Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #1

Bike rack / class A / toad

Looking for insight here, and experience from actual users. I have a Thule XT Pro rack that is approved for use on a motorhome, and, obviously on a car, too. However, I am seeing info that says you cannot use this rack on your toad when being flat towed. I am having a hard time trying to figure our why it is fine when driving the toad, but not when being flat towed.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not use a bike rack on a toad when flat towing? Who came up with that one? There is a potential problem with the bike rack on the coach when flat towing if the tow bar should ever contacting the rack or bikes such as when the front of the coach is high while toad is level but I can't see a problem with the rack on the toad that would not also be a problem when driving the toad.

Any chance of a link to where you are finding the warnings?
Old 08-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Looking for insight here, and experience from actual users. I have a Thule XT Pro rack that is approved for use on a motorhome, and, obviously on a car, too. However, I am seeing info that says you cannot use this rack on your toad when being flat towed. I am having a hard time trying to figure our why it is fine when driving the toad, but not when being flat towed.
Before we purchased our Thule Easyfold we called Thule because we had the same question you present and was told their engineers had determined the toad movement while being towed was more stressful on the hitch receiver area and could lead to metal fatigue over time. From watching my toad on our rear camera over the years there does appear to be an elevated left to right movement than would occur if not being towed, but, I never thought it was enough to cause a problem.

Since there are recommendations not to use bike racks on toads I decided I did not want to bet on surviving a lawsuit if the rack did break and cause an accident. We have a dual hitch and put the bike rack in the top position.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a copy of the owners manual for a T2.
It does have an "X" on the trailer diagram, (see page 3 of manual) indicating not to mount it on the back of a trailer. I've seen trailers 'whip', which I can see would put a lot of stress on a bike rack. Does a towed car whip like that? Mine sure doesn't but each person needs to decide what risk you're willing to take.

https://www.thule.com/-/s/approved/s...52.pdf?rev=5.2
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

I’ve used my Swagman XTC4 on the back of the MH (without toad) and on the back of the Explorer when towing it. No issues.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Do not use a bike rack on a toad when flat towing? Who came up with that one? There is a potential problem with the bike rack on the coach when flat towing if the tow bar should ever contacting the rack or bikes such as when the front of the coach is high while toad is level but I can't see a problem with the rack on the toad that would not also be a problem when driving the toad.

Any chance of a link to where you are finding the warnings?
Here’s the link to E trailer and my rack. Scroll down, and you’ll see what they say it can and cannot be used on.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...le/TH23GC.html
Old 08-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #7

I have a Swagman E-Spec bike rack https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../S94FR.htmland, which is suitable for hitching to a flat-towed vehicle. It was recommended by Swagman and etrailer. I have hitched it to the back of my toad without an issue and my toad has no movement I can see from my fulltime rear view monitor.

What I like about the rack hitch is it slides into my rv, trailer and flat-towed vehicle 2" receiver and a pin screws into the receiver for a very snug fit. I also use a hitch tighten as extra insurance. The rack also LOCKS the bikes down. As a result, the rack AND bikes have NO movement.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Iíve used my Swagman XTC4 on the back of the MH (without toad) and on the back of the Explorer when towing it. No issues.
Me too! Same rack used on MH and toad. No issues so far.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #9

My bike rack slides onto the ball mount, in between the ball and the receiver. I don't have any experience with it on the toad. Personally, I'd think using it on the rear of a toad (four wheels down) would be ok since, if set up properly, would not sway near as much as a regular bumper pulled trailer.

NOTE: This is just my opinion and something I wouldn't have any qualms doing myself.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #10

ai finally have an answer - after a lot of research and digging, I finally found this on the Thule website, buried under several layers, and inside a FAQ section. Here is Thule's response to the sam question I had asked about motorhome and flat towing: "When using a bike rack on an extended-wheelbase or towed vehicle, be sure to regularly check the tension and placement of the bikes throughout your journey to ensure safe and secure attachment." This makes perfect sense to me. Why E-Trailer is saying you can't does not make sense. So - I'm again a happy camper!
Old 08-19-2022, 11:07 PM   #11

I don't have the same rack but have been hauling around two electric bikes for two years and over 10,000 miles on the back of the toad without issues. I have added a cast hitch tightener that eliminates any free play in the hitch, and I run a strap from the upper part of the rack down at an angle to the safety chain mounts to minimize the bikes flopping side to side. This greatly reducing the dynamic loading of the rack tube than goes into the receiver and stops any hammering in the receiver from the bumps on the road.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:05 AM   #12

I'd worry more about vertical movement from all the pot holes. It's got to rough ride in a toad.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I'd worry more about vertical movement from all the pot holes. It's got to rough ride in a toad.

Why would the ride be rougher when my Jeep is being towed versus when being driven? All four corners have the same tires and suspension both ways.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55
Before we purchased our Thule Easyfold we called Thule because we had the same question you present and was told their engineers had determined the toad movement while being towed was more stressful on the hitch receiver area and could lead to metal fatigue over time. From watching my toad on our rear camera over the years there does appear to be an elevated left to right movement than would occur if not being towed, but, I never thought it was enough to cause a problem.
Same rack here but a slightly different answer from Thule. They did say the side to side movement of the towed vehicle was the issue but the stress point was the fold-down hinge of the EasyFold. That's something we never used.

That thing looks pretty solid, especially how it kind of cups around the support. I've been thinking about maybe putting a strap around it if possible.

I think the issue would be far more pronounced if the towed vehicle was a trailer and not a car. But they need to write general requirements so they do.

HighDesert, if you click the red icon to Report Post you can ask an admin to modify the Subject to add the make and model of the bike rack. That should get more focused answers. I do know several people have posted that they use the EasyFold on a toad without any failures, yet.

Maybe something like "Anyone using a Thule EasyFold XT2 on a toad?"

Ray

Tags
bike rack, class a, toad