Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Beware of these scams

this rv really gets around.... and the price depends on location... just like the s&b... lol

http://appleton.craigslist.org/rvs/5865519813.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/rvs/5876708260.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/5865975000.html

Motorhome with Slide2OO2 Monaco Diesel Pusher
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, the tip off is the price. Who is gonna use a price like $20006 ???? What is the odd amount all about ? Maybe it's the scammer union policy that you have to use a weird price.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Angry Craigslist is full of scammers

Craigslist is full of scammers another tip off if the price is to good to be true it probably is a scam. another example is they tell you they will only go through Ebay to finalize the transaction. I was dealing on a truck they sent 24 pictures by email. the scammer told me he had a contract with ebay and that he would accept the money through them. He stated that they would guarantee the sale so I did not have anything to worry about. He said that all he needed was the address where the truck was to be delivered and a phone number. When I said that to deliver the truck would be to expensive for me, he gave me a song and dance that another buyer for the truck had already paid for delivery and lost out because he could not get financed. He said that it would not cost me anything to have it shipped to my home. I was leary so I contacted Ebay. They told me that this is a popular scam and that Ebay only warrants sales originating and finalized on Ebay. Ebay said that 90% or more sales of motor vehicles and RV's on craigslist are scams. You will find that 9 out of ten to good to be true ads are scams and they won't answer your emails unless they figure you are a good mark to scam money from. If you want to see the vehicle before purchase they will send pictures of the so called vehicle, But you never get to see it.
Mel
Old 11-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Rule #1 ... and rule #1 must always be followed!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER FOR ANY REASON ... NO MATTER THE REASON EVER EVER EVER DO ANY PAYMENT FOR ANYTHING ANYWHERE VIA Western Union, Money transfer service or a pre-paid card.

This also applies to a Wire Transfers from your bank unless working with a dealer or someone face to face and have title in hand.

Western Union, Money transfer service or a pre-paid card are designed so that money can be picked up any where in the WORLD no matter what address you put on the form. All they need is the pickup code and your money can be picked up in Russia, Nigeria, or even in Iowa when you think you sent the money to California... or where ever.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
As of 6:21 est tonight all 3 sites have been removed.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #6

Don't worry if you missed them, they will be back.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Rule #1 ... and rule #1 must always be followed!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER FOR ANY REASON ... NO MATTER THE REASON EVER EVER EVER DO ANY PAYMENT FOR ANYTHING ANYWHERE VIA Western Union, Money transfer service or a pre-paid card.

This also applies to a Wire Transfers from your bank unless working with a dealer or someone face to face and have title in hand.

Western Union, Money transfer service or a pre-paid card are designed so that money can be picked up any where in the WORLD no matter what address you put on the form. All they need is the pickup code and your money can be picked up in Russia, Nigeria, or even in Iowa when you think you sent the money to California... or where ever.

Good Advise
I Never did this but good to know why not to do it
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Craigslist is full of scammers another tip off if the price is to good to be true it probably is a scam. another example is they tell you they will only go through Ebay to finalize the transaction. I was dealing on a truck they sent 24 pictures by email. the scammer told me he had a contract with ebay and that he would accept the money through them. He stated that they would guarantee the sale so I did not have anything to worry about. He said that all he needed was the address where the truck was to be delivered and a phone number. When I said that to deliver the truck would be to expensive for me, he gave me a song and dance that another buyer for the truck had already paid for delivery and lost out because he could not get financed. He said that it would not cost me anything to have it shipped to my home. I was leary so I contacted Ebay. They told me that this is a popular scam and that Ebay only warrants sales originating and finalized on Ebay. Ebay said that 90% or more sales of motor vehicles and RV's on craigslist are scams. You will find that 9 out of ten to good to be true ads are scams and they won't answer your emails unless they figure you are a good mark to scam money from. If you want to see the vehicle before purchase they will send pictures of the so called vehicle, But you never get to see it.
Mel
I had the same exact experience with a potential trailer. Supposedly a medic on contract with the army shipping out in a week. everything will go through Amazon shipping and the warranty. I called spoke with Amazon is no such relationship craigslist pulled the ad.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
I had the same exact experience with a potential trailer. Supposedly a medic on contract with the army shipping out in a week. everything will go through Amazon shipping and the warranty. I called spoke with Amazon is no such relationship craigslist pulled the ad.
Craigslist does not have a monopoly on scammers, they are everywhere. They will even occasionally knock on your door too!
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
It's for sale in New Hampshire now !!!

2002 Monaco Monaco Executive 40

Old 11-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

I've purchased and sold cars via Craigslist. I think it is a gross exaggeration to say 90% are scams. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just think it isn't nearly that bad. There are plenty of good people out there using CL for legitimate transactions.

When selling my BMW I was contacted by a scammer but you'd have to be completely brain dead to not know it wasn't legit.

Good best practice is to only deal with people in person and keep all transactions local.

As already stated, if it is too good to be true, or seems fishy in any way, it is probably best to walk away.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
I've purchased and sold cars via Craigslist. I think it is a gross exaggeration to say 90% are scams. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just think it isn't nearly that bad. There are plenty of good people out there using CL for legitimate transactions.

When selling my BMW I was contacted by a scammer but you'd have to be completely brain dead to not know it wasn't legit.

Good best practice is to only deal with people in person and keep all transactions local.

As already stated, if it is too good to be true, or seems fishy in any way, it is probably best to walk away.
Agree. I buy and sell often on Craigslist. Tools, ham radio equipment, Jeep stuff, RVs and RV stuff, construction trades services, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post

x3. Bought one MH, sold 2. The scams seem easy to spot but I guess if everyone could see them, they wouldn't exist.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #14

I enjoy playing along with the scammers. So easy to spot, especially with the ridiculous low prices and the stupid amounts like $2003.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote