Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to JMerenda
Better night vision?

Hey all,

Anyone ever improved their headlights on their coach or added foglights? If so, any recommendations?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed driving lights on my third motorhome. They made a tremendous difference. The only downside was I had to dim when i met someone and it was like half the light available to see with I haven't put them on my last two motorhomes because i am retired now and don't have to drive at night.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I haven't put them on my last two motorhomes because i am retired now and don't have to drive at night.
An added benefit of retirement....I hadn't thought about that. Eight more months and I won't have to drive anymore at night either!

Joe, my MH came from the factory with aux driving lights but I found those as well as the regular headlights inadequate. I replaced the bulbs in all of them with Sylvania Silverstar's. The bulbs were very expensive, don't last very long and only marginally improved my night-time visibility.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Change your bulbs it will help some.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #5

Here are a couple of other things that reduce night vision, if you have an astigmatism (and it is not corrected), smoking, and driving at high altitudes.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #6

If you have a coach with "normal" sealed beam headlights, Hella makes replacements that use H4 halogen bulbs (with considerably higher wattage) and a european beam pattern (known as E-code) that reduces the problems with oncoming traffic.

These, and just about everything else you would want in performance lighting, is available from susquehanna motorsports at Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories.

Professional lighting for people that go waaaaay faster than RVs on forest roads at night - and decent prices too.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
If you have a coach with "normal" sealed beam headlights, Hella makes replacements that use H4 halogen bulbs (with considerably higher wattage) and a european beam pattern (known as E-code) that reduces the problems with oncoming traffic.

These, and just about everything else you would want in performance lighting, is available from susquehanna motorsports at Susquehanna MotorSports - High Performance Vehicle Lighting and Competition Accessories.

Professional lighting for people that go waaaaay faster than RVs on forest roads at night - and decent prices too.
Do they have em to fit an 07 Sightseer?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #8

Dim the instrument lights way down. I even tape over the very bright instrument lights, like the high beam indicator.
Cheapest way to improve night vision.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have found that a yellow lens sun glasses help at night.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #10

Just had my MH in for it's yearly Pa. Inspection. When I requested my appointment I aked if the garage/mechanic had headlight alignment tools and the answer was yes. Added that task to the inspection and had the opportunity to personally observe the procedure. The mechanic was great, explaining the equipment set-up and actual headlight alingment process. Both the driver and passanger side lights were mis-aligned. After approximately 20 minutes the lights were set to specs. The mechanic stated there would be a substantial improvement in night driving visability. I've yet to have my MH out after dark but expect to have see a major improvement. With the lights properly aligned I can now upgrade to H-4 bulbs if necessary. IMHO having your lights aligned first may negate the expense of new bulbs
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #11

I use Yellow clip on lenses when driving at night also. Happened one evening when I drove home from the skeet range. Now its a regular routine.
I also had my head lights reset and as mentioned above it made a big difference.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

I used to be a Owner-Operator and I agree, Dim the dash lights and I also use the yellow clip-on lenses. The way most MH are today you don't need the gauges with all of the safety and warning lights. I enjoy the fuel savings and less stress of night driving. My Kenworth had 18 gauges also all of the switches were also labeled with back lit markers! It is amazing how much heat is generated with all these bulbs! Plus a CB and stereo. It takes about 30 minutes for MY eyes to get to good vision at night. Most of the time I cut off the dash lights and use my GPS for speed (I'm on cruise anyway) When I go through a town I turn up the dash lights and check my gauges. Most towns are pretty lit up.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #13

Has anyone ever added lighting? Such has big 4x4 fog lights n such?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

As others have stated... buy some yellow sunglasses. Try them in a heavy rain also. You will be surprised at how well they work. The wrap around shooting glasses work well.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote