Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Bizarre Electrical Issue

I have a truly bizarre electrical issue. Whenever a significant load is added, particularly the furnace or the heat pump, the overhead lights in the cab area come either on or off.

It is the two lights beneath the drop down bunk, they keep switching by themselves and I have absolutely no way to control them. This is only our second night in the rig and this did not occur last night. I did not make any changes to any systems today, I can’t for the life of me figure this one out.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

We need info about your rig make model year. Are you on shore power or battery or generator. Assume not battery because of the heatpump.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

2 clicks for the info.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-06-13-23-23-58.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	289427
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P

Currently hooked up to 50 amp shore power. No issues noted with the 110. This seems to be primarily a 12 volt issue. It is now happening when I turn on other 12 volt light systems as well. Ex... I turn on the Bathroom lights and the same two front bunk lights turn on and off.

I can audibly hear the switch in power from the 12v panel whenever anything comes on or off. Not sure if that is normal or not. All lights are controlled via the Precision control panel. And these bunk lights do not have an independent switch that I have located.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #5

Found the independent switch. Using it does nothing to resolve the problem.

I have tried a hard reboot both by cutting the 12v main and by cutting all power including the 110. Problem persists.

Trying to hunt down which fuse those lights are on but labelling is not getting me to the right one.

I have noted the problem only occurs when I switch the other lights via the control panel.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #6

One last update before bed... Found the fuse and have pulled it. The problem is at least temporarily alleviated. Certainly concerned thought that this might be a symptom of a bigger electrical problem.

Quick recap - I am plugged into shore power. I have a factory installed surge protector and use a seperate one at the pedestal. Power has been consistent and I have not observed any challenges with the 110.

Tonight we observed that when the furnace or heat pump turned on the two 12v LED lights in the drivers area in the drop down bunk would turn on or off by themselves. As I searched for the problem I learned that controlling other lights via the Precision Circuits control board would also turn those two lights on or off. The physical wall mounted switches did not have the same effect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have... Of note, our dealer is still closed for service due to COVID so we do not have readily available professional assistance

Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #7

A broken or poor ground could cause this, you would get a hot neutral that is not switched on that light circuit.
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppDogg View Post
A broken or poor ground could cause this, you would get a hot neutral that is not switched on that light circuit.
I am a poor electrician at best... Where am I trouble shooting that? In the panel? At the lights?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide

Old 06-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #9

The heat pump uses 12v for controls and likely the furnace is a 12v device as well, so your issue, as you speculate, is with the 12v system.

I suspect the issue is with the control panel, but I am unfamiliar with that set up. If it's a solid state system with printed circuits, that's where the problem probably lies, or at least a connection of some type to the circuit board or module. This is something for warranty repair, IMO, and if you can live with it until you can get to the service center, that is what you'll have to do.

BTW, when the lights go either ON or OFF, you can turn them back ON or OFF by using the wall switch, correct?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #10

Yes, sounds like a 12v issue. Check the grounds. It is almost always the grounds.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

BTW, when the lights go either ON or OFF, you can turn them back ON or OFF by using the wall switch, correct?
Thanks! And correct the malfunctioning lights still respond to both the control panel switch and the physical switch.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #12

Very complicated Switch

OK... This definitely appears to be way beyond my skill set. I pulled the panel... took one look at the spaghetti back there and promptly put the panel back.

In playing, I have learned this is likely the most complicated switch I have ever encountered. The two lights that were malfunctioning are those mounted in the bottom of the drop down bunk. They are on fuse 46 which I have pulled in order to alleviate the problem. In trying to trouble shoot I lowered the bed to see if there was a pinch in the wiring somewhere. When I did that a new set of lights came on. Two lights in the roof are activated when the bunk is fully deployed and the two under the bunk are cut out. Those “new” lights are on their own fuse. When I tested these lights, they are subject to the exact same problem. Now I have to figure out which fuse they are on

Old 06-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #13

Bad ground

Ditto bad ground, worked in auto/truck repair for 40 years and have found when electricals are doing strange things its almost always a bad ground, probably when the furnace or water pump are turned on because an electric motor is involved and extra amps through the negative system are needed to make them run, so the circuit tries to get needed grounding from what ever source there is, most likely the 12 volt lights. As far as finding it you just need to start looking, id start at the coach batteries and go from there, may be some ground lugs inside the fuse boxes as well, check them make sure they are tight and no corrosion, corrosion causes heat and heat restrictes voltage/ amp flow.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Ditto bad ground, worked in auto/truck repair for 40 years and have found when electricals are doing strange things its almost always a bad ground, probably when the furnace or water pump are turned on because an electric motor is involved and extra amps through the negative system are needed to make them run, so the circuit tries to get needed grounding from what ever source there is, most likely the 12 volt lights. As far as finding it you just need to start looking, id start at the coach batteries and go from there, may be some ground lugs inside the fuse boxes as well, check them make sure they are tight and no corrosion, corrosion causes heat and heat restrictes voltage/ amp flow.
Thanks for the further explanation. That helps me understand... I should have thought of that in the first place. The point the ground connected to the frame on my last two RV’s also caused me grief and required attention. Sounds like that will be the place to start.

Anyone on here with a 35P know where the ground contacts the frame?

Tags
electric, electrical