Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstein new shock.

I got a new Bilstein shock for my 05 Safari cheatah, roadmaster frame. The shock is a 24-186582, if I put the one end of the shock on the floor, n try pushing the other end of the shock to the floor, a vertical push, the shock doesn't move with my weight on it. Is this normal for the Bilstein?? I have Koni shocks on it now, that are weak, the koni shocks came with my motorhome.
Thank you for your help..
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
The Bilstein's are gas charged and should ship with a retaining strap that you are supposed to leave in place until the shock is installed. This is normal for most all gas charged shocks which if I am not mistaken the Koni's are not gas charged. You need to compress it and put the (or a) strap back on it then install it. It will compress but may need more pressure than your weight can provide. ~CA

Maybe a ratchet style strap could help hold it in place while you install it.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #3

Does the other shock work the same way?
Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, Bilstein's are gas charged.
If the strap is cut /gone you can mount the top bolt and use a floor jack, and a couple of wood blocks to jack the bottom into position. Just be careful.

Ask me how i know.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Different model number than yours, but I cut the straps on mine, put the top pin mounts in place, and was able to compress the shocks with one arm while I inserted the lower bolts with the other hand.
Their stiff, but not impossible.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The Bilstein's are gas charged and should ship with a retaining strap that you are supposed to leave in place until the shock is installed. This is normal for most all gas charged shocks which if I am not mistaken the Koni's are not gas charged. You need to compress it and put the (or a) strap back on it then install it. It will compress but may need more pressure than your weight can provide. ~CA

Maybe a ratchet style strap could help hold it in place while you install it.
Thank you for your help.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Does the other shock work the same way?
Only got 1 shock waiting on the 2nd shock.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Different model number than yours, but I cut the straps on mine, put the top pin mounts in place, and was able to compress the shocks with one arm while I inserted the lower bolts with the other hand.
Their stiff, but not impossible.
There must be something wrong with my shock, no way would you move this shock with arm. I've never seen a shock that wouldn't move. Thanks for your info.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Yup, Bilstein's are gas charged.
If the strap is cut /gone you can mount the top bolt and use a floor jack, and a couple of wood blocks to jack the bottom into position. Just be careful.

Ask me how i know.

Mike in Colorado
Thanks Mike, I'm waiting on my second shock, back ordered. I have put shock on like that, but I could move them shocks a little, this shock won't move a hair. Have a great everyone.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

I have sold thousands of Bilsteins..some some customers can't push against the pressure but 99% can. So see if a friend can come by and lend a hand.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #11

Just put Bilsteins on, and the ratchet straps work great, you can ratchet the shock right down to where holes line up.
Reezos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I bolt the top of the shock in first, then use a floor jack to raise the bottom and bolt it down.
I had a weight lifter friend that could compress them, but I couldn't.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reezos View Post
Just put Bilsteins on, and the ratchet straps work great, you can ratchet the shock right down to where holes line up.
Thank you, smart ideal.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
I have sold thousands of Bilsteins..some some customers can't push against the pressure but 99% can. So see if a friend can come by and lend a hand.
I'm waiting on my second shock, second shock was backordered. Then I'll know for sure. I have put a lot gas shocks on, but the 46mm is the first. So I didn't know how much pressure it would take to move the shock, I weigh over 200 lbs, n can't press the shock one bit. My neighbor weighs 250 plus, n putting the end of the shock on concrete, he can't push the shock even a 1/4", the shock won't move any.. I've never had this problem. Years of mechanics, I never seen such a tough shock. Thanks for everyone's info..