Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Black tank flushing

wAS WONDERING, when I flush the black tank---when I connect the hose--does it spray water all around the tank--or just like a hose in one spot. I noticed today that if I left the valve open--- the water was clear--but I would close the valve--wait a couple of minutes--open the valve=water not clear--so I did it this way until clear--just wondering--does this have a spray nozzel on the inside or just one stream--1996 HR---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Normaly has a number of holes at different angles, newer have a swivel head that moves.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

I believe mine has some kind of spray arm in it, can't see it except when you open the valve in the bottom of the toilet and something goes by the opening. I usually turn it one and run for 3-5 minutes before opening the drain valve, that way I know what is in the tank is stirred some, then I drain the tank and close the valve and run it for 3-5 minutes at least 3 times. I read a trick to loosen the stuck on stuff, was when getting ready to hit the road, pour in 2 bags of ice cubes and let them slosh around while driving. Am going to give it a shot when we head out to Florida at the end of the month. Hell, can't hurt and as long as it isn't big chunks, shouldn't do any damage to the tank...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is my understanding that it does spray out in a pattern but you have to wonder how effective it is to "scrub" the sides. Regardless, I have a similar pattern of how it works with the valve open vs closed. I just go ahead and close the valve with the spray going for a few minutes and let it kinda "soak". I then open it and if it still seems that more cleaning is in order, I repeat.

Keep in mind that if you get a few gallons of water in the tank that is should flow a bit harder thus helping pull more "stuff" out. So, I think it is normal, especially if you have low water pressure, if you don't see as much cleaning action with an empty black tank and the valve open.

Once you are satisfied, don't forget to close the valve and run about 2-3 gallons of water in the blank tank to begin the next cycle.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

I wouldn't worry too much about it - the only time it needs to be clean is prior to storage and then I normally quarter fill with water, start driving and DW drops 20lb of ice down the toilet. Then flush, drop in about 5 gallons of fresh water with a sanitizer and store.
Any other time, it's going to get filled up with pee and poo again anyway!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

The nozzle in the Tiffin Bus has NUMEROUS small spray holes, but it is located about as far as it can get from the tank outlet. This means that moving clumps of "stuff" from that position to the outlet may take a while and some clear spray water will be exiting before all the "stuff" is all cleaned out. I usually spray mine for 2-3 minutes after the effluent first runs clean and get a few more clumps out. Keep doing what ever you've found works for you, and your system will be fine. You're obviously getting what needs to be removed cleaned out.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Hey Pigman, how do you tow your Chevy? I just bought a Class A and intend on towing, but from what I found on the internet you have to tow the 1500 on a dolly loaded backwards...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.E.Driver View Post
Hey Pigman, how do you tow your Chevy? I just bought a Class A and intend on towing, but from what I found on the internet you have to tow the 1500 on a dolly loaded backwards...
Welcome to the forum but let's stay on topic please.

Feel free to begin your own thread or use our PM function.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

A.C.E.Driver, check your PM's
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank