Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Black tank auto flush plugged

Hi all, My wife and I are proud new owners of a Tiffin Alegro Bay 38ft chassie workhorse, on our last trip out our black tank auto flush valve became clogged, this past weekend I removed the sensor from the black tank and cleaned it, after replacing it back in to the tank it seems to be plugged? no water passing thru.

any advice would be appriciated
srrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a common problem on the black tank sprayer. You can remove it and drill the holes out a little larger to keep it from clogging.

Check out the Tiffin site and do a search to find out how to and what size drill bit to use.

TiffinRVNetwork
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Pretty common problem with flush systems. There is a backflow prevention valve on the line for the flush, normally found in the shower vanity that has a tendency to malfunction. Check it first. If that is not it then you probably will have to remove and clean out the holes. If the coach is new, that should be a warranty issue. Good luck.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Hey me too!! I went out a few weeks ago and after dumping the black tank I tried to flush... Nothing I could not hear any water going in. Guess I have to track down this sprayer pipe in the tank?? Now that has got to be tons of work I can barley even see the darn tank.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #5

good luck to you as well, thanks for replying
srrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

Ditto to all of the above replies... all brands seem to suffer from the same issue.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #7

On my Bus, this happened as I got lazy and did not use the spray flush device every time. I believe that when the tank is nearly full and you are traveling, solids slosh around and foul the small ports in the spray head, dry out later leaving solids to block the small ports. My spray head is on top of the black tank in a location that requires that both the top access panel and the entire back panel to be removed to access the spray head. Not wanting to do this, I rigged a tank and hose to the spray head, bypassing the vacuum breaker, added black tank crud remover and allowed the remover to slowly drain into the tank through the spray head. It took nearly a week for all of the chemical to drain into the black tank, but it did the job and works perfectly now. I NEVER fail to use the tank flush head now.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The location of the sprayer varies, from model to model. On our Phaeton, it was behind the solid panel, on the PS. After removing the panel you can get to the sprayer and remove it from the tank, just three screws. Drill out the holes to 3/32, and replace on the tank. Should be no more problems. The side panels are just screwed to the frame. Just be careful removing the side panel. I used a milk carton, with an old blanket on top to let the panel down easy. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra pair of hands on the job.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Srrv...since you are new owners, have you used the black tank flush before? We thought ours quit after the first time using it, however realized it had never worked..the flush hose was kinked so no water was getting in at all.
Had it repaired without a problem.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

On our MH the black tank valve must be open for the sprayer to work. Have you checked this out?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
On our MH the black tank valve must be open for the sprayer to work. Have you checked this out?
On ours the black tank valve doesn't have to be open but if you forget and leave the black tank flush running you will wish it had been.

(No, I don't speak from personal experience.)
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
On ours the black tank valve doesn't have to be open but if you forget and leave the black tank flush running you will wish it had been.

(No, I don't speak from personal experience.)
Well... I can speak from personal experience.

I really like being able to fill the black tank via the flush connection for cleaning purposes but found out the hard way that one cannot try to multi task while doing this.

Hopefully, it's one of those things that I'll only do once.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #13

I came very close to having a major issue when I decided to back wash the black tank with the valve CLOSED. Only a panic shout from the wife woke me up to opening the valve in the nick of time!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #14

When you remove the spray head from the tank and get ready to drill out the holes slightly larger, 3/32 is the drill size recommended.
Been there and done it. Have not had a problem since.

Tags
tank