Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
RB1

Big bike lift ... where do I start looking ...

I think I want to put a lift on the back of a Coachman 29DS ... one that will carry my full dress Harley (900 lbs). I have done some research and it looks feasible ... my question is where is the best place to start looking? I am actually in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia but could also easily cross into Washington State to purchase/install so either would work.

Speaking of install, is it something a handy guy can install himself or is it a pro only job?

Thanks
RB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #2

HydraLift is a hydraulic lift rated at 1000 lbs. Each install requires custom brackets and are welded to the frame.

http://hydralift-usa.com/
2021 RAM 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans, 4:10 differential
2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 replaced by 2021 DRV
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

I’m no expert, but I don’t think a 29 foot motorhome exists that you can hang a 900 lb bike plus the weight of the lift on the back.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I’m no expert, but I don’t think a 29 foot motorhome exists that you can hang a 900 lb bike plus the weight of the lift on the back.
I'm no expert either but you make a good point.

I believe it's actually a 32.5 ft. gas motorhome. But even at that, I'm wondering if putting a lift with a 900 lb. Harley is going to be too heavy even for that rig? ...not sure. GAWR on the rear has to be taken into consideration too on a short gas coach. I guess some folks put lifts on shorter gas coaches but the vast majority of Harleys being on lifts that I've seen on are diesel pushers.

I've attached an older guide I found in my files from Cruiserlift that might be helpful to the OP that will give some pointers on weight and other considerations. In addition to Hydralift that psaint referenced, Cruiserlift (Fast Master Products, Inc.) is another one of the more popular and prominent motorcycle lift manufacturers.

RB1:
The videos below discuss Cruiserlift installs and one will explain that there are certain Class A gas coaches that can accommodate the lift but he says to check with Cruiserlift as they can help determine which gas coaches might be able to accommodate the lift.

You probably would have to go into one of the larger cities to find an installer unless you can find a good welder locally who would be willing to read the instructions and do the install ...assuming that you are not a welder. Hopefully you won't have to go any further than Wenatchee but maybe we can do some research on that if you find that your coach will in fact accommodate a lift.

https://youtu.be/ejOxcPYo820

https://youtu.be/mIu67pMl-rQ

ETA: looking at the Hydralift website, theirs actually sound more suitable. They also have authorized dealers/ installers in Penticton, another in Kelowna, as well as in Wenatchee.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cruiserlift_install_requirements.pdf (375.8 KB, 17 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's not going to work. A 900 lb bike on the back of a single axle coach is too much weight. I have a 760 lb bike on my Tag axle coach and that's about max for the axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorcylce carrier axle weight calcualtion.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	260278  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1 View Post
I think I want to put a lift on the back of a Coachman 29DS ... one that will carry my full dress Harley (900 lbs). I have done some research and it looks feasible ...
NO it’s NOT feasible on a 29DS. It’s not a simple 900 + 500(lift) 1400 lbs added to the rear axle. It’s going to put over 2000 lbs on the rear axle and take 6-700 lbs off the front axle.

You MIGHT be able to put it on 2 wheel swivel platform that only puts half the weight on the MH but getting it up there would be a problem. Only practical option is to put it in a trailer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #7

Some good advice here. You could contact the lift maker(s) but I suspect they will tell you the weights are not going to work out. I have a hydralift on the back of my 40 ft DP. I scaled good with my single axle but tire loads were within about 200 lbs of their individual limits, allowing about 5% for imbalance side to side. This was with my 820 lb Road King. I've moved to a new and lighter Heritage that weighs 730 lb, so that was a step in the right direction. Your bike would be over the top for my bigger rig, so it seems extremely unlikely it would work out for yours.
The swivelwheel units come with ramps and loading wouldn't be worse than a trailer I think. Another consideration would be to get a hydraulic loader for a pickup truck. I talked to one of those companies and they said they can work with a 5.5 foot bed. Of course then you'd want the truck to be flat-towable, so 4wd with a transfer case. This would get your Ultra and a toad both coming with you. If you don't care about having a toad plus bike and can work with bringing either/or, I would go with an enclosed trailer. Keeps your bike out of the weather and the dirt and potential vandals and provides a mini workshop if needed with extra space for tools and riding gear. Best of Luck!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

I had a Blue Ox carrier with a 900# dresser on the back of a 40' DP which overloaded the 255/80/22.5 tires at the time. I replaced the tires, but the 20,000# rear axle was still overloaded. There is no amount of money that could entice me to hang 11-1200# on the back of any gas coach....
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Don't do it! With your WB and GVWR you're asking for disaster!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

As all have said above, it is not possible.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Some good advice here. You could contact the lift maker(s) but I suspect they will tell you the weights are not going to work out. I have a hydralift on the back of my 40 ft DP. I scaled good with my single axle but tire loads were within about 200 lbs of their individual limits, allowing about 5% for imbalance side to side. This was with my 820 lb Road King. I've moved to a new and lighter Heritage that weighs 730 lb, so that was a step in the right direction. Your bike would be over the top for my bigger rig, so it seems extremely unlikely it would work out for yours.
The swivelwheel units come with ramps and loading wouldn't be worse than a trailer I think. Another consideration would be to get a hydraulic loader for a pickup truck. I talked to one of those companies and they said they can work with a 5.5 foot bed. Of course then you'd want the truck to be flat-towable, so 4wd with a transfer case. This would get your Ultra and a toad both coming with you. If you don't care about having a toad plus bike and can work with bringing either/or, I would go with an enclosed trailer. Keeps your bike out of the weather and the dirt and potential vandals and provides a mini workshop if needed with extra space for tools and riding gear. Best of Luck!
I don't think he would have the tow capacity for a 4x4 truck, plus carrier, plus bike. I think an small enclosed trailer is the way to go. Cheers
Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1 View Post
I think I want to put a lift on the back of a Coachman 29DS ... one that will carry my full dress Harley (900 lbs). I have done some research and it looks feasible ... my question is where is the best place to start looking? I am actually in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia but could also easily cross into Washington State to purchase/install so either would work.

Speaking of install, is it something a handy guy can install himself or is it a pro only job?

Thanks
RBI,
Yes Sir, loading a lift, like a Hydralift (without a doubt, the best in the market) on the back of a 30' coach, is well, kind-a messing with danger. Can it be done, sure. But, what would be the REAL consequences? I did it with a 36' diesel and, it worked. No one died. The moon and sun pretty much still are up in the sky and, I still have my first born. All the calculations were so far off it wasn't funny. I gained 1/16th of an inch in height in my front end. Wow, alert the media. My ride height sensors automatically adjusted for the weight.

Yep, the rear of my coach was over loaded. But, for over 8,000 miles and 2 years, it worked like a charm. No ill handling, no porpoising, no wandering, no ill affects what so ever. But, my concern was for my tires. They were over loaded too. So, after a couple of years, we changed game plans. We've been towing our GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab with a Rampage lift in it, carrying our '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for quite a few years. That system too, works great. We really miss the Hydralift.

Anyway, as for your coach and a Hydralift, well, if you really want to bring your Harley along, I'd maybe look into:

Fastmaster Producfts Cruiserlift/Swivelwheel Transportation

IT would be a much more viable solution for your situation. And, you can back up with them too. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
RB1

Well I guess that idea isn't going to fly ...

Funny how the sales guy seemed to think it was no problem ... amazing the unsafe B$ they will peddle to sell.

Thanks a ton you guys for all this excellent info. I'm new to this game so doing a lot of research before I jump, this is an awesome forum.

Thanks again
RB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Even though I suggested a 2 wheel swivel platform, the little tires are going to be hard on wheel bearings turning that fast. Gets back to a trailer being the best choice.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote