Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
There are services around the country that offer tank/gauge cleaning with a high pressure system. I've seen them running around at FMCA rallys. Once you get it drained and are sure that it's dumping here's some tips to keep it running smooth.
1) use only septic safe T.P.
2) Toss the T.P. that is used for pee in the trash can under the sink or get a can with a lid on it. (hate to sound sexist but this is something most women use the most tp for)
3) Try not to dump the black tank until it's at least half full. I like to go to about 3/4 with some driving around in between dumps.
4) I use 3 cap fulls of Liquid Ridex after every dump. There are other products out there but in 8 yrs of most timing (10-11 months/yr) we haven't had a problem with the dump getting clogged. Gauges yes.
5) We only hook up to the city water connection to fill our fresh water tank. This does a couple of things. It reduces the number of times we have to sanitize the system. It also allows me to gauge how accurate the waste tanks indicators gauges are. We have found that the gray water fills about twice as fast as the black water tanks. I can also just look down the toilet and see how full the black water tank is. So take a peek when it's freshly dumped, when it says it's 1/2 full, 3/4, and full.
Hope all the suggestions help.
Safe Travels and Happy Dumping
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Our last coach had a standard toilet (not a maserator). We kept up with it but every once and a while it would get TP build up even after flushing it out multiple times.

What we would do is fill it half way with fresh water put in a cup of powdered soap and take it for a ride. Normally we would do that when we were moving from one location to another but if you need to do it then disconnect and try it.

All the sloshing on the side roads mixes everything up. When you get back connect the hose and drain. It will look like you have a maserator toilet.
I do something similar. We dump at the campground, then put a few gallons in the black tank and drive home. Then I dump again at home. Even without the soap what we get out at home is pretty gross. I'm fortunate to have a septic tank at home I can dump into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If I do it right ((I use a clear extension on my sewer outlet) I can open the dump valve, and look down teh throat of the sea-land toilet and see daylight.. And the gauges show 2/3 full... I know that tank is empty. very empty but the gauge shows 2/3 full.

There are better ways to make gauges, some day Ill convert
My black tank gauge shows 2/3 almost all the time. I can rinse thoroughly and sometimes get it to show empty, then very quickly after starting to use it again it'll show 2/3. Frustrating. I do know that when it starts showing full, I can stand on the pedal for several minutes before I start hearing it back up the pipe (our down pipe has a 90 degree bend). So if it starts showing full I know it's not critical and I just dump at the first opportunity.

Drives my wife nuts
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #17

Had similar problem, ended up being a rag in the tank that would float over exit in tank thereby stopping the flow. I needed a power flush by a septic service to force it out.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #18

As we boondock/dry camp almost exclusively, adding water to an empty holding tank after dumping is not a good option for us and we have never done so. While I can see the value in doing so, I would guess it may not be an option for others as well. While we all have solutions that work for us, I can only say that we have not had a clog in 35 years after we stopped putting TP in the holding tanks. Obviously this is not for everyone, but it works for us. I'm thinking it also helps with the in tank gauge sensors too.

I hope your tank can be cleared with a minimum amount of "mess".

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #19

The level sensors are extremely inaccurate. Debris catches on the sensors showing false readings all the time. After dumping I add a squirt of dishwashing soap and 10 gallons of water to clean the tank when I drive to a new campground. Cleans the tank and sensors and makes it fresh smelling.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #20

Camping world sells a tank cleaner that works really well. I emptied my tank, flushed as good as possible, filled the tank 3/4 full of water, dumped the bottle of cleaner in. We live in our coach so we used the toilet until it was full. Then I drained and flushed the tank and gauges started working.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
As we boondock/dry camp almost exclusively, adding water to an empty holding tank after dumping is not a good option for us and we have never done so. While I can see the value in doing so, I would guess it may not be an option for others as well. While we all have solutions that work for us, I can only say that we have not had a clog in 35 years after we stopped putting TP in the holding tanks. Obviously this is not for everyone, but it works for us. I'm thinking it also helps with the in tank gauge sensors too.

I hope your tank can be cleared with a minimum amount of "mess".

Steve
Steve, maybe TP technology has progressed in the last 35 years that now you can actually use in a RV. Just my normal caveat not to use John Wayne or Star Trek TP. If you do have a problem with the Star Trek brand, you may have to call on Scott to fix it.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #22

Well, I will put on my rain gear and try some of these suggestions. Can't see down toilet so maybe I'll put goggles on and work from other end.
Lucky duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky duck View Post
Well, I will put on my rain gear and try some of these suggestions. Can't see down toilet so maybe I'll put goggles on and work from other end.
The first thing I would do is make sure that my black tank valve is opening completely.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Steve, maybe TP technology has progressed in the last 35 years that now you can actually use in a RV. Just my normal caveat not to use John Wayne or Star Trek TP. If you do have a problem with the Star Trek brand, you may have to call on Scott to fix it.
To each his/her own. I un-plugged our black tank once and don't intend to do it again if I can help it. Thirty five years without a black tank problem would indicate to me that I'm doing something correctly.

In spite of all the technological advances, the things still seem to get themselves plugged, hence this thread. Thanks anyway for the words of wisdom.

Steve
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #25

Quote:
That's the end I had to work from when I cleaned ours out. I was able to push a stick in there gingerly and was fortunate enough to have it start flowing with a trickle rather than a rush. I then closed the valve, connected the hose and it drained, much to my relief.

I was guilty of leaving a small amount in it thinking that I would be using it soon enough and it would be all right. It was a few months before we used it again and I believe most of the liquid had evaporated leaving a paper mache + other ingredients plug. What I saw looking through the business end of the dumping apparatus looked like mostly dried paper. I consider myself lucky to have avoided a deluge of bad stuff. I hope you are also as fortunate.

Now I dump after a trip regardless of how much is in the tank, first adding water if there is not much in it, as others have suggested.

Steve
Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So my black tank seems to be clogged, when I go to dump I don't seem to get much flow. Gauge says 2/3 but nothing comes out. I realize those gauges get stuff hung up on them , so any advice on keeping tank minty clean? I've heard drain-o, vinegar, ice.

The "RVgeeks" have a very well done 15 minute youtube video entitled "How to Dump & Clean an RV Black Tank" that has over 1.2 millions views.

This explained how to overcome all my previous difficulties.
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #27

In my first rv, I had the same problem. When they cut the hole for the toilet at the factory, they let part of the cutout fall into the tank.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
In my first rv, I had the same problem. When they cut the hole for the toilet at the factory, they let part of the cutout fall into the tank.
Had that happen on my old coach. The coach was 25 years old before that piece of plastic finally made it to the valve and jammed it when I tried to close it at the dump station.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank