Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2022, 06:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Squared View Post

I didn't set out to intentionally scam the system out of my so valuable registration money to them.... I tried to sort it out when I bought it and it became a headache. IMHO the government already gets way too of my money every year, so if I can save a little in the end good for me. If I have to pay more then the lesson is on me as well.
But you did scam the system. You illegally drove a vehicle for 7 years, not paying your fair share that we end up paying. You committed fraud. You photocopied and edited dealer temp plates repeatedly. Everything you did was an attempt to defraud the system.
I wonder how suddenly it will not be a problem for the next buyer when you stated that "it became too much of a headache" for you to get it registered.
Now you and others are stating how to completely scam the system by going to another state, or screw the buyer as title is all thats required for a sale. Read the thread, its illegal to kite a title. I bought a vehicle like that and the seller had to pay big bucks for his indiscretion.
Winger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm sure interested in how you used the RV for seven years without registering it! What did you put on for plates?

The correct answer is:

California will probably want registration fees paid up to the current date to allow registration in CA.

AZ may not care, I don't know.

You may want to check to see if you can register it in AZ, and do that, then sell it as it is in AZ where the buyer can pick it up in CA if they wish.

But how have you been driving a vehicle for seven years without plates?
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
But how have you been driving a vehicle for seven years without plates?
Per his original post he kept copying and modifying the original temporary tag - aka fraud.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #32

You asked for best way, the best way is to take your checkbook in and tell the DMV what you did and get ready to pay up all penalties, fees and past registration that is due. Being the nice people that they are, they would probably much rather just have the money than have any charges filled.
Have you been paying your personal property tax on the unit? Value wise, it may be time to salvage it.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
Registering non-operating is fine for owners “as you go”. Can you do it retroactively (as in the buyer of this MH)?

On the bike, I paid the sales tax when I bought it new in another state. I had a receipt. California wanted me to pay CALIFORNIA SALES TAX on a four year old purchase.

California doesn’t have a great program on anything. I left that crap-hole in 1989 and would never live there under any circumstances again.
The first part was for you, not the op. You posted......I bought a 1965 Chevy truck in Cali in 1988. it had not been registered in years, but I had all of the bills of sale back to the original title/registration except one. California first wanted taxes for every year, then told me that I couldn't register it without that missing bill of sale.

If you had registered when you bought it, non op, there is no going back years hassle. You can buy a vehicle, register it non op and let it sit in your garage for as long as you want

As for your 4 year old bike, everytime you buy a new or used vehicle, you pay sales tax. Had you proven, it was registered in another state, you would not have had an issue.
I know your post was really an opportunity to slam California. But experience is knowledge. I have bought and sold over 80 vehicles when I lived in CA and never had any dramatic issue. If you have your paperwork in order, you are fine. If you do not, thats on you. Just like this MH issue is on the OP
Old 04-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #34

I agree with the PO. Some states make it so hard to register things screw them. Standing in line for hours or being on hold for hours is not ok. I would gladly withhold anything I could from California if they made things difficult.

In order to sell it, you don’t need to prove it was registered. You don’t even need to register it now to sell it. All you need to do is pay the loan off and transfer the title. The bank has the title and they have had it the whole time. Once they are satisfied it will be released free and clear.

Just because you bought it and own it, doesn’t mean you need to register it. Think of all the people that bought classic cars on speculation they would appreciate. They are time capsules never registered.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For those that feel the need to bash California that's fine, but at least base your rants on facts.

Anyone can make an appointment at a California DMV office for driver's license and registration issues, so this standing in line complaint is nonsense.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:28 PM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The non-op registration has to be done in advance. Both California and Arizona and any other place you take it are going to want the registration fees, taxes, interest, fines and anything else you accrued by not registering it. The seller is always responsible for the registration at sale. The buyer can cover the cost for you if that’s part of your deal, but the seller is still responsible for it. Even if the buyer agrees to cover the cost, any fines are coming your way as the seller. If they catch you in the meantime, add impound fees. Arizona is probably even more sensitive to unregistered vehicles than California. They’ve been cracking down on it for several years. No, you aren’t a bad person for not registering your vehicle, but you don’t get the excuse that it was too hard to figure out either. You’re going to end up paying your fair share like the rest of us, and you’ll be paying the state a bonus for not doing it on time. Just head down there with whatever paperwork you’ve got and they’ll straighten you out. Bring a checkbook.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
For those that feel the need to bash California that's fine, but at least base your rants on facts.

Anyone can make an appointment at a California DMV office for driver's license and registration issues, so this standing in line complaint is nonsense.
You either live in a rural area or haven't been to a CA DMV in a populated area in a while. It's is the worst run organization in CA.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #38

I’m CA resident:
To the OP, I’m sure you wish you had registered it years ago in either AZ or CA.
Now,… it’s going to be a hard sell in CA to convince the DMV to forgo registration and late fees.
Especially since you do not have supporting documents. By those I mean, proof the RV has not set a tire across state lines. Also in CA you need to transfer ownership in 10 days of purchase or crossing state lines.
If,… (big if) you never drove it in CA, and you have proof the RV was in another state the entire time, you might be able to get CA registration. Good luck.
D Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #39

If you have an address in Arizona then the the I would start by paying off the loan and have the title sent to that address. There's a title service with offices all over AZ called Footework, they can handle all aspects of what you need done and they're open Saturdays. You can get your registration caught up and they will send the plate and tag to your AZ address. In AZ you have to pay and extra $10.00 for a paper title, and if you're selling out of state you will need that. If you don't bring the registration current you will probably have to discount the price for more that the registration costs. If you don't have a title in hand, well, good luck finding a buyer, most serious buyers won't even want to talk to you about it.

If you want to game the system that's your business, but if you take care of it now it will definitely make things easier for you when you find a buyer and you'll get a better price. Just think of it as another form of maintenance.
Iminocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:16 AM   #40

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
The first part was for you, not the op. You posted......I bought a 1965 Chevy truck in Cali in 1988. it had not been registered in years, but I had all of the bills of sale back to the original title/registration except one. California first wanted taxes for every year, then told me that I couldn't register it without that missing bill of sale.

If you had registered when you bought it, non op, there is no going back years hassle. You can buy a vehicle, register it non op and let it sit in your garage for as long as you want

As for your 4 year old bike, everytime you buy a new or used vehicle, you pay sales tax. Had you proven, it was registered in another state, you would not have had an issue.
I know your post was really an opportunity to slam California. But experience is knowledge. I have bought and sold over 80 vehicles when I lived in CA and never had any dramatic issue. If you have your paperwork in order, you are fine. If you do not, thats on you. Just like this MH issue is on the OP
You still missed my whole point in your condescension…
I bought a vehicle that had not been registered for years. California wanted every single unregistered year paid for in order to make it current. As it was not mine for those years, I was not able (or given the option) to declare in inoperable or not on the road.
The motorcycle was a dirt bike as specified. In 1986, no other state that I know of registered off-road bikes, certainly not any that I have ever lived in. I paid the sales tax when I bought the bike in another state.
If you have truly bought and sold dozens of vehicles in California, you would understand what I was posting about.
California has and continues to bilk and steal every single dime that it can from people. The OP did the wrong thing, however he won’t be the one that gets screwed by this. The new buyer will, which is the reason that I related my California stories.
This forum is full of “smarter than you” posters that are extremely condescending, critical, and self-centered. You’re not the first know-it-all that I’ve encountered. Since I was not polite and you’re probably butt-hurt now, I will get a note from a mod, the post will be deleted, and maybe I’ll get suspended.
At least I’m honest.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:09 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
You still missed my whole point in your condescension…
I bought a vehicle that had not been registered for years. California wanted every single unregistered year paid for in order to make it current. As it was not mine for those years, I was not able (or given the option) to declare in inoperable or not on the road.
The motorcycle was a dirt bike as specified. In 1986, no other state that I know of registered off-road bikes, certainly not any that I have ever lived in. I paid the sales tax when I bought the bike in another state.
If you have truly bought and sold dozens of vehicles in California, you would understand what I was posting about.
California has and continues to bilk and steal every single dime that it can from people. The OP did the wrong thing, however he won’t be the one that gets screwed by this. The new buyer will, which is the reason that I related my California stories.
This forum is full of “smarter than you” posters that are extremely condescending, critical, and self-centered. You’re not the first know-it-all that I’ve encountered. Since I was not polite and you’re probably butt-hurt now, I will get a note from a mod, the post will be deleted, and maybe I’ll get suspended.
At least I’m honest.
Trust me, I do not get butt hurt from an uninformed poster. If you never registered your "dirt bike" and suddenly want to, have to, whatever, you owe the tax. If you bought it new and HAD a receipt, there would be no issue. You show the receipt and voila but if you bought used and go to register it, YOU have to pay the sales tax. Now if you were foolish enough to not show a receipt for a new bike, thats on you.
BTW, the new buyer will not get screwed. The law is the transfer must have a clean title. The title is not clean. There will be fines, penalties and the whopper of a mileage discrepancy. Oh and the mileage discrepancy is both a state and federal law. The original purchase will say one amount and the current sale will say another.
This line, again shows your attitude towards CA and the law.."California has and continues to bilk and steal every single dime that it can from people"
There is a difference between someone being highly experienced at something as am and a know nothing know it all that has left CA in 1989. Especially one that has claimed......."I left that crap-hole in 1989 and would never live there under any circumstances again" A know it all is someone who has not lived in a state for 31 years but knows more then people who have.
Have a great day, I will
Old 04-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #42

It is all about the title as mentioned earlier. A properly signed and paid off title is the important part. Registration has nothing to do with the title, Registration is for plates, taxes, sales tax, etc.

Have the title sent to your current address. When the RV is sold make sure you read all the fine print on the title for signatures, notary, etc. The buyer then can get a temp tag to drive the RV without paying any taxes, etc. Typically under 10 bucks.

Example: In September 2021 I bought a RV from a guy in Phoenix. He never registered the RV in AZ (it had been in AZ about 2 years). It had Oklahoma plates and title. Plates and registration were out of date. I felt a bit nervous but after some investigation I bought it, went to a local DMV where I was in AZ, explained the situation, they looked at the title and for under 10 bucks gave me a 30 day temp tag. No fees of any kind other than the temp tag fee were applied.

I registered the RV in Colorado and paid all appropriate fees there.

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell