Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Beyond Frustrated

OK, bear with me on a long post.

Packed and ready to head south with unit loaded and ready for family. Had been on auxiliary power this past week and all appliances/accessories were functional. Went to start the motorhome (2004 Holiday Ramble Vacationer on Ford F53 Chassis) and it wouldn't turn over. Hit battery boost and it started up and ran well. Let it run about an hour or so and then needed to shut it sown to bring slides in. After that, no start - even with battery boost. Tried a separate, off the unit, battery booster that I have and still nothing.

Battery Minder says battery is desulfinated so I pulled the battery and went to town to find another. Could not match one up but bought what looked to be similar battery - it did not fit. I did, though, get it kind of hooked up just to see and still, no start. Took it back and picked up my old battery just for a placeholder. Put it back in and the unit started right up and turned over extremely well. Ran it for half an hour - shut it off...and since then, no start.

It seems to try, just one time...very slowly and then nothing. Can't figure out why it started a couple of times, but mostly nothing. Really didn't want a starter issue and not sure if that is even the case. Thought maybe a bad cell in battery but why would it start once or twice and then nothing?

If it was a starter why, again, would it once or twice but not any of the other times?

Very unhappy wife and pups - and one frustrated little Irishman.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

Bad connection on the starter or solenoid? Bad solenoid?

Doubt it is the ignition switch.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

I would look for a corroded ground,either at the battery or the chassis. Also look for corrosion on the wires at the starter solinoid. Will it crank if you jump the solinoid?
Have you checked the voltage with a multimeter? What is it at the battery before starting and with the engine running? Did the parts store load test it for you?
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not familiar with your make of RV so this may be off-base, but on my RV of the same year, being on shore power does NOT charge the engine batteries. It only charges the house batteries (lights, appliances etc.) The engine batteries are charged by the engine alternator, just like any other vehicle. This was later corrected by installing a Trik-L-Start or similar to leech power from the house batteries to keep the engine batteries charged up. If I sit for several months on shore power, without the Trik-L-Start I installed, parasitic drains would slowly pull down my engine batteries.

Do you know for sure that being on shore power charges the engine batteries on your model? At least in the first case it sounded like your engine batteries were low but by hitting the boost switch you got enough juice from the shore-power-charged house batteries to start the engine.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

I would also check your cables that are attached to the battery I had on mine the lug became loose but didn't realize this till I was having issues with it starting once and a while till I had someone else trying to start it when I was by the battery and I happened to grab the positive cable and found it was loose after I fixed it no more issues with starting
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks everyone - I think we have it. Played around with a few things but couldn't get it to start. Finally found a mobile mechanic to come out and it was the starter. Guy was great, affordable and timely.

Thanks gang

Tags
rust