Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #57

I found this interesting:

Beware... California will require the "buyer" to pay all past due registration fees. It is the buyer's responsibility to bring vehicle registration current, as far as the DMV is concerned. The seller, in this case, can easily argue that you knew and agreed to paying past due registration fees, and this was part of your agreement in purchasing the car. The DMV will not transfer the title to your name until you pay all due registration fees. Push comes to shove.... You'll end up in small claims court trying to recover the money you spent on past due vehicle registration fees and late fees; which for 5 years, could have amounted to several hundred dollars.

I checked other states with similar results. Looks like someone is going to pay the past registrations. After the seller signs the title over to the buyer and gives a BOS, the buyer is stuck with the past registrations and fees. If the OP can find an unknowing buyer, he can pass his responsibility on.

Buyer Beware
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2022, 07:48 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I found this interesting:

Beware... California will require the "buyer" to pay all past due registration fees. It is the buyer's responsibility to bring vehicle registration current, as far as the DMV is concerned. The seller, in this case, can easily argue that you knew and agreed to paying past due registration fees, and this was part of your agreement in purchasing the car. The DMV will not transfer the title to your name until you pay all due registration fees. Push comes to shove.... You'll end up in small claims court trying to recover the money you spent on past due vehicle registration fees and late fees; which for 5 years, could have amounted to several hundred dollars.

I checked other states with similar results. Looks like someone is going to pay the past registrations. After the seller signs the title over to the buyer and gives a BOS, the buyer is stuck with the past registrations and fees. If the OP can find an unknowing buyer, he can pass his responsibility on.

Buyer Beware
That only applies if California was the holder of the title. Arizona is, and California has no idea what Arizona registration history is, nor is it relevant.

Many states offer permanent registration.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another interesting thread. After 5 pages and 57 responses the first answer, post #2, was the correct one. The lender holds the title not AZ or CA.

The LEO that accepted the OP's temporary UNDATED license dropped the ball regarding any delinquent registration fees. The only other way he might have been caught is if a neighbor reported his unlicensed vehicle being operated on a public road.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Z Squared....Is the motorhome gas or diesel?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #61

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Past registration is irrelevant.
In some cases, in CA it is not irrelevant! If the (old) registration was in CA, then they want intervening years paid up usually.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
In some cases, in CA it is not irrelevant! If the (old) registration was in CA, then they want intervening years paid up usually.
It has been pointed out several times in this thread - the RV was never registered in Cali, even as the owner lived there. It has an Arizona title.

Past registrations (or lack of) are no bearing on this sale.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #63

As I read through the OP's questions and researched a bit, I agree that the title and registration have two different requirements. IMO, the simplest way for the OP to sell it is to get a clear title by paying off the loan using the AZ address he referred to. Now it looks like he can sell it free and clear to anyone. If the buyer accepts the signed title and bill of sale and signs a liability waiver, the seller is home free. The new owner may or may not be liable for past unpaid registration fees depending on the state involved. I doubt that most states except AZ and CA will care if there are unpaid registration fees. The DMV in each state will have its correct answer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
As I read through the OP's questions and researched a bit, I agree that the title and registration have two different requirements. IMO, the simplest way for the OP to sell it is to get a clear title by paying off the loan using the AZ address he referred to. Now it looks like he can sell it free and clear to anyone. If the buyer accepts the signed title and bill of sale and signs a liability waiver, the seller is home free. The new owner may or may not be liable for past unpaid registration fees depending on the state involved. I doubt that most states except AZ and CA will care if there are unpaid registration fees. The DMV in each state will have its correct answer.
I agree.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
If he registers it anywhere, especially CA there is an odometer discrepancy, if selling.
I have dealt with the CA DMV, NY DMV, AZ DMV and FL DMV. When a vehicle is sold, its Federal law to state the odometer reading. When he bought it was noted. When he transfers a vehicle that was never registered, and notes the current odometer reading, there will be an issue. I have had to have vehicles verified in both CA and AZ. They look at the mileage. But don't let me ruin the posted info, I mean experience, just in one state with over 80 vehicles, means nothing on a forum.
Dude, give it a rest.
Your morality standard is well documented, yet ignored as irrelevant, your "facts" have been disputed by a number of posters, and you still either can't read or comprehend the posts that you comment on!
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell