Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Bicycle Rack behind a DP

On our 1st major trip to Austin & back in our new to us 2003 Bounder 37U, I put our bike rack on the trailer hitch in the back & brought our bikes with. We had previously used the bike rack on our 1996 Bounder 34J and have a nice Roadbag to go with it. Because the 37U is a rear radiator DP, I didn't want to use the Roadbag for fear of interrupting the flow of air from the radiator. The result was that the bikes were covered with grey road dust/soot in no time and couldn't be used without a thorough cleaning. I'm wondering what others have done in this situation. Do I move the bike rack top the front? That would involve installing another hitch up front. Or do I just use the Roadbag in the rear? I've seen a few DP's go through our town with bikes hanging from the rear ladder, but i don't like that idea.

Any ideas? What have you done?

By the way, our 1996 Bounder 34J sold in about 5 days on Craigs list.

Ron Everson
Cortez, Colorado
2003 Bounder 37U
Freightliner chassis w/Cummins 300 ISB
Ron Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

We traveled all over the northern Rockies last summer, Idaho, Mt and BC. We have our bikes on a rack on the back of the toad. It rained, then sunny, then more rain. Every time it rained, the toad was so dirty I couldn't see out the window to park it, and the bikes fared no better. So the trick was to find a car wash to wash the toad and the bikes. (Found a nice car wash in Banff, BC, if you can believe it. They use hot water up there, eh?) I like the Roadbag idea, that would at least keep the crud off the bikes, is that what you've found? Is the bag hard to take off and on? I wouldn't worry about rear radiator airflow, as there must be some space between your roadbag and your coach.
We have a Kuat rack, and use the anti-rattle u bolts from Roadmaster to eliminate shake rattle and roll of the bikes.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

I don't think you'll have a problem putting a cover over your bikes in that location. My Horizon is a rear radiator set up too and I've never had an overheating issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	164657  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

Bicycle rack behind a DP

The Roadbag did very well behind our 1996 Bounder 34J. It gets dirty instead of the bikes, and keeps them dry. Goes on and off pretty easy - 2 parts. We got the one that will hold 2-3 bikes.

Guess we'll try it behind the Bounder 37U DP on the next trip and watch the temp gauge.

Thanks, Ron Everson.
Ron Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm having a hitch put on the CRV to carry the bikes!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #6

My thoughts, a hitch on the pickup to carry the bikes, or if the pickup bed isn't covered, put the bikes in the pickup bed.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Bike Rack Behind DP

I have our covered bike rack behind our DP. We have put on over 30k miles including mountain driving with no overheating/air flow issues.
I don't think you will have a problem. However, my coach is a side radiator.
RJ
2005 CC Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote