Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Keep your black tank closed until you are ready to dump. I think everybody agrees on that. The disagreement comes on gray tank.

Look at the following video on why you should keep your gray tank closed.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks....

You are all great... and I have to give kudos to "sewer pickles" .... good for a morning laugh!
I got it... closed until you need. Your right, I should have thought about it more, thought gravity flow must have some incline angle to it and thus it might just go out... but that would be too easy. RV's are great, but not that easy

Thanks again to all.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my first motorhome in 1974. The rule back then was black open and grey closed. I have been doing that for 43 years and never a sewage problem. I do close the grey the day before leaving to use the grey water as a hose rinse.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave the black tank closed until the tank is about 2/3. I leave the grey tank open because my DW uses the washer just about every day. I do close the grey tank a day before we dump the black tank to flush out the hose.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

We leave black closed (this is a must) and grey open. We have a black tank rinse option which flushes the sewer hose in place of dumping the grey tank. For us it is a nice feeling to not have to be watching the level of the grey tank and dumping it frequently. Black tank only needs dumping about every 5 days. Grey would need more, at least with our tank capacities and life style.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #20

Black tank always closed. Sometimes we leave grey tank open some times not. Seems to depend on whether DW is in charge or I am. We also have black tank rinse feature that will help. DW likes to have grey open, doesn't like standing in grey water in shower. I worry about building up sluiceways of organic material in grey as well as possible insects or small creatures coming up hose into tank. Small alligators maybe[emoji849]. So I close grey but am delegated to make sure it is drained frequently.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Leave the black tank closed until it's at least 2/3 full. It needs water in it or you'll end up with dried sewer pickles in the bottom.
Some people leave the gray water valve open but I like to use that water to flush the hose after draining the black tank.
+1 on this comment.

Rob
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I read an article a year ago, stating everyone in camp should keep their valves closed as if left open it messes up the campground septic venting system and sewer gas can back up into your rig. Just saying...
Old 08-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I read somewhere that since we have 2 macerating toilets with some type double p trap type plumbing in our new 2020 Discovery XLE, you can leave both the grey and black tanks open without any odors getting into the coach. I understand because of the clothes washer, dish washer and unending hot shower water that it is possible. The Maceration basically grinds every thing up into a liquid so there are no solids to pile up…right? And it all goes right down to the sewer. I have been testing this out for the past 3 weeks and it seems to be true. Anyone else do, read or heard this? Or is it just wishful thinking?
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #24

The mere chance that fumes from the park septic system COULD use your tank/vent as a path of least resistance and vent through your system...

Then add the slightest possibility that some insects and/or critter can get into your waste system from either tank left open...

To me.. far out weighs any inconvenience of pulling a drain valve... once a day, twice a day if need be...

I always keep tanks closed until needing to dump even when connected to park hook ups...
Old 08-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #25

Beating the dead horse...Both closed until black water is 3/4 full. First black, then grey.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:38 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I bought my first motorhome in 1974. The rule back then was black open and grey closed.
LOL. That rule was changed in 1975. You must have missed the memo

It's now "Black closed" and "Grey open or closed". Just have some grey water in the tank so when you dump the Black you can follow with the grey water to wash down the inside of the slinky.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I bought my first motorhome in 1974. The rule back then was black open and grey closed. I have been doing that for 43 years and never a sewage problem. I do close the grey the day before leaving to use the grey water as a hose rinse.
If you read this crazy statement, you will see I said I closed the grey the day before leaving. Meaning the grey was open. I had a senior moment. It should be black closed and grey open until day before leaving. Sometimes a 80 year old brain just sucks.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Leave the black closed till it is ready to dump.
Grey is optional but nice to have grey to help rinse after dumping black.

I typically leave both closed until needing to dump.
Only exception is if laundry is being done then grey is left open.

I follow your rules exactly - black always closed unless dumping, grey closed unless dumping or laundry being done, especially multiple loads.

Tags
grey tank, tank