Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Bird Strikes

In all my life driving cars I don't think I've ever had a bird strike. In ONE year of my Class A MH, I've had 3 bird strikes. 2 above the glass and 1 about 2 feet above road height. The lower one has a minor ding, thankfully the other 2 none that I've been able to see.

What is with MH's and birds??? Even in my time flying jets I very luckily never had a bird strike, other than one stupid bird falling off the edge of the A-10 cowl and going into the engine waiting for departure clearance in Panama! Stupid hurts! Dumb bird!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

I've hit more birds on a motorcycle than I have a car. You'd think, with the smaller frontal area, it'd be the reverse. I think it's got to do with aerodynamics. I do see a bird occasionally come up over the hood of our car then over the windshield. It makes me flinch, but somehow I miss it. It's like it follows the airflow over the car. Our RVs, on the other hand, have the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread, or a toaster, or ... well, you know what I mean

I think the big, flat front just doesn't flow air like our cars, or your planes, do. Combined with a much larger frontal area, the poor birds just don't stand a chance.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holy smoke, you been lucky. I killed 52 starlings with my Suburban, a couple with my MH, sucked a duck down the left J-79 in my Phantom -- it didn't even burp. In my Hercules career I had one swoosh himself down #2's intake on climbout outta K2, one bounce off the center windscreen on takeoff outta Ali Al Salem, and got into an argument with 152 pidgeons at Solerno FOB in Afghanistan.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Holy smoke, you been lucky. I killed 52 starlings with my Suburban, a couple with my MH, sucked a duck down the left J-79 in my Phantom -- it didn't even burp. In my Hercules career I had one swoosh himself down #2's intake on climbout outta K2, one bounce off the center windscreen on takeoff outta Ali Al Salem, and got into an argument with 152 pidgeons at Solerno FOB in Afghanistan.
Have you tried hunting? You seem to attract them well. I'm really glad I didn't hit any of the Pterodactyl's (had to google that one for spelling) in Panama! Large flocks of the biggest birds I've ever seen! Good thing for highly maneuverable hawg.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #5

About a month ago I found a starling with a very surprised expression on his face in front grille. I second aerodynamics effect in most class a as the root cause. Wonder if older pace arrows with cow catcher front end have the same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

I had an owl hit my windshield in my truck on a country highway. What a mess of glass and bird parts!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe cover up the painted WORM on the front of your coach ?!?

None here for me thankfully ! but it does recall a story from my 6'5" marine uncle driving a volkswagon beetle at a high rate of speed(for it) at night and a turkey came THROUGH the windshield and was still alive flapping around while he tried to stop !!!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

I think some cars and vehicles and even colors attract birds or are harder for them to see. My family has hit or had their fair share of run ins with animals in the oddest of ways.

My mom hit a Canadian goose that shattered the windshield in her car.
My Grandma hit a horse... yes you read that correctly. A horse.
My dad had a deer hit him... ran right into the side of his truck when he was stopped at a stop sign.
I had a blue sedan that I hit more birds than I can count, several raccoons, a cat, a deer, and a possum. I could have easily hit more deer than the one but got lucky. That car was an animal attractant and killer.
In my motorhome I haven't hit a single bird *knocks on wood*

Now for more strange run ins with animals and my family that kinda didn't involve a vehicle

My uncle caught a seagull while fishing. Cast his pole out from a boat and the hook caught a seagull right in the chest in mid air.

That same uncle is a terrible fisherman because when I was around 11 years old we were fishing from the bank and I walked to get more bait and he pulled back to cast and caught me right in the cheek with the hook.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hit a turkey at freeway speed and did $1400 in damage.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

A friend was on his motorcycle and hit a buzzard. It almost killed him. It did kill the buzzard.