Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #1

Biodiesel use in 2001 Monaco Diplomat

We live in California (poor us) and Flying J and other fuel stops are offering mostly Biodiesel. We aren't sure about filling up on Biodiesel in our 2001 Monaco Diplomat. We have managed to avoid it so far. We have asked some reliable sources...and get different responses. I do understand that you shouldn't let Biodiesel just sit in your tank for any lenght of time. We are concerned about clogging up filters...or worse. What have your experiences been filling up with Biodiesel? Thanks!
desertstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used to have a 2001 Rexhall with the Cummins ISC. Burned 20% biodiesel many times, no issues.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:50 PM   #3

Been using bio-diesel in CA , since it was introduced , only issue is a slight decrease in economy . I've been traveling through with this coach for 12 years.
Additive with algae side when storing the coach .
Old 05-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think most stations will have biodiesel and it would be difficult not to have to use it. I do use a lubricity additive on occasion.

I had good reviews on this https://www.ebay.com/itm/26425099598...53.m2749.l2649
So I bought a jug and intend to use it every 2 or 3 fill ups. The jug would treat 10 full tanks of fuel for me so ~10K miles. So it will last quite a while.

If I park my rig for a while I'll add Biobor (algaecide) & Startron(enzyme) to treat the fuel.

Plus last year I installed a FASS fuel pump which continually recirculates and filters the fuel. I bypassed the original lift pump which is a known problem on my 8.3 ISC engine

With the cost of the engine I've done everything I can to keep it maintained properly. Probably my next project may be adding a EGT so I can track exhaust temps.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:23 PM   #5

As mentioned, can be hard to know what you are putting in your tank these days... I think I read somewhere, maybe on IRV2, that if it's 5% Bio - it does not even have to be noted at the pump.

I agree with the less power output, gallon for gallon between ULSD and Bio's... The higher the Bio percentage, the lower the power output.

The high the Bio percentage, the higher the risk of moisture build up.

For sure when storing, JF Biobor (Or Biobor JF?) is a no brainer to add. I also use it when I know I might be in a park for say a month or more - especially if the park is in a moist region of the country.

While I'd prefer ULSD, really hard to travel without some Bio percentages being added to your tank at a fill up from time to time...

Really should not hurt, and some say it even helps keep injectors a bit cleaner... (Not a fat, just the fodder of man boards posts!).

One other thing I do, is if I know we'll be doing some heavier mountain driving, and I have a mix of ULSD and Bio in the tank - I'll add some Cetane additive to compensate for the lower Bio Power Output... Have no idea if it helps, but I certainly believe it does not hurt!

Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:37 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did a lot of research some years ago on bio. The final result was that ratios up to about 20% would be fine for most engines (this was pre-advanced emissions engines...) but going higher than 20% ran risks of possible damage to some components in the fuel system.

For some modern diesel engines running any bio is not a good idea. An example is the MB Sprinter vans which MB strongly recommends never run bio mixes.

Personally, I'd avoid bio if possible, just because. One of the reasons that bio is not universal is due to the problems it creates...
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #7

Since biodiesel mixtures below B5 / 5% are not required to be labeled as such on pump, you don't know if you've been using biodiesel or not.
The main concern with biodiesel is the solvent charismatics, it loosens deposits in the entire fuel system and tends to clog fuel filters within the first 1,000 miles of use. After than fuel filters last as long as prior to biodiesel use.
This means, carry spare fuel filters with you as you travel to prevent being stranded.

Biodiesel is also the best lubricity additive known to replace sulfur removed during refining to make ULSD fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, diplomat, monaco, monaco diplomat