Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Bit The Bullet and Bought The Amish Cooling Unit

We have a Norcold R822.Turned on the Fridge the last week and the freezer got real cold but the Fridge never got cold all got was the dreaded "n" code. I reset the board and got "n" again.
Fed up and not wanting to deal with it I bought the Amish Cooling Unit with a new burner, fan for the coil on the back and a fan for the inside coils. It will be shipped Monday the 24th...
Opinions and Tips will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 10:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
We have a Norcold R822.Turned on the Fridge the last week and the freezer got real cold but the Fridge never got cold all got was the dreaded "n" code. I reset the board and got "n" again.
Fed up and not wanting to deal with it I bought the Amish Cooling Unit with a new burner, fan for the coil on the back and a fan for the inside coils. It will be shipped Monday the 24th...
Opinions and Tips will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks LeeB
Well Lee,
I hope it all works for you when you get the new unit and install it. I've got a couple of threads going on here about me simply removing my old Norcold N-1095 and installing a Magic Chef residential unit. We just got back from a short trip, about 3 weeks or so and, that was the maiden voyage for that fridge. It works outstanding! We've never, ever had ROCK SOLID ice cream before. And, the rest of the food was around 33-38 degrees.
My only issue is, it won't run on my MSW inverter so, I'm gonna tackle that next. I thought about either procuring an Amish unit for our ailing Norcold and or, converting it to a pump type system. But, I figured what the heck, let's just slip a residential unit in there and go for it. So far, so good.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #3

Had JC Refrigeration install their new HVAC 12v compressor in our MH last week. Works great and very efficient far more so than a residential unit but depends on your camping style. We were in Indiana so it made sense to have them do the install. Highly professional. Timely. Clean install. Highly recommended. We have a two door Dometic but they replace cool ping units on the 4 doors as well. No more risk of fire from leaking ammonia.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are going to do the install yourself check Youtube for videos and make sure you understand how to do and have all the necessary supplies. Installation is the key to having it work properly.

I opted to install a Samsung RF18 instead. The Norcold never really worked good, not sure how much spoiled food we threw away for the 10 years we had the coach.

When I removed the Norcold we had to take it apart to get it out the door. When I removed the cooling unit I saw what the problem was. The cooling unit has to make good contact with the metal on the back of the fridge. Whoever installed put about ~1/2' bead of caulk on a zig zag pattern on the mating surface, there was too much of air gap for the fridge to cool properly.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. I thought about installing a residential but we like to Boondock to much and to do that would take to much mods. I watched the install video from JC Refrigeration, I'll do a search on you tube and watch them also. Good point about keeping it close. Thanks for that...

LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks for the reply's. I thought about installing a residential but we like to Boondock to much and to do that would take to much mods. I watched the install video from JC Refrigeration, I'll do a search on you tube and watch them also. Good point about keeping it close. Thanks for that...

LeeB
We chose to go with the 120vac compressor conversion, which runs well on my MSW inverter.
Easy Peazy with the conversion and did it myself inside the coach.
I really don't see the problem with boon docking, since most everyone runs their genset a couple of times a day, anyway.
I mean, what does everyone with the new rigs do, whereas most all come with residential units these days?.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #7

I replaced mine by myself inside the coach. I removed the doors and dropped the fridge face first with the top resting on a workhorse. That way when it came to attaching the inside screws, i could climb under the fridge. If the holes didn’t line up, i could go back and move the cooling unit a little and it would stay in place allowing me to climb back under and install the screws.

Also, i left it running on ac that night before reinstalling it in the cabinet just to make sure all was good.

Dont skimp on the foam insulation.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #8

Let us know how the change out goes.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I replaced mine by myself inside the coach. I removed the doors and dropped the fridge face first with the top resting on a workhorse. That way when it came to attaching the inside screws, i could climb under the fridge. If the holes didn’t line up, i could go back and move the cooling unit a little and it would stay in place allowing me to climb back under and install the screws.

Also, i left it running on ac that night before reinstalling it in the cabinet just to make sure all was good.

Dont skimp on the foam insulation.
Do ya suppose we were intercommunicating somehow....lol
Did mine in a like manner, this last Feb.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Do ya suppose we were intercommunicating somehow....lol

Did mine in a like manner, this last Feb.

Great minds think alike.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Great minds think alike.
There ya go....lol
Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #12

Did mine about two years ago really easy. Been working great.
I got the 120V system.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
LeeB:

We did the Amish cooling unit replacement along supplemental fans, etc. on a Norcold in a previous coach. It turned what was barely a fair fridge into a great appliance.

Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #14

I did mine about five years ago. We were going off grid for 6-8 day stretches.
Overall I like the unit as it was a great improvement over the basic Norcold 1200LRIM

I also did the ARP refrigerator controls which made me feel a lot better.

However --- after several years I began to see significant rust inside the boiler tube and it was becoming a bit less efficient. The rust was enough that it clogged up the burner tube as it fell and I had to clean it several times. There would literally be a half inch of rust flakes in the pan at the bottom of the burner that needed cleaning out.
Some of that could be because I live in Florida where there is high humidity and lot of things rust. (Not near the ocean --well inland) It appeared to me the inside coating was deficient.

I have a Norcold in my newer, just purchased RV, and think this time I will go with a 12V compressor unit. With good batteries and perhaps some solar I would like to go 2 days at a time between having to fire up the generator.
We will see.

Shout all you want but I DO NOT want a residential unit, and am not answering why not ---- Just my preference.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling