Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Big Foot Levellers won't retract

Hi,

My motorhome has been parked on a pitch for the last 3 years with the levelling jacks in the down position. I now have to move the motorhome but the jacks will not retract.

When I activate the control panel the "all up" light is on but the jacks are down. If I switch the unit on the auto levelling does its bit and indicates that all is level. If I press the "retract" button nothing happens.

I have to move the motorhome by the end of August so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mick
patspiercing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 04:49 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a single pump Quadra system on my coach. Couple of items to check.

First, check the battery volts. The pump(s) and solenoid valves are power hogs when active and you need a full charge to operate correctly. Check both the house and chassis batteries. Which battery bank the system uses will depend on how it is installed.

Second, any strange indicator lights on the control panel when you turn it on or try to command a retract? Are the front and rear jack indicators flashing?

Third, if you have the option, there is a toggle switch on the pump unit(s) for a direct command of all jacks up (aka manual override). It is an option feature so check to see if you have it. If you have the option it will get the jacks up but you'll still have a problem somewhere.

Fourth, ensure you are setting all the interlocks for the system to operate. E-brake on, engine running,,,.

Next option would be to call Quadra at 1-800-752-9815 or 269-483-9633. There are also troubleshooting guides on their web site - Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling System Support.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

X 2 on giving Quadra a call on the toll free number, there customer service is second to none!!!
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:32 AM   #4

Hi,

Our levellers work off the house batteries and we are hooked up to the mains supply so that should not be a problem.
I have looked at the pump but cannot see a toggle but I am not really sure where I should be looking to be quite honest.
I have the "all up" light on so I assume that the system thinks that the feet are retracted and so it is not operating. When I press the "manual retract" button I can hear a click but nothing happens.
I have emailed Quadra and am waiting for a response.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 AM   #5

If the jacks have been down for 3 years with no protection or lubrication you must consider the possibility they are frozen.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #6

That is possible but I think that the "All Up" light is significant.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #7

Have had a look now it has stopped raining. The system I have has a pump on each leg with power cables running to each one. I am getting 13.4 Volts on the power cable at each leg. When I activate the retract button either auto or manual I get a click from the all 4 retract solenoids but the pumps do not run. I find it hard to believe that all 4 pumps have failed. However I have found a bent limit switch which could have been causing my "All Up" light. I have straightened that and the light is now not lit. But the legs will still not retract.

Any ideas
Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #8

Bad ground at the pumps? Can you provide 12 volt power to individual pumps?
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you tried to jump the solenoids?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #10

Bypass the solenoids and inject voltage direct to each motor.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #11

Problem sorted

The fault was a corroded connexion on the 120 Amp breaker. So I cleaned up the connectors and also the battery connectors and the system worked.

I have, however, got a problem with one of the legs. The cylinder has corroded and so it was reluctant to go up. But at least now I can move it at the end of the month.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

Mick