another safety idea is to work with your slides and awing out........

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For good footing I wear those vibram 5 finger shoes. As for washing the tops I used a car wash and added just a capful of bleach to the 5 gallon bucket when full of soap water solution.
Those shoes really gripped that fiberglass roof. I felt more like I could tumble over being top heavy than slipping.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Here is what I found that worked very well: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/roof-black-mold-and-algae-250830.html
And yes, you will have to wash the entire coach when finished with the roof.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Whatever RV we owned, I always added a few oz bleach to the 5G bucket of water+car wash soap. It always removed/killed all mold and mildew on the coach, its roof, and awnings. I usually wash the entire RV 4-5 X a year.
I always rinsed thoroughly after washing every 1--15' of roof or sides to prevent streaking or-well, bleaching of the paint or awnings.
DW never has noticed I'm using out of her laundry bleach bottle_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #7

On mine I used scrubing bubbles cleaner with the wifes Velcro type mop head. Cleaned and rinsed and got the black spots off along with a lot of white powder.
I let dry and put 5 very thin coats of zep commercial floor wax. As I added layers it seemed to soak in. First coat looked blotchy but was all shinny by the 5th coat. Im on year 2 and the roof looks like the day I did it and I get no white steaks down the side when it rains.
The cleaning head was like a fine scotch brite and I used a cloth head for the wax.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof