Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #15

By what I can barely see, that looks like Bear Creek Storage facility right off Barker Cypress. I used to store our coach there. I always pulled front in and then backed out.
Sorry this happened to you. That would of made me sick too.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have 13.6 doors in our storage area but we pull in forward and back out. I'm not good enough at backing into a tight space.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
I own a 45' motorhome, and I have over 7 years of experience driving them. However, I recently moved to a new storage garage with a very tight entry door, and I'll admit I'm not that experienced backing into such tight spaces.

I was backing in the other day, and I was going in a little crooked, so I pulled forward to straighten out. When I did, I failed to account for the tail swing, and my rear end clipped the side of the door. Even though it only hit for a couple seconds, I was shocked at the amount of damage it did.

I'm attaching pictures here (sorry if the pics are sideways, I can't figure out how to get them upright), and just wanted to give a friendly reminder to everyone to always be aware of your tail swing!

My goodness what a beautiful coach. Sorry about your troubles and thanks for the reminder on tail swing.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check a boat dealer. One of my friends got his ding repaired by a fiberglass shop that works mostly on boats.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #19

When we were buying our class A, the last thing the salesman said to us as we were ready to drive off was "watch the tail swing". That's been stuck in my head ever since. I learned about "nose swing" the hard way about a month later when backing up. I didn't see a landscape timber and the front tire kicked it up into the fiberglass and broke a good sized piece out of my front "bumper". Fortunately, I have the equipment to paint cars and managed a pretty decent DIY fiberglass repair.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same tail swing problem in my storage lot.

It looked like a solid $6,000 in damage. I took it to National Indoor RV Center in the Dallas area.

The fix came out to cost $26,000.

By the way... it's GOAL for me all the time now. Get Out And Look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	340412  
Old 08-22-2021, 05:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I had the same tail swing problem in my storage lot.

It looked like a solid $6,000 in damage. I took it to National Indoor RV Center in the Dallas area.

The fix came out to cost $26,000.

By the way... it's GOAL for me all the time now. Get Out And Look!
Yikes! I'm sorry that this happened to you and so many others, but I'll admit it does make me feel a little better that I'm not alone! I've taken mine back to Foretravel in Nacogdoches to be repaired. I haven't gotten an official estimate, but as soon as the service guy looked at it, he said "you're looking at a minimum of $20k repair cost." Ouch. I actually think it will be a lot more than that. I've filed an insurance claim, and I'm hoping they will cover most of it. On top of the RV damage, I owe the storage facility $600 for the damage I did to their door. Very costly mistake!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
By what I can barely see, that looks like Bear Creek Storage facility right off Barker Cypress. I used to store our coach there. I always pulled front in and then backed out.
Sorry this happened to you. That would of made me sick too.
You are correct. It's Bear Creek Storage. I might have to consider pulling in nose first in the future. Also, I believe their garage doors are 14' tall and my RV is 13.5' tall. The garage door slides down a bit when it's fully opened, and I have to remember to take a lynch pin to secure the pull chain in the full up position. I can see that being a future disaster if I ever forget to do that and pull in or out without clearing the garage door. So many things to be aware of!!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
You are correct. It's Bear Creek Storage. I might have to consider pulling in nose first in the future. Also, I believe their garage doors are 14' tall and my RV is 13.5' tall. The garage door slides down a bit when it's fully opened, and I have to remember to take a lynch pin to secure the pull chain in the full up position. I can see that being a future disaster if I ever forget to do that and pull in or out without clearing the garage door. So many things to be aware of!!
. There should be a V shaped metal hook next to the chain that you can slot the chain in to hold the door. It will have little horns at the tops of the V that you can hook the slack chain on which will insure it doesn't get knocked loose.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #24

Thank you.. now another nightmare to think about.. yes it's happened to me.. and it will happen again.. I may have to add 10 more cameras.. someone should invent a kit to add to tail and alarm you your too close.. if there is one.. Will someone let us know who makes one or where to get one.. I sure could use one.. sorry.. and at least no one was hurt.. good luck and keep us posted..
Old 08-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #25

Darn tail swing

So i feel your pain i had Rv parked in front of my house, went to pull away from curb, i have a tree on my right front , so i turned the wheel ever so slightly to clear it… I had not moved but maybe 2 ft my rr corner hit a raised portion of my front lawn (which is noooo longer there the $$COST$$ of repair was UNGODLY$$$ plus adding insult to injury after i got it back (3months) i had to take it back cause they left a roof support out another couple weeks for THAT REPAIR!!!
Hardest part was allowing myself to be ok making a mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	204B460D-EFAF-4AD3-895F-6D678A9AD92B.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	340485   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A5A4EC9-A44C-457F-B4C9-57C9A0ABD7AD.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	340486  

rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #26

To the OP, sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Thank you.. now another nightmare to think about.. yes it's happened to me.. and it will happen again.. I may have to add 10 more cameras.. someone should invent a kit to add to tail and alarm you your too close.. if there is one.. Will someone let us know who makes one or where to get one.. I sure could use one.. sorry.. and at least no one was hurt.. good luck and keep us posted..
There are several add-on systems that will give you 360 degree Birdseye view like this one:
https://brigade-electronics.com/en-u...ts/backeye360/

I find having a 360 degree view and visual/audible proximity sensors on my BMW invaluable in really tight spots and wish I had someone like it on my motorhome. Those systems are available on some new models.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
So i feel your pain i had Rv parked in front of my house, went to pull away from curb, i have a tree on my right front , so i turned the wheel ever so slightly to clear it… I had not moved but maybe 2 ft my rr corner hit a raised portion of my front lawn (which is noooo longer there the $$COST$$ of repair was UNGODLY$$$ plus adding insult to injury after i got it back (3months) i had to take it back cause they left a roof support out another couple weeks for THAT REPAIR!!!
Hardest part was allowing myself to be ok making a mistake.
I know what you mean! My incident happened over a week ago, and I have not been able to stop beating myself up over it. I guess as RV-ers we have to realize mistakes will happen, and forgive ourselves for being human!
Old 08-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
. There should be a V shaped metal hook next to the chain that you can slot the chain in to hold the door. It will have little horns at the tops of the V that you can hook the slack chain on which will insure it doesn't get knocked loose.
Thanks for that info. I will take a closer look next time I'm out there.