Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Bird Nests under Dashboard

I just purchased a 33' 1998 Georgie Boy Pursuit and took in camping on a 4 day maiden voyage.

A few bugs, but everything worked great, except when the motorhome stopped, we could hear baby birds UNDER or INSIDE of the dashboard. Upon investigating, in the front engine / Firewall compartment there is what looks like sprayed foam insulation and 2 perfect holes, rather large, but just small enough that you can't get your adult hand in.

The holes appear to lead inside of the dashboard in the mH. Is this possible and is there any reason that holes should be there for access or ventilation. Seems like a sure route for mice. Can I plug these with some spray foam or Steel Wool. I think either the birds died or a predator got them because we didn't hear them after a day or two
kstev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

Unless you want some really bad smells, you need to first remove the nest. Sounds like something initially done by mice.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Did you adopt the birds?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

No I didn't adopt the birds, but we had several Raccoons and such and I wonder if they (or snakes) could have removed them during the first night camping.

As far as the hole being made by mice, it's possible, but the the holes are on both the driver and passenger side and almost identical. Not knawed looking either, they have very smooth rounded edges.

I can see no purpose for them and to prevent future birds nests or mice I think I'll just shut them up with steel wool
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that it took a problem for you to join us, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you have a resolution.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think I would leave those holes open for a while. Whatever went in may want out!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone

Thanks to everyone for the friendly posts and welcomes! You don't always get that with all message boards these days.

I'm sure this little problem won't be my only post. I hope to remain active on this forum and hopefully I can help someone else with a problem. While I am new to being an RV owner, and an old one at that, I have been camping nearly the entire 63 years of my life. Whether it be tent camping (ughh), in my Jayco Pop-up that I used to own or my brothers Allegro Motor Home.

No smells from under the dash and it's been 3 or 4 days of 100+ Heat index, So I just temporarily plugged the holes until I find something more permanent
Old 07-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstev99 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the friendly posts and welcomes! You don't always get that with all message boards these days.

I'm sure this little problem won't be my only post. I hope to remain active on this forum and hopefully I can help someone else with a problem. While I am new to being an RV owner, and an old one at that, I have been camping nearly the entire 63 years of my life. Whether it be tent camping (ughh), in my Jayco Pop-up that I used to own or my brothers Allegro Motor Home.

No smells from under the dash and it's been 3 or 4 days of 100+ Heat index, So I just temporarily plugged the holes until I find something more permanent

Perhaps a spray can of that foam
stuff.

My son has a 2007 Keystone TT. He used it for work in the oil fields. He got a major mouse infestation. They were getting in around a water line hole drilled through the floor that was way too big. He foamed that closed. He parked the trailer at his house and threw a cat in. He'd check on the cat to make sure it had water and dump the litter box etc. The cat got fat. no more mices.

Tags
dash, dashboard