Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #29

Thank you SONIC.. that 360 system looks great.. now more wires to run.. thank you for this post.. it really a lot of great info ... seems like.. if you just barely touch anything with rv.. big damage.. more nightmare.. thanks to all for the pictures.. your experience teach us so much.. THANK YOU ALL.. sorry for the loss but invaluable teaching us just how easy it is to catch the rear end with something..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #30

Many years ago we rented a 36' Class A for a Memorial Day trip. The trip itself went really well. The day we returned it it was pouring rain and generally miserable. Windows were fogging up and the parking lot was packed.. Was paying attention to the cars off the front right and thought I had enough clearance on the drivers side rear... glanced in my mirror just in time to see the corner of the class c next to me catch just behind the rear tires and peel both coaches open like a pop can... And that is how I learned about tail swing..
DfnsMn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the rear end of a zero-turn-radius mower scrape and dent the back passenger side bay door of my unit as the driver swung it around to make another pass. Fortunately I was inside when it happened so knew exactly what happened and the campground paid to repair the damage.

I was expecting the cost to be around $500. The CHEAPEST estimate was about $1200! $20K+ sounds bad but I guess in relation to such a relatively minor repair it's not at all surprising.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
I own a 45' motorhome, and I have over 7 years of experience driving them. However, I recently moved to a new storage garage with a very tight entry door, and I'll admit I'm not that experienced backing into such tight spaces.

I was backing in the other day, and I was going in a little crooked, so I pulled forward to straighten out. When I did, I failed to account for the tail swing, and my rear end clipped the side of the door. Even though it only hit for a couple seconds, I was shocked at the amount of damage it did.

I'm attaching pictures here (sorry if the pics are sideways, I can't figure out how to get them upright), and just wanted to give a friendly reminder to everyone to always be aware of your tail swing!

Yes, I learned on my very first day that my rig has TWO ends!
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #33

Another thing to watch out for is the crown in the roadway. You could be 2’away from a curb but the top of the coach could hit signs, trees, etc. Beautiful coach by the way!!!!
The feeling in your stomach after something like this is awfu
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #34

Even worse on class A gas coaches

I have a 38ft class "A" gas coach. Tail swing is even worse on a long gas coach. Knock on wood, I have had various coaches for about 35 years and have not swung the tail into anything. Hoping to never have that experience. One piece of advice. from the description it sounds like you back into your storage unit. For the life of me I cannot understand why people do this instead of pulling in forwards. Not only for the fact that it is exponentially easier to pull in and then back out, but also for the simple reason that you also eliminate any potential of sun beating down on your dash if your storage unit is a 3 wall style like most are. Beautiful coach by the way. Hope she looks better than new when it's all fixed up.
Leszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #35

Tail swing

Happened to me as well. It’s almost like it’s about all those who have done it and all those who likely will.
I thought it would never happen to me! Turned too soon took out the top back two feet of the rear. Also took the gutter off the garage.

Cost to repair at a local RV facility was 8000. Got to Florida and got it done for 4000. 500 to repair garage. Ouch. But insurance did pay handsomely which was the good news.
Flyboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Attachment 340244

Simply open the picture in windows. It should open in a picture editor, click edit and create, then make sure the orientation is correct, and click save a copy, then upload the copy.
If using Apple iProducts, open the picture on that device, modify it in any way (crop, resize, write in it, etc.), then save the modified version.

It will then upload properly to the site.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #37

Was fortunate enough driving through WY to spot a self-serve carwash with 14' tall doors. Pulled in but could only fit half the rig in there so had to wash the front half and then the back half. Pulled out and drove down the block to the grocery store where we parked and re-supplied. Then drove another 3 blocks and parked and re-supplied at the liquor store. Came back out and this time approached the rig from the back where I learned that my hitch-mounted motorcycle carrier was now in an L shape and one motorcycle was hanging off and almost dragging on the ground.

How it didn't scrape, drag or cause anyone to honk/wave at us I have no idea. Turns out we had hit the bolster with the tail on the way out of the car-wash. Didn't feel or hear a thing. Would have been MUCH worse had we hit the tail of the RV. Some ratchet-strap engineering and some creative rigging had the motorcycle put back in place (without any damage) and we were back on our way!
Old 08-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #38

Well that sucks!
I always resist from parking in an enclosed unit unless the door is 12 feet wide. I have needs to open slides, clean and or work on the outside of the MH so I have a covered place to park but it is not enclosed.
Can you make a big enough swing to drive in head first?
If not, I move over to a covered area and eliminate the possibility of future damage.
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #39

Talk about tail swing I watch somebody today right in the middle of the road make a u-turn with a pickup and a trailer with a long overhang and the tail swing took out a no parking sign almost took out a telephone pole
dynodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #40

Tail swing (you’re not alone)

Atkinson Body Repair also in Nacogdoches (936) 569-2966. Ask for Gary Atkison.
Littlestinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #41

Spartan Chassis
I learned something while at NIRVC that stuck with me. They have guys who do nothing but move units in and out all day long. Yet they have a steadfast rule, you don't move an inch without a spotter. I figure if these guys who move hundreds of units around a year see the importance of having a spotter, then who am I to think I don't need one. My DW will and has gotten out to spot in tight areas a few times but I try to avoid those situations.
Rev. Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #42

Yeah...my my 1st rv was a learning experience. The 1st incident was with a utility pole. The 2nd was with a hydrant in the cul-de-sac. Didn't even get out to see the damage. I just sat inside and had a few beers and when my friend pulled up he inspected the damage and gave me the bad news. Smh...tail swing is not a joke and definitely hold the beer until you're parked for the day.😁
donwon2 is offline   Reply With Quote