Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Best way to deal with fogged windows

Class A Fleetwood with all the windows fogged. I bought the 2007 used for a good price knowing they needed repair/replaced. Looking at options of replace, repaired thru Suncoast. Suncoast has a lifetime warranty. Replacement not sure. I also see many choosing "laminated" instead of dual pane. Needing advice or experiences.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
Class A Fleetwood with all the windows fogged. I bought the 2007 used for a good price knowing they needed repair/replaced. Looking at options of replace, repaired thru Suncoast. Suncoast has a lifetime warranty. Replacement not sure. I also see many choosing "laminated" instead of dual pane. Needing advice or experiences.
I had all my windows resealed by Dave Root in Bend, Or. You can get the kit from him to repair your own windows, or have Suncoast reseal.
https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had one of mine replaced in Coburg OR by RV Glass Solutions last year. It couldn't be repaired as it's frameless window in the door and it always breaks if they try and remove it. They have done enough to know so they just break it. Cost was $560 out the door.
Looked great but my one complaint was that when finished the rig was parked near the street, unlocked, with the ignition keys in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a local guy who charges about $200.00 a window. It seems like there are places popping up over the last couple of years who do this type of repair.

Look locally and see if you can get a deal on doing all of them. When you take them out, make sure the openings are trimmed out large enough so that you're not forcing them back in. This can be a cause of failure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

We had all the windows repaired in our last motorhome at Suncoast Designers. I believe that their "repaired windows" are actually better than new ones. New windows have a vacuum between the two panes of glass which puts stress on the seals around the edges. Suncoast actually puts an inert gas in between the panes, so there is no stress on the seals. We had excellent results with our repaired windows, and never had another problem after that.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Thanks for feedback

Thanks for the insight and experiences.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did 3 windows myself, here's a post I did describing the work.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/dont...ng-246255.html

Not a bad job, if you are somewhat handy it is definitely a DIY project.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had 10 windows done on our Bounder at RV FogDoctor in Searcy Arkansas for about $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2008 Bounder 38S
Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Laminated glass refers to the type used in windshields, aka safety glass. The laminations prevent it from shattering into flying pieces when struck. Dual pane is simply two layers of glass with an air space in between for insulation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

I own an auto glass company and will not repair the dual pane RV windows because we are not equipped to do so. Anyone can take the windows apart, clean the glass, and apply new seals and urethane. However, this repair will not last unless the company that repairs the glass has the proper equipment to create a vacuum between the two panes and replace the air with an inert gas. If you simply put the window back together with air between the two panels they will fog up very quickly. Air holds moisture and as soon as the glass gets hot it will produce water vapor which will fog the panes. This is what caused the problem in the first place. The older seals began to leak and introduce air into the area between the panes. As stated in one of the posts above, the vacuum also helps to pressure seal the panes to allow the inert gas to stay in while keeping the evil air out.
coachmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I had the front drivers and passenger side windows done at the RVFogDr in September '16. They have a very clean and nice facility that performs body repair too with a full size paint booth to accommodate 40+ foot rig. They use a special decadent material in the seal to help with moisture being they do not put a vacuum on it or use a special gas. They told me I could see some spotting possibly and the decadent would take care of it and I did, and it did. After washing one day about two weeks later I noticed while drying that it had a moisture spot appear on the inside of the outside glass about the size of a baseball. The glass must of been warm and the cool water hitting it must of caused it, it disappeared in about 30min. and I never had it happen since. My over all experience was mixed, there was an issue that came up that we negotiated thru. Admittedly they had lost a couple of skilled workers and seemed to struggle a little. Overall I would give them a 7 out of 10.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

Maddog, not sure where you are located, but RV Glass Repair in Greensboro NC did a good job for me.

You can take them the entire coach, or to save money pull the windows and they will repair.

L.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Maddog, not sure where you are located, but RV Glass Repair in Greensboro NC did a good job for me.

You can take them the entire coach, or to save money pull the windows and they will repair.

L.

You can ship your widows to RvFogDr also.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
window