Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Big wheels

Are there any class (A) DP owners out there running the larger 24.5 LP wheels on their coach?

Just wondering if there's a better ride than with the 22.5 LP.

Thanks for the response.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan,
Just noticed your thread on the unanswered posts. We don't have a DP and only have the 19.5" tires so I can't help with that part. However the other day I was taking a tour of a semi shop with some students and noticed the all the rigs were using 22.5" tires. That's something that I just never realized before. While I've been in the field of teaching mechanics for 35 years I've not been into the larger rigs at all.

If all the semi's use that sized tire that means that the bulk of the larger tires manufactured for use in this country are the 22.5" tires. I asked what the prices were and was told they ranged between $500 and $800 each. If that is like other items manufactured I would believe that the high number of tires produced in that size has to affect the price to a large degree.

I do realize that the 22.5" tires do give a significantly better quality ride than the 19.5" tires. Maybe that's your answer. Maybe the biggest return on the ride is going from 19.5" to 22.5" and the increase in ride quality is minimal compared to the price increase if you go larger than the 22.5" tires. Don't know for sure but it is something to think about.

TeJay
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

I think the biggest reasons for nobody in the RV industry running 24.5s, is cost and options.

There are so many options in the 22.5 allowing you to tailor your ride, 24.5 sticks you with nothing but harsh riding heavy truck tires. Load range on them is bigger then most RVs will ever get.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest reason they ( 24.5) are not used on Rv's would be clearance issues. The diameter of them would probably not fit in most coaches wheel wells.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I think the biggest reasons for nobody in the RV industry running 24.5s, is cost and options.

There are so many options in the 22.5 allowing you to tailor your ride, 24.5 sticks you with nothing but harsh riding heavy truck tires. Load range on them is bigger then most RVs will ever get.
The truck tires you refer to as harsh riding have a bigger side wall. The
RV size tires are a low profile and have a shorter side wall. I have drove trucks with both types and prefer the truck size for ride.

I put truck tires on my coach and can tell you it rides and handles better than with the low profile ones before them. You just have to make sure you have the clearance for them.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

In the early 90's, Monaco Signatures came with 24.5 tires. Not sure when they changed to the 22.5s. I remembered checking availability of 24.5 tires compared to 22.5s. Supposedly getting 24.5s were no problem. These days I'm not sure that is the case.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

This gives a short pro-and-con of each pertaining to using them on a truck ...I don't see any substantial advantage of spending the extra money and running 24.5s on an RV, myself: click here
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Are there any class (A) DP owners out there running the larger 24.5 LP wheels on their coach?
Just wondering if there's a better ride than with the 22.5 LP.
Thanks for the response.
Dtwallace
What are 24.5 LP and 22.5 LP wheels?
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:03 AM   #9

Theroc,

Thanks for that info, Mel, in my phraseology the LP22.5 wheel is the low profile 22.5 tire and rim assembly versus the larger 24.5 version. The R22.5 is the non-lowpro version of the same tire.

Thanks to all who responded with excellent and knowledgeable input. It makes sense that the larger wheel would be harder to tuck under our smaller wheel wells if someone was just trying out a change in size, and not worth the trouble.

I was curious since I had never seen the larger wheel on any coach. I have used them on an OTR truck in the past, and yes there is a better ride.

One comment reference the better ride from the non-lowpro tire I think is right on target. The non-lowpro has a higher side wall, thus it takes up road shock without sending it to the rest of the suspension system better.

Thanks to all
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

LP = Low Profile?

Some coaches use lower profile (aspect ratio) tires, e.g. 70 or 75 series, so the sidewalls are slightly lower. Mine didn't - OEM was 295/80R22.5 "RV tires" and I've now switched to 11R22.5 "truck tires", with a slightly taller sidewall than even the 80 profile. If there is a difference in ride, I can't detect it.

In any case, a taller sidewall usually has a bit more flex and may ride softer, all other things being equal. But "all other things" are rarely equal, e.g. tire pressure differs, rubber compound used (e.g. for different mpg and wear characteristics), etc. Those things have an effect of ride and handling too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LP = Low Profile?

Some coaches use lower profile (aspect ratio) tires, e.g. 70 or 75 series, so the sidewalls are slightly lower. Mine didn't - OEM was 295/80R22.5 "RV tires" and I've now switched to 11R22.5 "truck tires", with a slightly taller sidewall than even the 80 profile. If there is a difference in ride, I can't detect it.

In any case, a taller sidewall usually has a bit more flex and may ride softer, all other things being equal. But "all other things" are rarely equal, e.g. tire pressure differs, rubber compound used (e.g. for different mpg and wear characteristics), etc. Those things have an effect of ride and handling too.
Did you make the switch because of cost or availability? I can see how those two sizes would be similar in ride, and I think the switch to truck tires for most is a no brainer.

My coach has the 295's on the steer, and 295's on the rear drive and tag. I can see why that's the case as 295's are of a higher profile and do soak up the road shock better.

Having this first time experiencing owning a vehicle with this tire size combination has taught me something I had long since over looked, and that's larger higher profile wheels do give a better ride and way less shock to the vehicle than smaller or lower profile wheels do. This got me wondering about the typical sizes on other coaches and rather or not any used the larger 24.5 wheels.

In reality, the 295's are very close to the same outside diameter as the LP24.5 wheel. So in this case, there would be no need to change overall wheel size to get that smoother ride we all want.

I'm still a long way from needing replacement, but I'm doing my homework early. My trucking experience has helped me quite a bit as far as brand choosing. Now as I continue my research, I'm leaning more and more away from ever replacing my tires with motor coach specific models.

Thanks for your input
Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I looked at a Country Coach Prevost conversion a couple weeks ago. Was surprised to see it had 22.5" tires/wheels all around, in fact they were the same size as our Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
The biggest reason they ( 24.5) are not used on Rv's would be clearance issues. The diameter of them would probably not fit in most coaches wheel wells.
If they were building the RV then they could certainly build it with bigger wheel wells!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
If memory serves me correctly. the 24.5 wheels and Lo Pro tires were introduced in the mid to late 1980's as a way to get the same overall diameter tire and load carrying capacity as some of the 22.5 tires but use less rubber and in return be more cost effective because of the Fed's significant increase in taxes on the weight/amount of rubber used in a tire. Check the specs on truck tire diameters and revolutions per mile and you will find a number of 24'5's that are very comparable to some of the popular 22.5 tires.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote