RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Black Tank Design

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue but it seems that, between poor water flow and questionable design, the toilet in our 2004 Holiday Rambler does not really flush too well.

As noted, the water flow is kind of weak - granted we have not hooked up to city water as of yet (it's been only the pump) but it doesn't really get much pressure. Couple that with the fact that there appears to be an elbow, or trap, about a foot down from the toilet and things just do not clear very easily from there.

I know about using the right paper and not too much of it but it just seems that the design (elbow or trap) is really not conducive to a decent flush.

Is this something anyone has dealt with before? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #2

What toilet do you have...Brand/Model?

What is water pressure/flow like at other faucets?

Low water flow due to clogged toilet water supply valve/clogged toilet water inlet/nozzle to bowl etc WILL cause flushing contents down into black tank issues because NOT enough water is being used.

My toilet line has TWO (2) 45* elbows and flushes contents just fine.
Course I fill Bowl up with water if #2 before opening toilet blade/ball and dropping contents down into tank.....as gravity is what is really at work when using an RV toilet vs 'flushing'.
That is why lots of water should be used (full bowl at least) when flushing an RV toilet.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

Maybe if you hold the pedal partially to fill the bowl more before flushing it'd push it on down better. We have the same setup with the 90 degree turn to the tank, and it works well for us. We have to dump the tank more often, but we haven't gotten any clogs in the down pipe.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #4

I know about using the right paper and not too much of it but it just seems that the design (elbow or trap) is really not conducive to a decent flush.

I hope that you aren't using either the John Wayne or Star Trek variations of toilet paper.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post

I hope that you aren't using either the John Wayne or Star Trek variations of toilet paper.

Why NOT..........???

I use the SAME soft fluffy 2 ply TP from S&B and it is a big ole wad...
Two 45* elbows in toilet line to black tank
Two 90* elbows on dump line
NO problems with any flow issues

When going #2 fill the toilet bowl UP before flushing.
Water is HEAVY. With the volume and gravity everything goes DOWN.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

If you're looking for the RV toilet to go "swoosh" "gurgle" and swirl water like it does at home, it ain't gonna happen.

Your RV toilet is really just a small bucket that the bottom comes out of when you push the pedal. Then the contents travel to a large bucket (black tank) until you empty it into a sewage treatment system (campground dump connection). It's nothing like a septic system or S&B toilet.

An elbow in the flush pipe is very common and does not cause a problem.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Why NOT..........???

I use the SAME soft fluffy 2 ply TP from S&B and it is a big ole wad...
Two 45* elbows in toilet line to black tank
Two 90* elbows on dump line
NO problems with any flow issues

When going #2 fill the toilet bowl UP before flushing.
Water is HEAVY. With the volume and gravity everything goes DOWN.

The John Wayne is ruff and tuff and won't take carp off anybody, and the Star Trek paper is a little better as it is always patrolling the Uranus sector looking for Klingons.
chaq tanks qIj reH Hoch ghoQ je po dew 'ej 'a ghIH Hegh Hegh quvHa'.

Tags
black tank, tank