Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There are certain advantages to owning a DP, however, lower overall cost of ownership is not one of them. You will get better fuel economy, but your purchase cost and maintenance will be higher than a gasser would be. Just be sure to set aside a larger "What If" fund.
I second Crasher. DPs the size you want are few and far between. It will most certainly cost MUCH more than the '91 gasser you are looking at and may have hidden maintenance issues that will cost a lot more than anything you may find on the cherry gasser you are looking at.

If it were me I would go for the gasser. If you are planning on driving it many miles in the short term consider getting a gear vendors auxiliary transmission. The overdrive will give you closer to 7 MPG. That plus the reduced maintenance costs over a diesel will make it a better deal especially if you have to pay someone to do the maintenance.

However, if you drive it less than ~10,000 miles per year just drive it. The fuel costs are relatively small compared with the cost of maintaining a diesel or doing things to the gasser to improve its fuel economy.

By the way, you haven't responded on the transmission that is in the '91. If it has an overdrive transmission already it should get 6.5-7 MPG if you drive in the 60-65 MPH range. If it has an overdrive transmission the gear vendors will not help fuel economy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GTL3,

I've done some research for you. Attached you will find a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) decoder. If you can get the VIN you can determine the Year of the Chassis, whether it has a carburetor or a TBI injection and transmission type.

If it is a 1991 chassis, Note: some 1991 motorhomes were built on 1990 chassis, it should have the TBI engine and the 4L80E transmission. If the current owner has been getting 4-5 MPG it is almost certain he was driving 70-75 MPH. That is way too fast for that motorhome. Driving 62 MPH like many of us motorhome owners do you should get ~ 6.5 MPG.

If you should buy the motorhome here is a handy document for you whether you do maintenance yourself or hire it done. Click HERE to download a maintenance manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P30 Vin Decoder.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	348464  
Old 11-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to jump in here, I love my "new to me" 2004 Pace Arrow 37c gasser.
When I pull 8k (24' car hauler and show car) here in Colorado, I get 6-7 MPG.

When I haul my dirt bike on a rail, I get 8-9 MPG. I usually cruise about 65, though on level ground, which is rare in Colorado, she loves to sneak up to 70.

Were I to even consider a diesel, it would have to be "pre DEF" as I've read way too many horror stories on the forums about folks being stranded on the road with engines shut down due to DEF issues, and vacations ruined.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Just to jump in here, I love my "new to me" 2004 Pace Arrow 37c gasser.
When I pull 8k (24' car hauler and show car) here in Colorado, I get 6-7 MPG.

When I haul my dirt bike on a rail, I get 8-9 MPG. I usually cruise about 65, though on level ground, which is rare in Colorado, she loves to sneak up to 70.

Were I to even consider a diesel, it would have to be "pre DEF" as I've read way too many horror stories on the forums about folks being stranded on the road with engines shut down due to DEF issues, and vacations ruined.

Mike in Colorado
It always amazes me how some people, myself included, are so against diesels that use def. The truth, I believe, is that for every unit that has def problems, there are thousands out there running just fine. Will they have a problem? Maybe so, but things can and do go haywire.

I will be buying a late model diesel motor home very soon and when there’s a permanent fix to this def problem, I’ll be in line to get it upgraded. Until then, I won’t be losing sleep over it. You see, I’ve been on both sides where I was concerned about breakdowns. Before we started towing with our new Ford F350, we towed with a pristine pre def F350. We towed all over the country and I actually did lie awake at night thousands of miles from home wondering what could go wrong with a vehicle 20 years old. Things like transmissions, rear axles, front end components and anything connected to the engine weakens with age.

There was a time in my life that, as I was taught by my dad, it was repairable by me, but I’m now over that. When I’m on the road, I’ll take my chances with a new or less aged vehicle. To each his own. I agree that I simply love the simplicity of yesteryear’s offering. Come visit us at our farm and you’ll see what I mean. Those large John Deere tractors with 8000 hrs are amazing.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLT3 View Post
looking at a 1991 Damon Challenger with a 454 in it, the appealing points are it only has 26000 miles, setting on new tires and is super clean inside and out, the problem is the owner says it only gets 4 to 5 mpg. I know that it should be better how much better I'm not sure, so what are some things that could be done mechanically to make it more efficient or is that a pipe dream
I had a 93 Winnebago Vectra 33' on the Chevy P30 chassis with the 454 non fuel injected engine. If you drive it on flat ground going downhill to the coast and no faster than 55MPH you might get 7MPG. At todays normal highway speeds of 65+ you will be lucky to get 4 to 5MPG.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #34

Cost versus benefits

Quote:
looking at a 1991 Damon Challenger with a 454 in it, the appealing points are it only has 26000 miles, setting on new tires and is super clean inside and out, the problem is the owner says it only gets 4 to 5 mpg. I know that it should be better how much better I'm not sure, so what are some things that could be done mechanically to make it more efficient or is that a pipe dream
I have a 1996 Dolphin 454 chev.34 ft. I get around 6mph per gallon. The cheapest of course is have a tune up. Then add a vacumn gauge. even if you have a automatic it pays to be in the correct gear according to the vacumn highest level. It may seem odd by down shifting and raising the rpm, actually you are putting less load on the engine. It may not sound like much but 1-2 mpg benefit adds up. I stay at 60mph or lower. In the mountain the vac will not help, just try to stay in a reasonable rpm. I tow a honda car so mine is lower then a non tow. Earlier I added a banks system for the power increase in the mountains. I also added a electric two speed trans. Those two modificaton really helped me in the mountains. I put both on myself and saved on labor. If your not electrical /mechanically inclined. Don't temp to do it yourself. The electrical on two speed can get interesting. Althou the mfg was on the phone with me when I splice into the computer wiring. If nothing else a vacumn guage for the money is a cheap and easy investment
Gordeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #35

Better mileage

I have had a carburetor 454, and now own a TBI 454. They both benefitted greatly by using AC Rapid-fire spark plugs,, gaining about 2mpg on average. Nothing else needed.
Bill Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #36

Its 30 years old, and so are the pipes and hoses , seals, anything plastic, on it! Pass
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Inman View Post
I have had a carburetor 454, and now own a TBI 454. They both benefitted greatly by using AC Rapid-fire spark plugs,, gaining about 2mpg on average. Nothing else needed.
Thanks for that!
RVforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hello,
I had 2000 32foot national surfside with 454 in it that I bought in 2016. I probably got 8~10 miles per gallon depending on how fast I was going and if my tanks were full or not. It only had 30,000 miles and it was clean inside as well. However it had issues because it has not used. I found out the previous owner had modified the engine after I broke down on the highway. I sold it and bought a new 2019 Winnebago Spirit. Unless you are a mechanic, engineer or machinist there might be expensive repairs.
Aelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #39

Referring to #36's post. 30 years old plastic, hoses, etc. When I bought my '84 winnie 25' it had 44k miles. 454 c.i. carbureted. The heater quit blowing 1 day. I pulled the dash controls. When I did the plastic AC vacuum lines to the control crumbled. There were at least 6. So no AC control. Brake hoses. Air bags. Radiator. $500 to rebuild radiator- in 2009. Rebuilt lifetime Fla. carb- $249. PO replaced the stock headers which many of the stock units warp and leak. Also if there's no heat shield (like an inner fender shielding the engine compartment) on the passenger side behind the front wheel 1 should be installed. Search MH forums.
Another thing to check- Are the rear brake bleeders accessible or blocked by the springs, hangers, frame, etc. If they are and you need to bleed the rear brakes you have to drop the rear (differential) to bleed them. I liked the old Winnie but it took lots of work and I didn't drive it enough. Have fun. Drive safely. Good luck in your ventures. SamG.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I had a holiday rambler...28 foot with the 454. I was happy at the time overall with one exception, burning ignition wires at times. Eventually I put headers on it get rid of the heat, which it did....but the headers with duel pipes really upped the power and thus the fuel mileage. Good luck. (thorson headers (sp) )
Old 11-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #41

My 1989 32' southwind started out 11 years ago @ 7.5 mpg . It slowly dropped over the years down to 4.5-5 mpg. It probably needed some engine work at that point. I sold it last February, and upgraded to a newer unit.
fitzjohnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #42

The 454, and any big block from FoMoCo or Chrysler, are good motors. I would not shy away from one if it's in good mechanical order as long as the milage wasn't high. Your 4 to 5 MPG estimate stated by the PO and the 6 to 7 MPG or more by others seems off to me. I have the 454 with the 4 speed automatic and can tell you I consistently get 9+ and my last trip was 10.3. Alot of factors go into poor mileage; terrain, tire psi, temperature, headwind, your foot, etc...
On my regular trips I drive a 50/50 mix of hilly 55 MPH two lanes and 65 MPH 4 lanes that aren't flat. I drive about 5 mph over on the 55 streches and keep it under seventy on the 65 mph roads. I also try to makes the hills work for me and have never used cruise control. I'm sure the overdrive helps but 4 or 5 MPG? Uffda.
Best thing you can do is make sure the motor is tuned up and watch your foot.
I have been in a RV before where the driver either had his foot all the way on the gas or hitting the brakes hard, never did he roll up to a stop. Biggest MPG boost you'll ever get is from changing your driving habits. Good luck.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote